Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

Meet the Stoneborn! - Official Discussion Thread

Its about time >: / but im still gonna nick pick. They're tall, wide, and made of stone. What exactly kind of 'dodge' do they have? Do they just roll into a boulder ?

Knockdown resistance would make sense but being on the ground for less amount of time? I'm trying to imagine one of these guys on their back and then flipping onto their feet.. Turtles are hard to knock over but if you do they're on their back for quite awhile!

First, I am glad to get some Stoneborn info--thanks!  However, and I hate to be the party-pooper, but I have reservations about that model.  I have appreciated the concept art and environments and animations that ACE has created, pretty much without ever feeling compelled to critique it much because it has been very good.   However, this model, at least as it appears in the announcement, is subpar. 

I know it is early, I know that little equipment is shown, I know that it is a generic pose, etc.--I know that this is all largely subjective--but as a follower of all things dwarven since Rankin/Bass, I feel like I must speak up.  Please consider altering the Stoneborn model. 

My dwarf and/or Stoneborn suggestions for your consideration:

• more craggy and distinct facial features, increase the head size overall 
  • reduce the arm size (they can be big, but not that big)
  • Increase the waist size--dwarves do not make fitness models with v-tapers and "hooligan lines".  
  • Feet and hands should remain large, but not so exageratedly disproportionate.
  • Consider adjusting overall shape/dimension slightly to more of an egg shape (mountain shaped, if you will).  

That being said, I do love the hugeness of his beard--thank you for not giving him an undwarfy, reedy, wee beard!

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Think HG is still my favorite as far as abilities go, and half-elf as far as aesthetic/lore, so half bloods it is.

EDIT: But Templar is my favorite class, so... guess I'll just be suboptimal.

Edited by yamix

6 hours ago, Tinnis said:

Let the race war pre-emptive theorycrafting begin!

[all racial discipline previews]

If there was a 12 faction 'Infected' world band where each faction was only one of each race:

Which would you choose and why - what are the pros and cons? Who would win? Who would lose?

Bearing in mind race/class combos...

Thanks for putting these together. Where did you get the High-Elf and Wood-Elf info? I wanted to read the announcements further to decide what to combine with Frostweaver, but couldn't seem to locate the threads.

35 minutes ago, ClockworkOrange said:

Thanks for putting these together. Where did you get the High-Elf and Wood-Elf info? I wanted to read the announcements further to decide what to combine with Frostweaver, but couldn't seem to locate the threads.

They were revealed in Livestreams, I think. Tinnis will probably link them later- he's resourceful like that :P

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Check out the overall shape of these Dwarves:

Look at the width of this one front to back, and how his head hangs between his shoulders:

dwarf_king_by_jimbradyart.jpg

And here--hands, arms and feet are still very large but not gigantic:

abdd141cc41de36e78e77d8f7be02806--charac

And finally, one of my favorites--this is admittedly a fat dwarf, not a Stoneborn--but I think this may be one of the best illustrations the merit of some of my suggestions:

tough_dwarf_polypaint_by_ivilai-d4gko4g.

None of the linked artwork is mine.  I've include these images for illustrative purposes as they are some of the best examples of "Dwarves" that I have found online.  

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Completely agree with both of @Regulus's posts. That was my first thought upon seeing the art as well was that it was not right in several ways. A bit disappointing so hopefully it's not too late to go back and make some adjustments. I think the overly exaggerated look isn't going to feel right in this game, but Regulus's ideas are on point for what needs to be done.

8 hours ago, ClockworkOrange said:

from twitch streams

wood-elf [my screenshot was from a previous stream reveal, but this one shows in action]

high-elf

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png