Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

Meet the Stoneborn! - Official Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, Tinnis said:

from twitch streams

wood-elf [my screenshot was from a previous stream reveal, but this one shows in action]

high-elf

Thanks for this. Gonna be pretty hard to choose anything aside from wood-elf because of dissipate for Frostweaver. ACE did a good job as all three Frostweaver classes have something I like and I typically don't like elves or fairies.

Now I just need Frostweaver to be awesome. Best for last right mctan?

11 hours ago, miraluna said:

Stoneborn are god-sculpted, why would they have beer bellies??

It's not about beer bellies and I don't think anyone is suggesting that. It's about the overall proportions giving a better shape that looks better visually for this type of race. I mean let's just re-post this picture so we can compare. 

Crowfall_Stoneborn_Sculpt_Watermarked

2 minutes ago, Leiloni said:

It's not about beer bellies and I don't think anyone is suggesting that. It's about the overall proportions giving a better shape that looks better visually for this type of race. I mean let's just re-post this picture so we can compare. 

Crowfall_Stoneborn_Sculpt_Watermarked

the arms are way to long/big, looks stupid to me...........

One Ring to Rule them all, One Ring to Find them, One Ring to bring them all an in the darkness and bind them.

26 minutes ago, XpCjU said:

What kind of race? They aren't dwarves. 

Well, while you are right it is kinda of writen between the lines that stoneborns are the dwarves of Crowfall. The fact that the Devs wrote "younger races call them dwarves..." shows that point.

I cant put it in words (i tried yersterday but it was a mess so i gave up) but this specific model (the older one was okay) doesnt really fits the theme. If i had to put it in words it would be that it doesnt feel like a dwarf so dont ask me specifics.

If anything the Devs should show us a comparison with humans, put this model side by side with a human model. Maybe once we see how they compare this feeling will subside. Perhaps...

9 minutes ago, XpCjU said:

The older one looks kind of the same. Long arms slimish waist just wearing armor

Crowfall_StonemasterGameplay-1024x576.jp

Yeah, it is a weird feeling. I cant pinpoint why i feel this model is wrong.

Maybe is because i watched the older one in action. Could compare them with the other models too. It could even be because of the amor or posture, all older concepts were pretty cool just this one bothered me.

You guys don't like it because it makes them look like a monkey or a gorilla. ACE wanted to do a Stoneborn not a Dwarf. You can be disappointed that you don't get to play a traditional Dwarf and say it looks ugly but don't say the graphics on it are poorly done just because Stoneborn are not Dwarves.

Edited by Holyvigil

1 hour ago, XpCjU said:

The older one looks kind of the same. Long arms slimish waist just wearing armor

Crowfall_StonemasterGameplay-1024x576.jp

Besides the super odd platform boots that give me the impression his feet are just circle stub blobs (but hey, its easy to nitpick), I think the above looks awesome. It also looks very similar to the model they just showed. Best dwarf I have seen in my opinion (again I am typically a dwarf hater, it is the one race I refuse to play). I would play this race.

That Stoneborn model is going to live or die depending on how its animated in my opinion.

Its definitely not a traditional dwarf look, nor is it a traditional dwarf height. Thats two strikes against it right there to anyone that enjoys playing dwarves. But I think thats ok if the animation can round the complete package. Lord help ya, if the animation is lacking, however, because that would get my vote for least played race in the game.

PS. Please have a bald option for stoneborn as well =p 

I think the problem here is they are mixing the idea of a dwarf with a stone golem and those are two completely different fantasy ideas. But when your playerbase is expecting a dwarf but gets the humanoid version of a stone golem, expectations are not met. The proportions are exactly those of a stone golem in any game, but it has skin and hair instead of a blocky, grey stone body. This is some sort of new fantasy race but too close to existing fantasy races for it to really be appreciated for it's own thing. I think it just needs adjustments in one direction or the other and commit to the idea. Unfortunately, more people are going to want to play a dwarf, so the idea of a really tall, muscular dwarf should be the way they go, and adjustments to arms, waist, and feet need to be made so it looks less cartoonish.

Edited by Leiloni

Shorten the arms, lower the height to what we expect Dwarves to be. If Crowfall is going to have 1 zillion legolas elves running around then at least do this right. 

Love the beard though cant wait to see it in amination 

Hammers High !!  Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers

20 hours ago, miraluna said:

Stoneborn are god-sculpted, why would they have beer bellies??

I dunno... lots of "created" things don't have a waist like Zac Efron.  Also, while a dwarf fandom exists, a Stoneborn one does not and I don't think, by and large, that dwarf folks are looking to play svelte or sexy models (outside of the dozen or so lovers of the abominable Hobbit movies).  Granted, they don't need to be fat.  However, thick, stocky, dense, etc. is traditional and therefore preferable (again from dwarf enthusiasts).  That aside, I know that aesthetically ACE can do better than the current model, even if Stoneborn had nothing to do with dwarves whatsoever.    

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

1 hour ago, barab said:

Shorten the arms, lower the height to what we expect Dwarves to be. If Crowfall is going to have 1 zillion legolas elves running around then at least do this right. 

Love the beard though cant wait to see it in amination 

Agreed the beard is really cool.

I don't really have complaints about any part of the concept but having large dwarves just feels wierd.  I think just calling them stoneborn and leaving out the term dwarves all together would make more sense as that name brings certain expectations.

I understand that ACE decides what the stoneborn is.

Personally, I want the stoneborn to be dwarves.  That's a selfish wish of mine.  A shorter looking silhouette would make me happier, I want it to look stockier.  If I wanted a tall character I'd pick halfgiant.

I don't think either side is wrong.  I disagree with one side though.

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.