Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bairloch

"an Army Marches On Its Stomach." Napoleon Bonaparte

I posted a scrap of an idea in another thread, was asked to flesh it out. Here we go. 

Assumption 1: Food is necessary. We will need to eat to survive, stay warm and keep fighting.

Assumption 2: Food is heavy. You can't carry a multi-day supply with you without penalties to your fighting and survival abilities.

Assumption 3: Foraging is restricted by The Hunger. Do you really want to eat that?

Given the above, you would need a system to transport and store a large amount of food for an army on the move. Even a small one will need some sort of "chuckwagon".

So, whether you take your food with you or transport it out to your camp, you will need carts, carters and protection.

If you take the carts with you, then you have a finite amount you can carry and a predetermined distance you can go so you have the food for a round trip. Protection, however, is built in since your army stays with the carts.

If you set up a supply chain, you need good enough security either with every single caravan or stationed along the way, not too far apart that you can't come to a caravan's rescue. Prolonged sieges are more likely to need this option.

You need a good base. Food producers back home that can keep you supplied. This is true whether you take it with you or send it after.

Yes, this is simplified. Yes, it isn't directly killing someone. But I still think it would be a fun mechanic in game. YMMV.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I agree with this idea. In particular, it provides a modicum of "balance" to group sizes without excessive immersion-breaking restrictions. A small group could shoot a deer when they make camp, and be good for the night. Caches could be a thing as well, allowing people to raid them if they find them. Also, food as a real mechanic incorporates the concept of self sufficiency into character development, which I'm all about.

This idea would be particularly interesting if you coupled it with player-led units of NPC mercenaries or soldiers, ala Mount and Blade. To prevent individual players from fielding armies of NPC mercs, each NPC soldier would be an investment in training, equipment AND a constant drain on food resources. Think of food like fuel for this army of NPCs you're bringing to a siege. Run out of food and they start to desert to avoid starvation. If your food and water supply is cut off, your army evaporates before your eyes.

I like it.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Pretty much been saying this all along. Ideally, there would be enough food sources in the wild for an individual or small party to support themselves with minimal effort. As the group size grows, things like farms and supply chains would be necessary to support the population density. The maintenance costs of an army should be a limiting factor, deterring large groups from simply wrecking everyone with little planning effort involved.

Pretty much been saying this all along. Ideally, there would be enough food sources in the wild for an individual or small party to support themselves with minimal effort. As the group size grows, things like farms and supply chains would be necessary to support the population density. The maintenance costs of an army should be a limiting factor, deterring large groups from simply wrecking everyone with little planning effort involved.

Exactly. Supply chains and logistics can totally balance the megazergs somewhat, and small groups can have an edge that might be sufficient to rack up impressive scores in some of the worlds, due to the weaknesses of a supply train. 

Imagine, big group pushing past you, too big to fight. Hit their supplies with a few flaming arrows and take cover, after a bit of time, they could be weak enough to even the odds. Brings in tactics.

While I'm not sure a food mechanic is how it should be implemented. Some kind of supply system would be good. We should march on something, if not our stomachs.

An advantage to food is that it gives another kind of player-based objective. Good farmland is hard to find, and defending it could be quite difficult. I'd be ok with working the farm being automated by hiring mobs, with the players running the farm only needing to make decisions and defend it for the most part, but it seems like the best way to represent consumable supplies in a way that can easily be replenished by players willing to dedicate some skills to it for the sake of not needing to spend most of their time in town or working with huge armies.

It is deffinitely a possibility. Attacking supply lines opens new strategies. They could test it on one of the servers. That's the beauty of their system. They can take any idea and test it one of their worlds. If it works, it can be implemented on other worlds.

Racist. Not all of us need food. At least im pretty sure the Stoneborn dont... oh god, do we drink? Todd, what do the stoneborn drink?! But seriously ;o

I'm no racist, you're a bunch of cheaters! Cheaters!

Seriously though, good point. Do they need sustenance of any kind? Maybe some lube for sandy joints?

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Have you ever stepped on a Lego ? Now imagine the Lego is made of Granite. And you want to stomp on it? Seriously, you'd probably lose a leg.

This is why the All Father invented Sledge Hammers and Centaurs to wield them.

Oh, they'll need some lube all right...

Dont insinuate, just say it, its okay. Admit you have a Dwarf fetish.

@Gauis im not really sure if Centaurs can actually use Sledge Hammers as a weapon, but it brings something to my mind. If i were to break one of your legs, would the other centaurs have to shoot you?

Seriously guys, i can do this all god damn day :P proud to be dwarf

Edited by dwarfurious

This approach also opens up another layer in the economy - food suppliers.  Think caterers - folks in the game that do nothing but run around heavily protected delivering food supplies for a price.

And how cool would it be if you could actually have a tavern that you could keep defended and groups could stop by and eat.  KInd of a keep everyone outside the walls and throw the food at them sorta thing. 

Love this food concept.

Edited by Oridi