Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
elvo

World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth

Battle for Azeroth seems to have the theme that MoP should have had with the whole "Alliance vs. Horde" thing. Hopefully they actually go back to WARcraft and the factions feeling like factions rather than everyone banding together to fight some big mean guy. 

Crowfall will probably be in a live state (hopefully) by the time BfA comes out so I probably won't play it but it does look kind of interesting.

As for Classic servers I don't think they'll have any staying power for the masses. As someone who played back then I can assure you that many people either didn't play back then or have MASSIVE rose tinted glasses looking back at that time. 

Theres actually already a large amount of private 'illegal' vanilla WoW servers out there. The only difference is that it will be a blizzard supported, paid version. I for one will play it again.

I stopped at burning crusade, thats when they decided to go down the simplistic dumbed down route to appeal to more and more people. that ruined it for me. Eventually the nostalgia ride will be over, obviously there will be only so much content, but it will attract alot of people. 

CfWBSig.png

This looks pretty unremarkable to me.  The island system is perhaps the only new thing.  Don't get me wrong, I will probably play it at some point for the story line (which was good Draenor--despite what you may think about the rest of the game, and great in Legion).    Also, classic servers appeal to me for the nostalgia and a return to a less bloated game (as long as the graphics don't cause my eyes to explode--hopefully we can keep the character models, at least).  

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

There's a massive demand for vanilla servers, nostalrius was able to have 7-15k concurrent depending on hours and that number would only balloon on official servers when they offer multiple servers with different locations so that people can get good latency.  Nostalrius was located in france.

The fact that they are finally announcing it means that the regular game is probably dipping too quickly after each expansion now though.  That being said legion broke 10million again for a bit but who knows how many of those were actual paying subs and not just gold for time accounts.  

The expansion sounded good at first but it probably won't be that great for pvp, they are taking away pve or pvp server distinction and making it a self flag in the open world, but they said because it is something players themselves choose to flag, they can make world pvp more crazy because everyone participating will have done so voluntarily.  

Also vanilla was great for the time, it actually provided some challenge compared to the current game, but it also came with a lot of what convenience-oriented gamers would call "tediousness".  A lot of the more casual players these days will go back to or try vanilla and won't like it.  The old schoolers begging for more challenge and more meaning to accomplishing and beating things in game will love it way more than the current WoW though.  I for one can't wait to see current mythic raiders go into gnomeregan at level 28 and get destroyed by a 4 pull.  Or go into scholomance and wipe over and over pulling multiple packs.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

i hope they dont mess too much with the vanilla servers in the sense of trying to "fix" some of the old mechanics, if it stays true i can see a big appeal to play both, retail and vanilla

6XZoThV.jpg

22 minutes ago, elvo said:

i hope they dont mess too much with the vanilla servers in the sense of trying to "fix" some of the old mechanics, if it stays true i can see a big appeal to play both, retail and vanilla

They will,  you'll see mods that didn't exist back in vanilla, you'll see "quality of life" changes that blizzard deemed necessary.  It won't be true vanilla feel.

5 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

They will,  you'll see mods that didn't exist back in vanilla, you'll see "quality of life" changes that blizzard deemed necessary.  It won't be true vanilla feel.

FeelsCaptainPlaceholderMan

6XZoThV.jpg

On 11/4/2017 at 1:58 PM, VIKINGNAIL said:

Also vanilla was great for the time, it actually provided some challenge compared to the current game, but it also came with a lot of what convenience-oriented gamers would call "tediousness".  A lot of the more casual players these days will go back to or try vanilla and won't like it.  The old schoolers begging for more challenge and more meaning to accomplishing and beating things in game will love it way more than the current WoW though.  I for one can't wait to see current mythic raiders go into gnomeregan at level 28 and get destroyed by a 4 pull.  Or go into scholomance and wipe over and over pulling multiple packs.

I tried coming back for the first time with Cataclysm, I don't think I was able to stomach hitting level 60 (my account's cap) on my tauren paladin because of how boring it all was, and I never owned a single xpac.  I friggen solo'd dungeons and it didn't even take THAT long.  Compared to the challenge of vanilla, it was mind numbing and boring, but vanilla had a tremendous amount of frustration related to its so-called challenge.  Half the classes were effectively undesirable in PvE because of the nature of their CC (Warlock fear 9 times out of 10 pulled more packs, even Polymorph could, rogue Sap was unreliable), classes were restricted to one roll and one roll ever (I was flat out never allowed to DPS as a warrior and tanking was a PITA arms/fury build), and the complete lack of real player influence over how a fight went--and this is more me complaining about tab target in general--due to the nature of the combat system and some classes simply lacking good tools for CC and self sustain made it feel less like a challenge and more like a chore because one bad CC, one stupid respawn, one dumb patrol and it was wipe, be it the world or be it dungeon.

I don't doubt post-vanilla mythic raiders would get poorly made socks on, but I'm willing to bet a lot of the nostalgia players are going to remember all the poorly made socks they take for granted from the "dumbing down" actually making the game significantly less punishing from entirely arbitrary reasons or because the game's own mechanics punish you for using them (Warlock fear getting a second mention here, custard WHY ARE YOU RUNNING INTO THE OTHER PACK WHY custard custard FUUUUUCJKLA;LJGK;KLJAGSZKJL;A)

I'll certainly be playing again. I probably wont no life it like I did the first time around. Vanilla is one of those games where you could have a lot of fun without end game. I would almost say end game is less fun (after awhile) than the actual leveling up experience if you have some friends to level with. I hope they don't cater to the people already asking for all kinds of changes. That defeats the purpose of vanilla.

1 hour ago, Deioth said:

I tried coming back for the first time with Cataclysm, I don't think I was able to stomach hitting level 60 (my account's cap) on my tauren paladin because of how boring it all was, and I never owned a single xpac.  I friggen solo'd dungeons and it didn't even take THAT long.  Compared to the challenge of vanilla, it was mind numbing and boring, but vanilla had a tremendous amount of frustration related to its so-called challenge.  Half the classes were effectively undesirable in PvE because of the nature of their CC (Warlock fear 9 times out of 10 pulled more packs, even Polymorph could, rogue Sap was unreliable), classes were restricted to one roll and one roll ever (I was flat out never allowed to DPS as a warrior and tanking was a PITA arms/fury build), and the complete lack of real player influence over how a fight went--and this is more me complaining about tab target in general--due to the nature of the combat system and some classes simply lacking good tools for CC and self sustain made it feel less like a challenge and more like a chore because one bad CC, one stupid respawn, one dumb patrol and it was wipe, be it the world or be it dungeon.

I don't doubt post-vanilla mythic raiders would get poorly made socks on, but I'm willing to bet a lot of the nostalgia players are going to remember all the poorly made socks they take for granted from the "dumbing down" actually making the game significantly less punishing from entirely arbitrary reasons or because the game's own mechanics punish you for using them (Warlock fear getting a second mention here, custard WHY ARE YOU RUNNING INTO THE OTHER PACK WHY custard custard FUUUUUCJKLA;LJGK;KLJAGSZKJL;A)

I've played on private legacy servers and while it is definitely jarring at first after going from the current game as far as convenience goes, I think it's like riding a bike and you start to quickly appreciate the fact that you don't get a level every 10 minutes and you aren't just destroying huge pulls with no risk of death at all times while leveling and running dungeons.

1 hour ago, Deioth said:

Half the classes were effectively undesirable in PvE because of the nature of their CC (Warlock fear 9 times out of 10 pulled more packs, even Polymorph could, rogue Sap was unreliable), classes were restricted to one roll and one roll ever (I was flat out never allowed to DPS as a warrior and tanking was a PITA arms/fury build), and the complete lack of real player influence over how a fight went--and this is more me complaining about tab target in general--due to the nature of the combat system and some classes simply lacking good tools for CC and self sustain made it feel less like a challenge and more like a chore because one bad CC, one stupid respawn, one dumb patrol and it was wipe, be it the world or be it dungeon.

while never having played the real vanilla (only nostalrius/elysium) what you just described is something that really lures me towards the classic server

quote from the wow subreddit: 

"Well people being so preoccupied with how balanced the game has to be they cant have fun stuff anymore. I thought one shot macro's and cool stuff like that in PvP was what made this game amazing. Now queing into PvP feels like playing a completely different game. They might as well make it 2 different clients.

There are two ways to achieve balance. There's the rock-paper-scissors method, where none of the pairs is balanced but instead every choice has a counter. And then there's the "lets make everything a differently painted rock" balancing that Blizzard is using in WoW."

-anon

6XZoThV.jpg

On 11/7/2017 at 3:49 PM, elvo said:

while never having played the real vanilla (only nostalrius/elysium) what you just described is something that really lures me towards the classic server

quote from the wow subreddit: 

"Well people being so preoccupied with how balanced the game has to be they cant have fun stuff anymore. I thought one shot macro's and cool stuff like that in PvP was what made this game amazing. Now queing into PvP feels like playing a completely different game. They might as well make it 2 different clients.

There are two ways to achieve balance. There's the rock-paper-scissors method, where none of the pairs is balanced but instead every choice has a counter. And then there's the "lets make everything a differently painted rock" balancing that Blizzard is using in WoW."

-anon

lol I remember being a pretty damn good warrior in PVP.  There was Rock-Paper-Scissors back then, and also Mushroom, which everyone could beat.  Warriors were rock and I was a damn good rock.  Mace spec with Malowne's Slam was some epic arms/fury stun locking hogwash, especially if I'd crit on the charge or intercept auto attack so I could follow up immediately with a mortal strike or whatever it was called and that would crit, stun, another auto, stun, and then execute for kill.  Malowne's stun proc also buffed my strength so I'd hit like a truck after.  Tauren racial stun for the extra interrupt if I needed it, hah, I was such a prick, shame my server had like 5 healers on Horde at level 60, like, at all.  3 to 1 A to H ratio on vanilla Earthen Ring.  When the Honor System came out I knew what it felt like to be an NPC endlessly farmed (you HAD to mute attack messages), and holy CRAP were Alliance TERRIBLE.  One fight in particular I recall, friggen raid geared dwarf paladin got stomped by blue geared undead rogue, was pretty sad.

While you may find its PVP better in ways compared to modern WoW (can only speak from Warrior perspective), trust me, while challenge took a nose dive the rose-tint everyone has for its PVE is covering a system that felt deeply flawed.  Having to slowly crawl one mob at a time was a slog, ANY extra mobs, dead 90% of the time.

On 11/7/2017 at 3:12 PM, VIKINGNAIL said:

I've played on private legacy servers and while it is definitely jarring at first after going from the current game as far as convenience goes, I think it's like riding a bike and you start to quickly appreciate the fact that you don't get a level every 10 minutes and you aren't just destroying huge pulls with no risk of death at all times while leveling and running dungeons.

I dunno, there's the no risk facerolling the keyboard today but back then you could do everything right and still crash and burn because of a hogwash respawn, aggro range, or because the game's RNG decided "No, not today" as the enemy evades every crucial attack.  And besides, think about it, the end game is where people play the most, and WoW in any iteration has never had a very engaging leveling process.

1 hour ago, Deioth said:

I dunno, there's the no risk facerolling the keyboard today but back then you could do everything right and still crash and burn because of a hogwash respawn, aggro range, or because the game's RNG decided "No, not today" as the enemy evades every crucial attack.  And besides, think about it, the end game is where people play the most, and WoW in any iteration has never had a very engaging leveling process.

This isn't really true, when WoW was growing most people weren't experiencing endgame.  It's only after they made endgame mindlessly easy to get to that they started losing players.  This isn't the sole reason they lost players, but it was part of the bigger problem of them just making the game too easy and not providing enough challenge to keep people engaged and occupied. 

I never got punished for doing everything right in WoW the way you describe, the only way you could get punished even when you did everything right is in large group activities. 

I really liked the classic WoW!

BUT its the past! It will not be again like it was nearly 15 years ago. I like to remember on it like i think to other nice & funny parts of my real life. I dont think, that it is successful like it was at the good old time. The community was different to this now. Everything is faster in our modern time and a lot of younger player are bored really fast... ^_^

I played this since release now and are totally bored. Its just grinding faction and getting better items over and over again and basicly after some days you have seen everything. And with the next big raid or addon your items become totally worthless, so stupid. i`m sorry. and the world is so empty, everything is focused on the new continent and everything else is just empty and dead, so sad, i liked warcraft 3 a lot and it was a great game with a great story but what they made of it nowadays somehow horrible. i think since mist of pandaria they where runnig out of super villians you have to kill. just forget about that.

maybe some else like it, i don`t.