Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

Crowfall Q&A Live for October - Official Discussion Thread

Just went back and watched it (thanks for the link, Tinnis! https://go.twitch.tv/videos/182944976)

I'm loving how crafting feels now.  Muuuch better.

I can't wait for crafting 2.0!  Please give us a 1-click-crafting option!  The most painful part of this demo was watching Blair click 20+ times just to roast some blood worms.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

The issue of doobers from motherloads came up during the stream and @thomasblair noted his concern about increasing the yield from motherloads in light of the fact that they are coded to allow for up to 3x the yield of normal nodes. Of course, we immediately said "3x yield? when have we ever seen 3x yield?!!?" To which TB said... "well...its 1x to 3x yield for motherloads."

1. First, I would go back and double check your code because in all the motherloads I've dropped, I've never seen any yields that made me think we were getting more than normal nodes. Is this 1x-3x for both the treasure table rolls as well as the loot table? Is this happening at 75%, 50%, 25% and 0%? Again, given the time we've spent harvesting minerals for vessels and gems for ring experimentation, the motherloads have always been a significant disappointment in terms of "normal" yield.
  2. Second, if it is "working as intended" and the 2x and 3x yields are just so rare we never see them, I'd suggest changing the range from 1x-3x to 2x-4x. If we know the yield will be at least twice a normal node...and up to 4x a normal node...the extra time and wear and tear on our picks could be worth it. Motherloads are currently VERY difficult to drop...and there should be a significant reward for doing so.  

3 hours ago, durenthal said:

It appears that these new harvesting disciplines will replace Laborer.  If that is the case, it feels like a step backward:  Instead of having one discipline that gives 3 plentiful pips to all harvesting activities, depending on which passive is equipped, we'll have individual major disciplines that give +1 plentiful pips to a specific harvesting type. That means more forced specialization, and will increase the need for trained harvesters.  It also means that an individual harvester is going to absolutely suck at harvesting most stuff for the first couple of years, and will suck only a little less at his/her chosen specialty for the first year or more.

If Laborer is sticking around, then ignore these concerns - it won't be an issue.

Laborer was WAY OP giving 3 pips in all plentiful harvests, something that takes IRC more than 10 months of training to get to in even one material type.

With just a +1 bonus, and making you focus on harvesting Discs to be truly effective claws back the double training issue in the correct way.  You have to make temporary choices about your focus, but can keep specialized vessels around so you can switch from combat to harvester, etc, and even be slightly effective in all materials, BUT have to decide before hitting the field what one you're going to focus on.

That and the faster harvesting speed will see gangs of harvesters running around plowing over everything, but each individual playing guard and having to rely on minor discs for combat at different locations will make things much more dynamic and interesting.

Looks like a very good change.

Can you give us a minor discipline version? I really dont feel like "wasting" one of my major just to be a gatherer.

I used to feel i could be a gatherer but also be okay (not good but just okay-ish) at fighting but now i feel that is not the case. I have to train in gathering, i have to use gathering gear and now i have to give up on the coolest part of the game that is building an interesting character using majors discs.

I can perhaps use a minor and a passive slot to be a gatherer but a major and a passive slot? Never gonna happen. I'd rather give up on gathering and be a full fighter.

Does it really need to be a major disc?

tbh though:

if you are a single tray class - with decent/essential base class powers like say the templar....which is more than i can say for some of the other base one tray classes - then filling out your 'combat slots' is trivial just from race/class and a handful of stones - let alone the full array of two majors, one weapon and three minors....

[hell you could do it with just race/class on some]

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

also:

will we be able to create a 'key-ring' of vessel bodies stored at either our bank or temple?

e.g. this is my combat body with combat disciplines, while this is a harvest body with harvest disciplines, this is my crafting body with crafting disciplines etc.

and can switch at temple and store the other when not using etc

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

17 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

Can you give us a minor discipline version? I really dont feel like "wasting" one of my major just to be a gatherer.

I used to feel i could be a gatherer but also be okay (not good but just okay-ish) at fighting but now i feel that is not the case. I have to train in gathering, i have to use gathering gear and now i have to give up on the coolest part of the game that is building an interesting character using majors discs.

I can perhaps use a minor and a passive slot to be a gatherer but a major and a passive slot? Never gonna happen. I'd rather give up on gathering and be a full fighter.

Does it really need to be a major disc?

This

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

54 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

tbh though:

if you are a single tray class - with decent/essential base class powers like say the templar....which is more than i can say for some of the other base one tray classes - then filling out your 'combat slots' is trivial just from race/class and a handful of stones - let alone the full array of two majors, one weapon and three minors....

[hell you could do it with just race/class on some]

For single tray classes that might be the case. My ranger though has just the right amount of power slots to equip 2 majors.

Perhaps those classes ought to have one or two (or three) extra slots because space is a serious problem for them. Considering my ranger has double the powers it woulnt be an issue IMO. Once they acquire an extra tray they lose this perk, could work since they can be restricted by the resource to avoid mindless spamming...

Ex.: Even if knight had 20 power slots  the stamina resource would force the player to play smart instead of just using all powers as fast as he can. Berserk is the same while i am not so sure about the templar...

I also think minors are just too meh. Compared with the major and weapon discs they are insignificant. Making those gathering Disc minors would be perfect to make them matter a little.

Edited by BarriaKarl

Cool ideas, neat mechanics--congratulations on being innovative here.  Personally, I prefer brain dead gathering--that sort of zen-like progression that can allow me to be in game, but not really focused on the game.  There is something that is satisfying about mindless grinding down times (just so long as it isn't constantly forced or tedious).  Since I don't like crating--combat and exploration for me, I suppose?  Again, good ideas and I can see the appeal for a lot of folks. 

EDIT:

Also, I noticed inventory was referenced in relation to disciplines.  Please, ACE,  do not make inventory management into some sort of tedious chore.  I don't know anyone who enjoys it (undoubtedly they exist but I am supremely confident that they are in the extreme minority).  People "invest" into these systems largely to avoid tedious fiddle (literally, they are fleeing annoyance.)  Maybe, a minigame inventory system could be developed for harvesters (who may or may not want to actively engaged with inventory), but won't you please consider the rest of us...  :unsure:

Edited by Regulus

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

2 hours ago, Cordite said:

Will harvesting bags & tool bags, or harvesting clothing be a thing?

The harvesting skill trees already contain additional inventory slots, they just aren't implemented yet.  It may not be a bag, per se, but you can at least hold more stuff.  This is quite an old mockup by now, but it should give you an idea of what it might look like when it makes it to the live game:
https://crowfall.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Crowfall_PreAlphaCraftingInterface.jpg

Harvesting gear (both weapons and armor) was included in the crafting system when it was first introduced.  You just have to know the right recipes!

I am super happy about this fyi...  whack-a-mole harvesting!   basically with buffs and skills.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

Always nice to see my ideas from years ago make it into the game.  ACE are an experienced bunch and they always seem to figure things out.  I just hope that this helps people understand the nature of game development and the fact that when they tell you they are doing multiple phases or passes on things, they really mean that, and the sky really isn't falling just because the first version of something isn't deep or "fun".

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir