Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dolmar

Time Line

Most company have a time line and do not share it with the users or testers. That's fine but it does concern me that they always talk about their timeline as a "living document"  This is a huge sign of scope creep. Anyone else still think this game will release this year?

20 minutes ago, dolmar said:

Most company have a time line and do not share it with the users or testers. That's fine but it does concern me that they always talk about their timeline as a "living document"  This is a huge sign of scope creep. Anyone else still think this game will release this year?

This year,  depends on how unpolished they are willing to release a "beta".  It was always technically a beta they were planning to release, and that's a word that can be left a bit murky, especially since we KNOW that the usual use of that term (feature complete sample audience), is not being applied here.  Tomes for example are "post release" and also a new feature, and some of us customers are already testing.  So their use of Beta is not classic use of Beta.

In software development, a beta test is the second phase of software testing in which a sampling of the intended audience tries the product out.

Timeline and scope creep are one thing that can happen, but the reverse can also happen, where you pull things off the timeline (frostweaver), in order to hit target dates.  Development by agile standards, they are using Jira so they are using agile,  comes in two week sprints to get certain features into the system.  I think this is about where we get some transparency, while the backlog (agile term for timeline as opposed to a historical gantt chart view), are things not being worked on, and piled in the order they want the to go out in.  

As a developer, I would NEVER let any outside agency know my backlog in detail, and especially not its order, because that can and SHOULD change as more things are finished and more unknowns become known.

So in summary, as long and the process is removing or moving down "nice to haves" in the back log to post launch, rather than adding in feature creep, I'm not worried about.  But what I am actually worried about is the amount of smoke test and bug hunting time for finished systems they will have.  

This year, I just don't see it personally, but then again I am looking at 5.2.10, and who knows how much closer 5.3 is to beta ready.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

14 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

This year,  depends on how unpolished they are willing to release a "beta".  It was always technically a beta they were planning to release, and that's a word that can be left a bit murky, especially since we KNOW that the usual use of that term (feature complete sample audience), is not being applied here.  Tomes for example are "post release" and also a new feature, and some of us customers are already testing.  So their use of Beta is not classic use of Beta.

ACE have always talked about beta and soft launch as two separate things.

IhhQKY6.gif

Just now, Jah said:

ACE have always talked about beta and soft launch as two separate things.

Which one marks the last skill wipe? I thought that was advertized as part of beta.  

IF it is the case, it is going to be very weird to have a reset in late October, followed less than 10 weeks later for the start of Beta.

5 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Which one marks the last skill wipe? I thought that was advertized as part of beta.  

IF it is the case, it is going to be very weird to have a reset in late October, followed less than 10 weeks later for the start of Beta.

The one associated with the last skill wipe is soft launch. They said that open beta would come before soft launch.

I presume they want to avoid the perception that "unless you played in beta you will start behind all the beta people on skills."

Personally, I could see merging open beta and soft launch into one thing. But how do you suppose people would react to hearing that permanent training starts in beta?

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

1 minute ago, Jah said:

The one associated with the last skill wipe is soft launch. They said that open beta would come before soft launch.

I presume they want to avoid the perception that "unless you played in beta you will start behind all the beta people on skills."

Personally, I could see merging open beta and soft launch into one thing. But how do you suppose people would react to hearing that permanent training starts in beta?

True enough.  I am not sure how I got so confused about what is what.  

Imagine the poor people who are not as obsessive as I am about this project.

1 hour ago, dolmar said:

I'm on record as saying that if they soft launch in 2017 I'll eat my hat....and its a large felt hat...very unsatisfying. 

I dont think they will make a 2017 soft launch. They said the fixed 280K bugs going into 5.3...and they spoke about adding things in version 5.4...unless they turn 5.4 into the beta..that is two different versions to test before they beta and we are in October...I think March or April of 2018 is probably more realistic

2 hours ago, dolmar said:

No, I do not.

But, I do not follow your reasoning about this being scope creep. That is an inference that is not well supported, IMO. They laid out what is a very intuitive and widely-experienced part of any creative design process - your plan and your reality will not match, and therefore your plan will have to change.

The scope of the game has not changed much beyond race/class split. In fact, some things have been dropped like VR and voxels (for the most part).

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Call me old school...but miss the days of just Beta & Release days talk..

Also anyone else notice the information this past week been a little light. 2week oct next week. All hands on deck I'm feeling 

12 hours ago, Muta said:

Call me old school...but miss the days of just Beta & Release days talk..

Also anyone else notice the information this past week been a little light. 2week oct next week. All hands on deck I'm feeling 

Very light indeed . In one q/a they said they could model a class powers ect in 2 days . Then send it to engineering. im feeling the back end engineering is whats holding everything up. I just hate the feeling that im being drug along only being fed enough info to keep me on the hook.  I am a die hard crowfall fan boy but , we all expected the game to be much further along by now.

I personally will be extremely happy if it gets released before Christmas of next year but I'm okay if they see fit to wait until late into 2019 or even 2020. That's just me. I of course would love to be playing as soon as possible but I really want this game to be as successful as possible and for ArtCraft to raise the bar for the whole industry. I'm rooting for them pretty hard.

Eat or be eaten

I doubt there will be a release this year, q1 next, they will miss the christmas sadly.

They wont have any more big income like in the past so I expect them to have a hard date when it have to release, we wont know though.

I for one want this game soon since I dont se anything else as fun out there...

"Nemo Saltat Sobrius"

Veteran member of Aesir, visit us at aoc-gaming.se

2017 is a no-go. The game cant change from how it is now to complete in 2 months. Soft launch doesnt mean they can release a poorly made game so i think 6 month-ish is the minimum for release...

3 hours ago, dolmar said:

... I am a die hard crowfall fan boy but , we all expected the game to be much further along by now.

Just think how hardcore Camelot Unchained fans must feel.  My optimistic, yet I believe reasonable, prediction for CF--soft launch second quarter 2018--which will still beat out CU.  Whenever it releases, ACE should take care not to rush it (ESPECIALLY when it comes to performance, big bugs and known cheats/exploits), because a bad first impressions can be the kiss of death in this day and age.   

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

On 10/7/2017 at 3:02 PM, dolmar said:

we all expected the game to be much further along by now.

No we didn't.

Delays are expected when it comes to game development.

Crowfall is actually doing not bad in terms of schedule if I compare it to other crowdfunded games out there such as CU or Star Citizen.