ACE_Jackal

Pre-Alpha 5 Live! for October - Official Discussion Thread

How can Blair and Halash still not be aware that Chain Pull is broken and desperately in need of a fix?  It's class-breaking.  And it's been this way for months.  And we've told them about it repeatedly, including on a previous livestream where they looked confused about it.  I've submitted over a dozen videos showing the problem over the past few months.  And Blair supposedly plays knight.

What kickstarter backer level lets me fly to Austin and have a come to Jesus meeting with the designers?

Edited by durenthal

Thanks for the reading of draft of 5.3 patch notes

You can find the video on demand here for 14 days

https://go.twitch.tv/videos/181197169

7 minutes ago, durenthal said:

OMFG.  How can Blair and Halash still not be aware that Chain Pull is broken and desperately in need of a fix?  It's class-breaking.  And it's been this way for months.  And we've told them about it repeatedly, including on a previous livestream where they looked confused about it.  I've submitted over a dozen videos showing the problem over the past few months.

What kickstarter backer level lets me fly to Austin and have a come to Jesus meeting with the designers?

Well they also took a few minutes to remember druids don't have mana or that all essence generating powers have been broken for months in 5.2 too ;p

(Likely a result of 5.2 basically only getting 'scraps' for 3 months versus the real work into 5.3)

@thomasblair If it got access, I'd happily screenshot all the skill trees and other things and make them publicly view able...just saying! :P (i've already set up the presentation structure hah!)

Edited by Tinnis

My guess is that chain/net pull is an engineering issue which is why Blair/Mark don't know as much about it. 

Regardless, placing blame doesn't get it fixed.

It needs to be fixed and soon as it has been an issue for quite some time. 

Today's live stream confirmed something that I've been suspecting for a while:  The pace and complexity of the design has become unwieldy.  No one person (or two people) can keep it in their heads - even if they are the architects.  This is not a competency problem, it's a scale/organizational issue.  Maybe this is just an artifact of the presentation, but it feels like the responsibility for building all the classes/races/skills/disciplines/etc needs to be split up and coordinated in a more scalable fashion.

19 minutes ago, Nazdar said:

Today's live stream confirmed something that I've been suspecting for a while:  The pace and complexity of the design has become unwieldy.  No one person (or two people) can keep it in their heads - even if they are the architects.  This is not a competency problem, it's a scale/organizational issue.  Maybe this is just an artifact of the presentation, but it feels like the responsibility for building all the classes/races/skills/disciplines/etc needs to be split up and coordinated in a more scalable fashion.

This is true, but probably unavoidable. I came to this conclusion when a dev posted on these forums for information on a particular bug that I'd reported the details of including reproducing it in a post 6 months prior...that the very same dev had done a Like on. Dev teams are like individual people, there's only so much you can retain/do/keep track of at any one time. This is part of why non-indie AAA teams are more effective/efficient, it's not just about more bodies, it's more oversight - producers etc who can help organize everything.

I won't say that ACE couldn't improve in this area, but they are doing a decent job given the immense task they have undertaken - splitting Race and Class is something I am grateful they did but there is a cost to it - and if anything, they could perhaps use the community more effectively as regards reporting and keeping them informed as to the details of what is and isn't working and how things actually are as opposed to what their last mental snapshot of things is. Working with multiple builds of CF doesn't help either I'm sure.

from community discord:

Plate = Knight and Templar

Mail = Champion, Myrmidon, Cleric and Druid

Leather = Confessor, Frostweaver, Ranger, Assassin, Duelist

[can use a minor discipline stone to get a non class armor]

Edited by Tinnis

So, do you get the class armor match bonus to mitigation stats only if you are wearing the correct armor matchup? Or do you always get it?

ie. Does knight always get +25% physical mitigation bonus when wearing plate, only, or do they get it even when wearing leather because they slotted a minor discipline.

50 minutes ago, Nazdar said:

aToday's live stream confirmed something that I've been suspecting for a while:  The pace and complexity of the design has become unwieldy.  No one person (or two people) can keep it in their heads - even if they are the architects.  This is not a competency problem, it's a scale/organizational issue.  Maybe this is just an artifact of the presentation, but it feels like the responsibility for building all the classes/races/skills/disciplines/etc needs to be split up and coordinated in a more scalable fashion.

Thank you for saying that politely - I was sad to watch this video (Came late and started at "Forest Step) - I think you guys need to consult your Project management team a bit further......Or maybe even hire one :)

Edited by Mayhem_
Grammer

@mhalashace @thomasblair now that 'resource restoring effects' are working:

would you revise giving the Druid's Master of Scimitar's STORMCALLER the capacity to spawn Yellow Coalesce Nature orbs instead of the basic green ones?

This bump in healing and resource utility would be a great help in countering the inherit limitations the scimitar druid suffers by losing access to the life tray and any discipline power that is tagged as healing.

And any word on your plans to make it so they also can get a block power as you previously discussed or assumed was the case on stream?

Edited by Tinnis

p.s. i dont really see what you are doing with forest step....making it target only, removing small interesting speed buff all while making no changes to the disengage power's slow animation and travel speed....

[which is the same as just running backwards FYI but with a 1 second prep time, on a massive cooldown and costs about 1/3 of your melee energy and gates use of actually useful power JAB]

and is 15m really the base advanced bow range before experimentation...?

Edited by Tinnis

2 hours ago, durenthal said:

How can Blair and Halash still not be aware that Chain Pull is broken and desperately in need of a fix?  It's class-breaking.  And it's been this way for months.  And we've told them about it repeatedly, including on a previous livestream where they looked confused about it.  I've submitted over a dozen videos showing the problem over the past few months.  And Blair supposedly plays knight.

This^ The Knight is the slowest class, it also doesn't have a RMB mobility skill. It also is missing a third resource pool but that is a discussion for another day (does Blair hate himself considering he plays the Knight?). The knight has 2 things to help lock people down since their mobility sucks, their charge and their chain pull. Chain pull is the most frustrating skill to use because it has one of the highest skill ceilings in the game (you actually have to aim to hit with it, most skills don't work this way) and the results are completely fracked. Sometimes they don't move at all, sometimes they rubber band hard and when it works successfully they might now be 5 feet away opposed to the 10 feet away they were when you started this move.

It has been like this for at least 1 year based on my testing. Do we need to just make thread after thread about this until it is solved?

1 minute ago, ClockworkOrange said:

This^ The Knight is the slowest class, it also doesn't have a RMB mobility skill. It also is missing a third resource pool but that is a discussion for another day (does Blair hate himself considering he plays the Knight?). The knight has 2 things to help lock people down since their mobility sucks, their charge and their chain pull. Chain pull is the most frustrating skill to use because it has one of the highest skill ceilings in the game (you actually have to aim to hit with it, most skills don't work this way) and the results are completely fracked. Sometimes they don't move at all, sometimes they rubber band hard and when it works successfully they might now be 5 feet away opposed to the 10 feet away they were when you started this move.

It has been like this for at least 1 year based on my testing. Do we need to just make thread after thread about this until it is solved?

don't forget that anti dodge pip power [powered by a hidden pip from LMB combo or RMB large hit]....nevermind! :P catch-22 situation there...can't catch up to prevent them from not letting you catch up! :P

Edited by Tinnis

6 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

and is 15m really the base advanced bow range before experimentation...?

I am starting to think they have no desire to create a game with ranged combat. Lets get 100 v 100s so we can stand on top of each other.