Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crowfall Q&A Live for September: Action Harvesting - Official Discussion

1 hour ago, Svenn said:

...what? They try to make the game engaging and your complaint is "I have to pay attention to the game"? Sorry, that doesn't make any sense at all.

It might not make sense to you but it makes sense to me. There's not much fun or engagement about farming(and there shouldn't be), and currently it's actually punishing and tiresome. So, yes, I wish I could be semi-afk whilst farming because after you farm the 100th tree it's probably not much fun anyway.

IMHO, Harvesting/farming should be something boring but rewarding, just like PvPing is risky but rewarding. So, like I said before, I don't think this concept of action harvesting will last for long(for various reasons), but if it does I wish all the luck to whoever ends up doing it, because me and other people I've talked to probably won't - even though we planned on doing it in the first place.

That's only my opinion after doing that(harvesting/farming/etc) in different games and spending quite some time while at it.

Cheers

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

13 minutes ago, BaSkA said:

It might not make sense to you but it makes sense to me. There's not much fun or engagement about farming(and there shouldn't be), and currently it's actually punishing and tiresome. So, yes, I wish I could be semi-afk whilst farming because after you farm the 100th tree it's probably not much fun anyway.

IMHO, Harvesting/farming should be something boring but rewarding, just like PvPing is risky but rewarding. So, like I said before, I don't think this concept of action harvesting will last for long(for various reasons), but if it does I wish all the luck to whoever ends up doing it, because me and other people I've talked to probably won't - even though we planned on doing it in the first place.

That's only my opinion after doing that(harvesting/farming/etc) in different games and spending quite some time while at it.

Cheers

So you think that gathering SHOULD be boring. That's not one of their goals, though. They are trying to make gathering be NOT boring. Sorry that they are trying to make gathering more interesting than other games?

Making a system intentionally boring, yet easy, so that people can AFK it isn't a very good design.

If you don't like gathering then don't do it. Leave it to the players that do want to do it. You can always go kill stuff for different resources and trade.

Edited by Svenn

Guild Leader of Seeds of War

54 minutes ago, Svenn said:

So you think that gathering SHOULD be boring. That's not one of their goals, though. They are trying to make gathering be NOT boring. Sorry that they are trying to make gathering more interesting than other games?

Making a system intentionally boring, yet easy, so that people can AFK it isn't a very good design.

If you don't like gathering then don't do it. Leave it to the players that do want to do it. You can always go kill stuff for different resources and trade.

I tried to say harvesting is boring and shouldn't be forcefully made fun, or in our case click intensive. And I enjoy gathering, just not like this. Time will tell how good or bad action harvesting is, and I just hope ACE will hear the community and improve it if needed, so no point in discussing preferences.

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

4 minutes ago, BaSkA said:

I tried to say harvesting is boring and shouldn't be forcefully made fun, or in our case click intensive.

You want harvesting to be boring... which boggles my mind. I don't understand why anyone would WANT a game system to be boring instead of having them actually try to make it more interesting/fun.

4 minutes ago, BaSkA said:

And I enjoy gathering, just not like this.

Do you? The only thing you've said is that you enjoy alt-tabbing or doing something else while gathering. Doesn't sound like you enjoy it at all if you need something else to keep you entertained while doing it. Sounds like you enjoy having resources and gathering is just a necessary evil.

6 minutes ago, BaSkA said:

Time will tell how good or bad action harvesting is, and I just hope ACE will hear the community and improve it if needed, so no point in discussing preferences.

I'm all for improvements... but "make it more boring" isn't what I would call an improvement.

Personally, I'd like to see lots of options for harvesting. Plain harvesting, killing mobs (which we will have in the form of stuff like leather/skinning), Firefall style combat harvesting (in Firefall you dropped a harvester and defended it from enemies until it finished gathering), etc. Put ALL of it in to give people lots of options.

Guild Leader of Seeds of War

1 minute ago, BaSkA said:

I tried to say harvesting is boring and shouldn't be forcefully made fun, or in our case click intensive. And I enjoy gathering, just not like this. Time will tell how good or bad action harvesting is, and I just hope ACE will hear the community and improve it if needed, so no point in discussing preferences.

There is a huge point to discussing preferences, in so much as the percentage of potential players in the target audience with the same preferences can be identified.

Unfortunately, what we have is a bit of an echo chamber of a rather small sampling of potential players who have proven themselves willing to take a chance on a product, before the product is finished. Basically all ACE has to go on is hearing all preferences, and guessing from historical experience (and they have a pile of that), exactly who and what those preferences represent.

There are people who prefer to build a bot or program to do grind leveling/acquiring for them.  CF however seems to be designed to thwart that type of playstyle at every turn possible. I'm not certain if it is primarily because of the inherent imbalance that putting humans in a competitive environment against teams that have humans and machines enhancing their efficiency, or if it's because ACE developers personally find little to no value is grind game play.

I suspect more of the later than the former.