Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anthrage

Terrain and Gameplay Possibilities - Q for Jon O'Neal

Recommended Posts

On 10/9/2017 at 3:12 PM, jonnycab said:

Great write up, and thank you for appreciating the update that is coming and all the hard work that is going into it. (We're working our tails off)

To answer your question. Yes . 100% I thought about having some of(not all ) the big none harvestable rocks or a giant bridge connecting one area to another. Think the giant bridges from Hammerstone (from our kickstarter video) . They would be destructible for just the reasons you described . Todd and I have talked about this a lot. (We always loved the idea of smashing a bridge to prevent crossing or to drop on someone). No promises before launch.

 

Fear not though...I WILL have my destructible troll bridge crossing!!!

 

-Jon

@jonnycab This old thread came to mind after the many Fort fights this last week and the siege at a Keep that capped it all off, and one thing I've noticed is how the different Fort Lodges in the 6 forts behave in regards to what can and cannot be cast inside them, and where it can be done. Also how the wooden towers at each of the four corners of the forts no longer work - there is an invisible barrier preventing you from entering them - yet what appears to be an identical tower at the beach-head works perfectly fine. I'd love to hear Jon talk about these curiosities some day, assuming he has some insight on how things work and why.

One thing I am fairly sure Jon can be held accountable for, is the strange performance hit we all experience at one of the forts, which someone has brilliantly dubbed 'Brookworst'. I think I have figured out the reason for the problem, and Jon, I just have to ask - why did you build Brookworst out of poorly made sockswood? ;)

Happy New Year Jon! Looking forward to what you have in store for us in 2018 in this particular area. Been spending a lot of time in my EK recently building a mock-up for a campaign map proposal, and the new enhanced parcels are just amazing! Thank-you for all your hard work!

Edited by Anthrage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎08‎-‎10‎-‎2017 at 12:56 AM, srathor said:

How about a boulder arch, breakable with picks. ;)

Sadly i think the voxels as terrain is gone. Sure some of the walls have them, and the boulders and trees as well, but the world is not at all destructible for the skin of the land itself. 

And rebuildable with stone.. :)

 


Huginn ok Muninn, fljúga hverjan dag, Jörmungrund yfir; óumk ek of Hugin,, at hann aftr né komi-t, þó sjámk meir of Munin

Gathering of Ranger videos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2018 at 7:27 AM, Anthrage said:

@jonnycab This old thread came to mind after the many Fort fights this last week and the siege at a Keep that capped it all off, and one thing I've noticed is how the different Fort Lodges in the 6 forts behave in regards to what can and cannot be cast inside them, and where it can be done. Also how the wooden towers at each of the four corners of the forts no longer work - there is an invisible barrier preventing you from entering them - yet what appears to be an identical tower at the beach-head works perfectly fine. I'd love to hear Jon talk about these curiosities some day, assuming he has some insight on how things work and why.

One thing I am fairly sure Jon can be held accountable for, is the strange performance hit we all experience at one of the forts, which someone has brilliantly dubbed 'Brookworst'. I think I have figured out the reason for the problem, and Jon, I just have to ask - why did you build Brookworst out of poorly made sockswood? ;)

Happy New Year Jon! Looking forward to what you have in store for us in 2018 in this particular area. Been spending a lot of time in my EK recently building a mock-up for a campaign map proposal, and the new enhanced parcels are just amazing! Thank-you for all your hard work!

Some good points and questions in here Anthrage, thanks for posting. One thing that stood out to me was this "I'd love to hear Jon talk about these curiosities some day, assuming he has some insight on how things work and why." I will for sure one day soon (when things get a bit more ironed out bug wise) have an updated video or lives Stream on destruction and our thoughts on it. Not surprisingly, destruction is a HUGE pain the ass to get to work properly. One of the hardest aspects of the game (tech wise) and why most other MMO's don't truly do full on destruction.  

I can tell you this. When it comes to fixing certain things like destruction for example. Things can be very different from test to live. (naturally). It is an on going process. Any feed back and I mean ANY feed back is always greatly appreciated. I'll take a look at this fort you're talking about. Should be made with all the same pieces we make all the other forts. So it could be something else or something hiding in there that is killing FPS. 

 I know I don't post very much but I do read a lot of what you guys and gals have to say. (I'm working on posting a bit more in 2018 lol) I do love connecting and hearing form all you bad-asses.  Keep it up!!

Hope all you Crowfaller's had a great holiday!!

-Jon


Jon O'Neal, Lead Environment Artist, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonnycab said:

Some good points and questions in here Anthrage, thanks for posting. One thing that stood out to me was this "I'd love to hear Jon talk about these curiosities some day, assuming he has some insight on how things work and why." I will for sure one day soon (when things get a bit more ironed out bug wise) have an updated video or lives Stream on destruction and our thoughts on it. Not surprisingly, destruction is a HUGE pain the ass to get to work properly. One of the hardest aspects of the game (tech wise) and why most other MMO's don't truly do full on destruction.  

I can tell you this. When it comes to fixing certain things like destruction for example. Things can be very different from test to live. (naturally). It is an on going process. Any feed back and I mean ANY feed back is always greatly appreciated. I'll take a look at this fort you're talking about. Should be made with all the same pieces we make all the other forts. So it could be something else or something hiding in there that is killing FPS. 

 I know I don't post very much but I do read a lot of what you guys and gals have to say. (I'm working on posting a bit more in 2018 lol) I do love connecting and hearing form all you bad-asses.  Keep it up!!

Hope all you Crowfaller's had a great holiday!!

-Jon

Thanks Jon! That's awesome. :)

We have actually tried to analyze why Brookhurst has a greater performance hit than others, and the only significant physical or structural difference between it and other forts I could identify were the type and placement of the flavor assets inside the lodge - crates, fires etc - and perhaps significantly a lack of the 2 large ramp structures that go from the back of the lodge to the wall, bridging the large pool of water. I wondering if maybe the fact that more water is exposed, reflecting the sky etc, may be meaningful, but then again, if you go to a fort with those things unbuilt - the hippos only present - performance isn't as poor.

Looking forward to 2018! Especially to hearing more from you and your insights on these things - I'm sure you know way more about what's going on in this world we run around in than we do. :D

Hope you had a great holiday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

P.S.

Thank you for the complements Anthrage, it means a lot to me seeing you guys like the things we're making. 

Also would LOVE to see your EK. Post some pics - This right here was one of the reasons we made the whole EK system like it is and why we spent SO much time and hard work on it... 

 

So you guys could go out and make your own awesome worlds!!


Jon O'Neal, Lead Environment Artist, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jonnycab said:

Some good points and questions in here Anthrage, thanks for posting. One thing that stood out to me was this "I'd love to hear Jon talk about these curiosities some day, assuming he has some insight on how things work and why." I will for sure one day soon (when things get a bit more ironed out bug wise) have an updated video or lives Stream on destruction and our thoughts on it. Not surprisingly, destruction is a HUGE pain the ass to get to work properly. One of the hardest aspects of the game (tech wise) and why most other MMO's don't truly do full on destruction.  

I can tell you this. When it comes to fixing certain things like destruction for example. Things can be very different from test to live. (naturally). It is an on going process. Any feed back and I mean ANY feed back is always greatly appreciated. I'll take a look at this fort you're talking about. Should be made with all the same pieces we make all the other forts. So it could be something else or something hiding in there that is killing FPS. 

 I know I don't post very much but I do read a lot of what you guys and gals have to say. (I'm working on posting a bit more in 2018 lol) I do love connecting and hearing form all you bad-asses.  Keep it up!!

Hope all you Crowfaller's had a great holiday!!

-Jon

While I absolutely love a number of the elements of the new Campaign Worlds...I greatly miss the diversity in resources of the old maps. With higher populations and 24/7 servers I'd really like to see a return to those old maps (in terms of resources). It used to take a LONG time figuring out where and how many resources were found on those maps... here's a reminder (just in case folks have forgotten)... 

TK92zXE.gif

Replace the old temples with Beach Heads...replace the old keeps with the new keeps...add 4-6 forts...and give us a counter system for the campaign win conditions (10pts for every 10min of control of a keep and 1pt for every 10min of control of a fort...winner is the faction with the most points at the end of the campaign)...and you've got one hell of a campaign world IMHO.

Edited by Gradishar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gradishar said:

While I absolutely love a number of the elements of the new Campaign Worlds...I greatly miss the diversity in resources of the old maps. With higher populations and 24/7 servers I'd really like to see a return to those old maps (in terms of resources). It used to take a LONG time figuring out where and how many resources were found on those maps... here's a reminder (just in case folks have forgotten)... 

TK92zXE.gif

Replace the old temples with Beach Heads...add 4-6 forts...and give us a counter system for the campaign win conditions (10pts for every 10min of control of a keep and 1pt for every 10min of control of a fort...winner is the faction with the most points at the end of the campaign)...and you've have one hell of a campaign world IMHO.

I agree. I have a mock-up of a new campaign map idea in my EK now - that includes a new victory condition mechanic - I plan to be granting tours and simulated weekly campaign runs starting this week. Maybe if I ask nicely @jonnycab will come check it out. :P

BTW, that map of yours, which I've seen literally hundreds of times, still blows me away every time I see it. I'm so glad you're on our side!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jonnycab said:

 

P.S.

Thank you for the complements Anthrage, it means a lot to me seeing you guys like the things we're making. 

Also would LOVE to see your EK. Post some pics - This right here was one of the reasons we made the whole EK system like it is and why we spent SO much time and hard work on it... 

 

So you guys could go out and make your own awesome worlds!!

 

Mmm yass, free-building :wub: 

Did you read my post (and addendum) in the Bugs and Feedback thread? There's a few wonky things going on in the EK right now (one that I didn't mention there was the Castle Walls not lining up properly, or not being able to be placed back in the same spot they were picked up from), though we have still managed to have some fun there recently!

(Also sorry for the bombardment we've unleashed on you - I hope you took Overwhelming Odds :lol: )

Edited by Xarrayne

:^)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Xarrayne said:

 

Mmm yass, free-building :wub: 

Did you read my post (and addendum) in the Bugs and Feedback thread? There's a few wonky things going on in the EK right now (one that I didn't mention there was the Castle Walls not lining up properly, or not being able to be placed back in the same spot they were picked up from), though we have still managed to have some fun there recently!

(Also sorry for the bombardment we've unleashed on you - I hope you took Overwhelming Odds :lol: )

I have seen this. We know there is a  bunch of bugs in the placement as well as destruction itself. Posts like the one you made are very helpful with getting these things all fixed up. Together , we'll all get there!


Jon O'Neal, Lead Environment Artist, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...