Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yakkus

Hunger in Crowfall

On 10/11/2017 at 3:39 PM, entityofsin said:

Just because there's an annoying mechanic in a game doesn't mean that it's bad for the game. All history tells us is how not to do something wrong in an exact way of its entirety. What it doesn't tell us is how that idea can be done differently and get successful results. Crowfall isn't going to be perfect or extremely polished up from a balance perceptive for the first campaign at launch.

Besides, points of contention will arise around where you can get food for your character and guild. Whether that be in a forest chopping down trees or securing a POI, like a Farm Outpost (which currently doesn't exist). This would encourage healthy conflict in the game regardless if people are getting disgruntled off that they just died or lost a full inventory worth of food and resources. This game shouldn't be without risk. Going out and getting your food should have some kind of risk. It isn't just about the hunger mechanic. It's incorporating it with Crowfall's normal gameplay experience and the nature of having to go out and get food from trees or some POI is what ties in other elements of gameplay to it.

This isn't suppose to be some "PvE lets all pick carrots out of the ground and cook up some soup with our carrots so we can all eat and not die of hunger without having anyone wanting to smash our face in with an axe" type of game. There should be some kind of item exchange through people's hands by force. If this is something people don't like then it isn't a game for them. Either get better or find a new game. Completely removing a whole mechanic system from a game changes the entire feel of playing it. Removing this mechanic would do that and probably not for the best.

Guilds should have some kind of management resource for them to operate with. Food does that. Food makes the most sense too. Making it Dust Coins would be idiotic and thankfully ACE isn't doing that. The problem I have with getting rid of it is large guilds will be stronger and small guilds will stay weak cause of their lack of numbers. But the issue with large guilds is it allows them to zerg death ball up their pvp groups easier when they roam the map without any form of risk outside of a larger group rolling up on them; which might not even happen.

So that large group should have some kind of risk and cost associated to being mobilized like any army does; besides time. If it doesn't, then it's really no different than any other non-Throne War MMO.

This is all coming from a guy that wants to run his own guild and grow it to a massive size to do a lot of stuff all at once. I look forward to having the guild food management headaches.

Wrong any annoying thing is a game is annoying and not positive.  Annoying for the sake of being annoying is bad bad bad game play,

Feeding my army is fine, feeding my face is stupid.

3 minutes ago, Talizar said:

Feeding my army is fine, feeding my face is stupid.

So you want to feed your guild army but not individual players? How else would you feed a guild army if not on an individual player level?

What you said doesn't make much sense to me. Care to clarify?

Having to forage for food seems like a complete waste of time.  Having to buy or hire someone to make food for an army, town, etc is a completely different concept. 

Is this DayZ or another survival game?

When I say feeding my army or town I would expect that is done in ways other than picking fruit by my main. 

Why would any game dev put in annoying things in games?  Oh wait...Devs seem to love stuns and knock downs and other things that render my toon useless where I cannot play it for X number of seconds.    CC's are some of the most annoying and vocally complained about things in MMO games yet devs love it....So never mind.

I understand how you feel about it. I have the same feelings towards how much advantage someone has for attacking someone that's in the survival tray and then setting up during Dizzy Down to spread out stuns, more knockdowns, and other forms of CC. But I don't think it will be an issue either as someone who runs around in survival tray should be aware of that risk associated with it.

I just hope that food is generated in different ways. Farm plots at a Fort, Town, Village, etc. that yields crops or farm animals spawn in those same locations (if it makes sense) that can be killed, skinned, and looted for food and very low end hides.

The thing I don't want is the hunger mechanic placed on a guild or faction level. Cause on a faction level it just means certain guilds won't do anything to increase it. They will just be a burden to the rest of the faction. Nobody wants to deal with deadbeats. On a guild level it just seems the same as an individual level. Plus either way you go with it (guild or faction) there is the issue with how that bar is depleted. Faction activity? Guild member activity? Sounds like one heck of a balancing issue compared to keeping it on an individual level. At least on the individual level if you get someone in your guild a stack of 20 apples and they use 3 of them in the 5 hours of play that day, they are good for a few more days of consistent play time. Also from a balance perspective on the back end, I can imagine that the scaling system they use to dial up and down things would be easier on an individual level.

Regardless of where the hunger mechanic is placed at (individual, guild or faction level), people are going to have to go out and get food.

Maybe we just lack the necessary available information to really know for sure how any of this is really going to be. Lastly we aren't even looking at any campaign rule sets yet and that could be the deciding factor at the end of the day. /shrugs

If you need 3 apples in 5 hours then way even bother with the mechanic in the game?  Why add more complexity when it is not needed.  There are enough great possibilities in the game play and hunger is not one of them.   A great crafting and pvp game is what people want.  Right?

People play games to have fun and not feel that the game they are playing is a burden.  Now what is a burden to me vs others may be polar opposites.  I do have a life outside gaming and I intend to keep it that way.  There  are only so many no lifers around.  I hope the game will be for both.

Seems like a chore and waste of inventory space, being required to carry and consume food.

I hope there is more to this system later that makes it less of a chore.  I know certain races and possibly classes will have modifiers to how quickly you become hungry in addition to what actions you take.

IMO, food consumption should be based off of stamina recovery and stamina should be consumed for jump, sprint, harvest, damage taken, and abilities used, race/class/rune modifiers applied.

In my opinion this chicken ticker mechanic that requires food is just a mirror of items breaking. spend hours making an item, use it, it breaks make another. Bodies need fuel and they break down. Get below 70% and you start to break down. makes sense to me. This is just another mechanic that keeps us on our toes, shows us that we are pithy little nothings compared to the GODS. Some one some where is going to be chopping down trees, they will get apples and now new and delicious sounding bloodworms. Elsewhere another joe blow is chopping up some innocent little animal that never did anything to them for its tendons. This all drives the economy of the game. its all about harvesting and turning it into something else for someone else. I'll choose to make food for someone so they can go out and wail on ppl to their hearts content any day over getting ganked or loosing every single fight im in. I know my strengths and harvesting and crafting is where they are, that and being a punching bag for middle aged men who live in their parents basements. i have foreseen the future and i plan on preparing for it. In reality how hard is it to eat an apple from your bag when you get too low or creating a campfire from some extra crap wood and frying up some extra meat from the lil kitty you just slaughtered. Compared to some of the hard truths from this game i think its on the easier side to accept. I already know im going to cry like a baby the first time i get jumped and fly back to my body just to find the only import things to me just got snatched from my cooling corpse by some tween who already had 20 copies of them  in his inventory. Personally the concept of this game sound so amazing that im willing to spend my time playing it even when i hate a core concept of it, im a solo player who likes to explore and hates grouping up and interacting with others. I know that that is a surefire way to die in the game and that it will end in tears but I am going to play it and i am going to die and i am going to cry like a #$%&* because it will still be fun for me, and i will be contributing to an awesome company started by awesome ppl who had an awesome dream. And besides who here doesn't love chicken legs, i mean come on ppl.