Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fae Vs. Elves

soulein

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1695-ask-the-team/?p=45686

(It's not apparent from the screenshot, since she is next to a Gryphon, but the Fae are actually pretty small.  the... 2nd?  smallest of the races.

Proportionally, though, they might be similar enough to another archetype (like the male Frostweaver?) that we could scale them down and make it work that way. It's interesting -- I hadn't considered using cross-over skeletons as the base for a different gender!  If we could do that with others (like the Male Templar uses the same skeleton and animation set as the Male Knight, for instance) that could be a big, big savings...

So it would appear that the Fae are a different race entirely from the Blue Skinned Frostweaver (we'll call them Dar Khelegur for now), which are taller. In Shadowbane the Dar Khelegur were only one of the three hosts of elves in the Deathless Empire. Dar Khelegur translates as "High Ice Lords", and they were the cruelest and most magically inclined of the elves. They were described as having skin of flawless alabaster, but in game they had icy blue skin.

I wonder how many archetypes each race will have? Do the Fae count as a "humanoid race", or do their wings disqualify them? I'm guessing the Dar Khelegur will have a number of different archetypes, probably just as many as the humans, including the "elven blademaster" referenced in the MMORPG.com interview.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

To me, they're both pointy eared forest frolickers with fragments of tight fitting clothes. There are many types of "fae", its a broad term. That said, i'd definitely prefer Fae/Fey over Elves. We may get more 'fairy' like characters that are also of the 'fae' race. Its kind of like how some of the races might be classified as "monsters"

If the Fae have functional wings, that makes them a monster race and gender locked.

However, they would also be providing AIR SUPPORT. Because functional wings!

If they make them fly around and build the combat system around that - highly unlikely given the budget - it would be the most fascinating archetype to play.

Reasons why it won't happen:

1) They mentioned combat being driven by ground-based telegraphs (like GW2, Wildstar), there is no ground in mid-air.

2) Budget

3) 3D freedom makes for expensive path finding by NPCs. Serverload per player will increase dramatically, that's bad for #2.

4) If NPCs don't fly, then flying players will abuse the hell out of many encounters, requiring multiple balance passes, and that hits #2 again.

5) How do you balance PvP where some players can fly and some can't? Give everyone equal-distance ranged weapons, including melee classes? Give everyone grounding snare attacks that 'de-mount' fliers? It's not a trivial question to answer.

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.

1) They mentioned combat being driven by ground-based telegraphs (like GW2, Wildstar), there is no ground in mid-air.

Flying could behave like a "jet pack", where you can fly up in the air and then pick a ground target for a devastating "dive attack".

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

I can be wrong, but It seems to me that Fae come from Irish and west european folklore, myth and legends (they were spirits, related to Gnomes, Goblins, Leprechauns Trolls...).

Elven as we know them nowadays (taller than Human, long pointy ears, immortal, Forest Elf, Dark Elf, High Elf) come from more recent fantasy novels (Tolkien, Salvatore).

In general, Elves are arrogant and feel superior to other races.

Fae are more teasing, impish spirits, making jokes to travelers.

For this reason, if we have the choice to pick the race with the class we want, I would choose Fae before the Elf  :)

I can be wrong, but It seems to me that Fae come from Irish and west european folklore, myth and legends (they were spirits, related to Gnomes, Goblins, Leprechauns Trolls...).

Elven as we know them nowadays (taller than Human, long pointy ears, immortal, Forest Elf, Dark Elf, High Elf) come from more recent fantasy novels (Tolkien, Salvatore).

In general, Elves are arrogant and feel superior to other races.

Fae are more teasing, impish spirits, making jokes to travelers.

For this reason, if we have the choice to pick the race with the class we want, I would choose Fae before the Elf  :)

Fae is another word for Faerie or Fairy. Elves are the most human of all fairy folk in Germanic folklore. Elves are Fae, But Fae may not be elves. In fact, I don't recall any winged elves in Germanic folklore.

And so far I see no reason to believe Elves and Stoneborn have a traditional animosity through the lore.

And when someone (human) was said to be fey, that meant he was suicidal.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

What if the role of the elves in this game is actually the Elken, as they seem to have a built in conflict with the Stoneborn?

Personally, the elken creep me out. Stag head and legs, human body and arms... they're like Frankenstein's monster.

Personally, the elken creep me out. Stag head and legs, human body and arms... they're like Frankenstein's monster.

And I love it, lolol.  Though elves/fae are probably represented with the Assassin here and the Ice Witch thing, versions of elf types anyway.

• 1 month later...

If the Fae have functional wings, that makes them a monster race and gender locked.

However, they would also be providing AIR SUPPORT. Because functional wings!

If they make them fly around and build the combat system around that - highly unlikely given the budget - it would be the most fascinating archetype to play.

Reasons why it won't happen:

2) Budget

3) 3D freedom makes for expensive path finding by NPCs. Serverload per player will increase dramatically, that's bad for #2.

4) If NPCs don't fly, then flying players will abuse the hell out of many encounters, requiring multiple balance passes, and that hits #2 again.

5) How do you balance PvP where some players can fly and some can't? Give everyone equal-distance ranged weapons, including melee classes? Give everyone grounding snare attacks that 'de-mount' fliers? It's not a trivial question to answer.

They glide- confirmed in AMA but no word on how well/higher jumping or climbing abilities.

Fae is a reference to fairies but I doubt they will be most like fairies or dark fairies for that matter. Based upon what we know of assassins so far in this game I would guess they are most like amazonian warriors from Greek legends. They will act like a confident but graceful human in their gait and talk tough like amazons are stereo-typically portrayed. I would also bet that the only thing they take from current Fae lore sources is that they use magic, they have wings, and they have the ability to glide.

Edited by Holyvigil

• 2 weeks later...

Fae is a reference to fairies but I doubt they will be most like fairies or dark fairies for that matter. Based upon what we know of assassins so far in this game I would guess they are most like amazonian warriors from Greek legends. They will act like a confident but graceful human in their gait and talk tough like amazons are stereo-typically portrayed. I would also bet that the only thing they take from current Fae lore sources is that they use magic, they have wings, and they have the ability to glide.

I disagree with the analogy between a Fae and an Amazon. Amazons were typically portrayed as primitive and warriors, rather than the subtle rogues we've seen the Fae revealed as. This is largely in part due to the time that Amazons were believed to have lived as well as the sources which depicted them such as paintings on pots, statues, and carvings. 

The Fae seem to be more of a secretive and intelligent race, one that's kept in whispers of bars due to the pervasive nature of their profession. But at the same time modern (relative to the other races) and capable of engaging in trade and mercenary work. From what we've been told their social structure resembles more of a guild or secret organization churning out killers than a tribe in the jungles.

Relative to the elves it seems like the Fae differ in several important ways. First being presence, where as an elf at a gathering might be keeping to themselves at their table a Fae wouldn't be invited in the first place; lurking in the shadows and fulfilling their contracts a Fae would feel naked without their blade and out of place in a diplomatic setting. Second is how they carry themselves, elves typically have this holier than thou and learned attitude toward the other races. Combined with a society which likes to be generally independent in regards to relying on the other races and elf would be a sight for most humans and carry and air of mystery due to how different their cultures are. Whereas as mentioned earlier, a Faes appearance would cause a bit of unease among the other races, "Who were they there for?", "Are they going to mug me?", ect. Finally while elves like to practice magic as a way of life, learning magic in a pursuit of knowledge and betterment while respecting both the world around them and the forces which birthed their powers. Fae would be far more interested in knowing the spells that benefit them the most, and caring only about such forces sofar as they will help them get the job done or make their lives easier.

I disagree with the analogy between a Fae and an Amazon. Amazons were typically portrayed as primitive and warriors, rather than the subtle rogues we've seen the Fae revealed as. This is largely in part due to the time that Amazons were believed to have lived as well as the sources which depicted them such as paintings on pots, statues, and carvings. 

The Fae seem to be more of a secretive and intelligent race, one that's kept in whispers of bars due to the pervasive nature of their profession. But at the same time modern (relative to the other races) and capable of engaging in trade and mercenary work. From what we've been told their social structure resembles more of a guild or secret organization churning out killers than a tribe in the jungles.

Relative to the elves it seems like the Fae differ in several important ways. First being presence, where as an elf at a gathering might be keeping to themselves at their table a Fae wouldn't be invited in the first place; lurking in the shadows and fulfilling their contracts a Fae would feel naked without their blade and out of place in a diplomatic setting. Second is how they carry themselves, elves typically have this holier than thou and learned attitude toward the other races. Combined with a society which likes to be generally independent in regards to relying on the other races and elf would be a sight for most humans and carry and air of mystery due to how different their cultures are. Whereas as mentioned earlier, a Faes appearance would cause a bit of unease among the other races, "Who were they there for?", "Are they going to mug me?", ect. Finally while elves like to practice magic as a way of life, learning magic in a pursuit of knowledge and betterment while respecting both the world around them and the forces which birthed their powers. Fae would be far more interested in knowing the spells that benefit them the most, and caring only about such forces sofar as they will help them get the job done or make their lives easier.

I disagree with you. I was talking about the Fae's gait and in game voice. You are talking about player's background and what the players will do.

I would hope that the player's background and what they do would be up to the player to decide; not the devs. 

This is one of the things I dislike most about mmos. They have rather limited customization compared to traditional rpgs and the devs state they are giving the player the choice to make their own background but then they give your race a limiting background and tell you what your character does. This is why I like mmos like Eve; sure you're given some very basic background on a multi-world society that contains billions of people but being a part of it is optional and very non-descript so everyone ends up being a snowflake.

Edited by Holyvigil