Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anthrage

Tracking and the Compass

We have not heard much about how ACE plans to handle track in CF, and we do not yet have it in any form - which seems a bit odd to me given that the Compass essentially IS track, but for your group-mates.

This gives us two things to consider - possible forms track might take, and potential additional functionality that could be given to the Compass. For example, right now, the compass shows you the cardinal direction of your group-mates, and indicates their distance from you by having their diamond symbol be larger or smaller, for when they are closer or further away. This is a very simple and elegant way of delivering this information, but it is possible to provide even more. One idea would be for the diamonds to be of different colors, matching colors assigned to each group member, so at a glance you could see not only where someone is but who they are. Taking this idea further, the colored diamond could be replaced with the class symbol - they are extremely well-designed, providing a clear and distinct indication of what they representing. The compass would then tell you who, what and where they were...pretty good info for a small interface element.

This is how I imagine track could work. While you could have something like an arrow on the ground or over your head, something like what was done in (yes, repeat after me) Shadowbane, or even the tracking system from Mount and Blade (which was pretty damn cool)  it would make sense to use the existing interface element in the compass, but just add functionality. We really don't know yet what they plan to do, but it seems like they have a lot of options for quality systems if they pursue them.

Hopefully we will get some information soon on when tracking will be added and what form it will take, till then we can only guess as to what is to come. :)

A telegraph arrow is a good approach but I rather have little foot prints showing up and possibly is something that you can unlock through a skill tree training. Possibly exploration. Maybe even a minor disciple that can give a percentage based passive for this. I don't know. Lots of ways to go with this but it's a cool idea.

OS_Sig3.png

maybe even numbers(1-5) for which party member is where, would be enough, but in general it would be good to keep track of ur party and raid members (in the future) in a big split combat scene. like what u have in mobas ( minimap) which let's u follow the bigger picture easier with just a glance, even when u have a voice comm. and broader party numbers for raid members or so.

30705266ee.png

To go along with Tracking, I would like a magical Scry ability that allows me to view the surroundings of the target.  That way I can check who is on track and then find the resource pinatas easier as they are gathering.  Seems like the perfect ability for a Discipline or the Assassin.

I like the idea of using the compass as the tracking method. 

The problem with Shadowbane style tracking is it was essentially "radar". Not only could you track players but you could see everyone who was within track range. This is too powerful IMO. 

I don't think you should necessarily know who you're tracking. Maybe color code the dots on the compass but otherwise I think you should be following a dot only to find out who it is once you find them. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

8 hours ago, entityofsin said:

A telegraph arrow is a good approach but I rather have little foot prints showing up and possibly is something that you can unlock through a skill tree training. Possibly exploration. Maybe even a minor disciple that can give a percentage based passive for this. I don't know. Lots of ways to go with this but it's a cool idea.

As for how one gains access to Tracking, you've hit the nail on the head. It's been slated for addition to the Exploration skill tree since day one, and I see no reason for that to change with the skill tree rework. But we shall see. o_o

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

@Zolaz has a great idea adding Scry, a shorter duration power for Confessors, Frostweavers and Druids only, off a Discipline Rune. There could be a rune-crafter recipe for a crystal ball that could allow any possessor to scry, with a source-class thrall enchanted into it.

Tracking skill from the general exploration skill tree should be improvable from the Ranger class skill tree and Bounty Hunter Discipline Rune (because that's what they do) and the Minotaur race skill tree (because of the lore).

Both tracking and scrying should drop the stealth rating of any avatar in sight-range enough to normally make them visible.

Scry could make all enemies appear red on the compass and map. Track should should show the paths of anyone who has passed that way recently, blue for your own group, green for allies, purple for enemies, and red for any avatar the tracker has personally hit for damage or debuffed within the track duration. Bounty Hunter Discipline could even have a slow-debuff that can be cast on either a specific target or his tracks. So, I like the footprints tracking concept best.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

2 hours ago, blazzen said:

I like the idea of using the compass as the tracking method. 

The problem with Shadowbane style tracking is it was essentially "radar". Not only could you track players but you could see everyone who was within track range. This is too powerful IMO. 

I don't think you should necessarily know who you're tracking. Maybe color code the dots on the compass but otherwise I think you should be following a dot only to find out who it is once you find them.

Radar style tracking is what the harvesters will need, in order to escape.  Anyone comes on track, and you better be cautious; I don't believe this aspect of SB needs to be changed a bit.

lUvvzPy.png

23 minutes ago, Teufel said:

Radar style tracking is what the harvesters will need, in order to escape.  Anyone comes on track, and you better be cautious; I don't believe this aspect of SB needs to be changed a bit.

Might be good for harvesters but it really limits the ability to surprise attack forts when the enemy knows your exact numbers/names. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

What needs to happen is they remove the names list from standard tracking systems in other MMOs.  The names list would be extremely clunky in a mouse locked actiony style game.  Red blips on the compass would be plenty IF they have track, and how invested they are in to tracking.

I also believe that track should be an ability that goes on the bar, you hit it and it pings the baddies locations.  Those locations would then be static on your compass and you are not given updated locations until you hit the button again and ping them.  Putting this on a longish CD and giving it a cast time where you are stationary, and/or even making it so you have to be out of combat and can only be slotted in the survival tray. This would require investment in to tracking and have risk associated with using it.

Edited by Destrin

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

23 hours ago, entityofsin said:

I like this!  Also, no name list. And what about dropping the prints/trail if they cross water or fly, or burrow? I'd hate to see an Arrow pointing right at a stealthed player.

Edit: Oh and please let tracking be limited range. I don't want to see an arrow leading me clear across a zone into a new one.  (Maybe 2 or 3 parcels at max?)

Edit: I would like it to be an assist not a handout. Make us think like a hunter...i.e. "where would I go if I was in his shoes".

Edited by Cordite

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎24 at 1:13 PM, blazzen said:

Might be good for harvesters but it really limits the ability to surprise attack forts when the enemy knows your exact numbers/names. 

I think if you see that many "red dots" near your fort, its safe to assume your about to be hit hard and already to late to do anything about it.

That was half the fun in Shadowbane.....gathering intel and counter intel. At least for those who were dedicated scouts/hit squads.