Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bairloch

"an Army Marches On Its Stomach." Napoleon Bonaparte

Dont insinuate, just say it, its okay. Admit you have a Dwarf fetish.

@Gauis im not really sure if Centaurs can actually use Sledge Hammers as a weapon, but it brings something to my mind. If i were to break one of your legs, would the other centaurs have to shoot you?

Seriously guys, i can do this all god damn day :P proud to be dwarf

At least you don't have a short temper.

Dealing with you guys without going insane is a tall order.

But don't worry, it's all fun and games when I belittle you.

Dont insinuate, just say it, its okay. Admit you have a Dwarf fetish.

@Gauis im not really sure if Centaurs can actually use Sledge Hammers as a weapon, but it brings something to my mind. If i were to break one of your legs, would the other centaurs have to shoot you?

Seriously guys, i can do this all god damn day :P proud to be dwarf

Ah the problem being you wouldn't be able to I'd just reach out a hand put it on top of your head and watch you swing futilely. Then crush you. 

An advantage to food is that it gives another kind of player-based objective. Good farmland is hard to find, and defending it could be quite difficult. I'd be ok with working the farm being automated by hiring mobs, with the players running the farm only needing to make decisions and defend it for the most part, but it seems like the best way to represent consumable supplies in a way that can easily be replenished by players willing to dedicate some skills to it for the sake of not needing to spend most of their time in town or working with huge armies.

And nothing I said excludes any of that. I just merely said that a "Food-like" mechanic that isn't strictly "Food" might be more appropriate, as pointed out in a joke - some of the races might not eat traditional food. And we are immortal heroes, so I'm not sure about the efficacy of us living forever and needing to keep our blood sugar in check.

A "Supply" mechanic would be interesting, but whether food is the right route to take is my doubt.

Edited by PotatoMcWhiskey

Why wouldn't he just hit your arm?

Because he is dwarf, you know made of stone IOW's he literally has the same intellect as a box of rocks because that is what his brains are made out of. Then to top it off he softens his brains in too much ale.

But here we have something for our Dwarf lover, my guild playing the Dwarf Charter during "The Game That Shall Not Be Named" Lore server test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCJkuSiK8oI

P.S. Keep an eye out for that handsome Dwarf named xGauisx!

Edited by gauis

At least you don't have a short temper.

Dealing with you guys without going insane is a tall order.

But don't worry, it's all fun and games when I belittle you.

Well i'd hope not, its not like i was raised in a barn or anything, i grew up in a stable household.

I hope its nothing you cant handle, i wouldnt want to put a burden on you or anything :P

Back to serious, Stoneborn could eat gems or precious metal? For...reasons.

Necessities should absolutely be tied into game, particularly hunger, and warmth.

If they insist on calling the opposing darkness "The Hunger" without having either Hunger or Warmth play a role in day-to-day tasks I will be thoroughly annoyed.

Edited by cardeac

This is a pretty interesting subject, but it brings up a very significant gameplay decision, how much complexity is desirable or enhancing to the game.

When it comes to things like, needing to eat, sleep, use the restroom, groom, and so on, how much of it do you really want to do in a game? in Crowfall?

I really like complexity, especially when it deepens the gameplay or makes it more accessible. A very complex system can be natural if it seems practical, or actually reduce labor as it does stuff for you with little effort. But how much of this do we want in this game?

The act of going to war with someone, especially sieging a fortification could be a several month campaign, often sieges involved outlasting your invaders or defenders. travel and camping along the way, and maintaining supplies. Traditionally a major campaign would pillage the countryside along the way to sustain themselves, so they often didn't need to expressly supply themselves the entire way.

Now, considering this, as a player, logging onto a game, for how many hours do you expect to be on?, how much of that will you reasonably be willing to spend on a march, traveling to a destination, eating your way there. How long should the battle be after you get there?, how much is hunger going to play a factor? you certainly aren't going to spend any amount of time greater than the healthy duration of a gameplay session on a single endevour, sure players do it all the time, but game designs which demand it are faulty, no intelligent game design is going to demand more than a few hours of continuous play to complete an endevour...

So your gonna travel, long enough to eat, and than battle for such and such time, and maybe need to eat, and at what point is eating going to become a fun activity which makes the sieging and battlefield experience more fun?

I think having a caravan for specialized weapons and expendable weapons to outfit players with battlefield specialized equipment would be pretty cool and practical, you know exactly why your driving a catapult to a battlefield, or a ballista, or a siege tower. But your food?, I don't think any players gonna actually find that valuable, and while it might play as a strategic element... I kinda feel there are more direct battle strategies which would benefit from more attention than how your gonna haul food and protect your caravan because you need food.

In an army game simulation like civilization or something, that might be a practical element of gameplay, in an MMO with multiple players trying to make the time for an exciting engagement... it's more like a drag. Big massive multiplayer battles can be an organization chore just to get enough players to cooperate and participate at a concurrent time... I don't think it needs internal logistics as well.

So... All that said, i think food would be a compelling gameplay element >.>

But more as a individual feature for character growth. Instead of relying strictly on battling and fighting to grow your character, a combination of factors like feeding them and other things could allow effective growth rate. It's not so much to complicate the gameplay even more, as it would best if it was fairly easy to do, with special benefits for visiting player cooks and preparing special meals. That way you can grow quickly by being interactive with your characters health rather than just beating stuff...

The important thing about an auxiliary feature like this, which isn't really that interesting or "fun" on it's own, is that it is simply there as a form of diversion and not very difficult or demanding. Something small like eating at the Inn or hunting for food every now and than and knowing your character is going to grow a lot easier because you diversified your endevours can be a good way to change up gameplay behaviors and reduce monotony in character development. But making it a burden in organized player PvP >.>

It's important to note that gaining growth from eating is is no way a good feature if it's tied to external stuff like a cash shop. It's only an improvement to the game as an internal immersion and diversion tool.

Anywaaaaay, don't hate me for saying so u.u

Edited by BahamutKaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I like the idea. Though what happens when you're gd and proper starved?

Can a player die of hunger? Or should merely have their stats slashed? We could have something like the below:

Starved:  stats at 50% 

Famished:  stats at 70% 

Hungry:  stats at 90% 
Satisfied: stat at 100%
Well-fed: stats at 110%
Over-fed: stats at 80%

Some ppl might see death by hunger a bit much. Personally I'm fine with it. You can even make some foods expire after a while too :P

I like the idea. Though what happens when you're gd and proper starved?

Can a player die of hunger? Or should merely have their stats slashed? We could have something like the below:

Starved:  stats at 50% 

Famished:  stats at 70% 

Hungry:  stats at 90% 
Satisfied: stat at 100%
Well-fed: stats at 110%
Over-fed: stats at 80%

Some ppl might see death by hunger a bit much. Personally I'm fine with it. You can even make some foods expire after a while too :P

Well, to properly mix simplicity with relevance, I'd have it be a buff that updates some number of times per day cycle. An amount of food could be identified as "X time full rations". 

A character on full rations would receive no penalty, and at half rations, speed and out of combat regeneration penalties. At starving, greatly reduced stats. It would need to be updated on a timer so that people couldn't just run around below full rations until combat starts. 

In this way, micromanagement isn't needed, and each time it updates, it subtracts the appropriate amount from the food. It's reasonably simple, you don't spend half your play-session micromanaging bodily needs, but you still have to be aware of it, and it has real implications.

Well, to properly mix simplicity with relevance, I'd have it be a buff that updates some number of times per day cycle. An amount of food could be identified as "X time full rations". 

A character on full rations would receive no penalty, and at half rations, speed and out of combat regeneration penalties. At starving, greatly reduced stats. It would need to be updated on a timer so that people couldn't just run around below full rations until combat starts. 

In this way, micromanagement isn't needed, and each time it updates, it subtracts the appropriate amount from the food. It's reasonably simple, you don't spend half your play-session micromanaging bodily needs, but you still have to be aware of it, and it has real implications.

Not a bad idea. Rations makes especially more sense if factoring NPCs, as someone already mentioned earlier. Either way is fine with me. 

I've thought about this concept a lot, because I love the idea of war being more than just the main battle. But there are a few things I keep coming back to, for this system to have any merit:

1. Having lands that produce food implies persistence there, obviously. This becomes a problem when you have to defend them - whoever is in the game more has an advantage. It seems like SB dealt with that kind of conflict by having the defender agree on a time to siege, but that takes all of the fun out of raiding farmlands, imo.
  2. If cutting off supply lines is a part of sieging, it implies a lot of persistence in a siege. Same time issues apply, whoever is around more to protect supply lines is winning.

Not really sure how to address that part of it.

I like the overall idea of suppy chain, food weight and related strategies, but I was also thinking : as the Crowfall is set in a fantasy universe, the assumption number 2 might only be optional. Food doesn't have to be heavy in Crowfall. Enchanted mixtures, powders, serums... If we can cast fireballs, we clearly can make bread lighter.

I am not yet 100% convinced that the implementation of a food system would be beneficial to the game, but it would certainly be fun to give it a try.