Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Str33tCha0s

Building EK

With so many items the interface isn't exacly user friendly when building massive towns especially when purchased from the store. You should be able to edit building placements from also the EK edit button from the start menu. Just an idea.

Welcome to the forums. :)

I am not sure if i understand your suggestion correctly. Are you suggesting we should be able to place building parts "on the map" instead of "in the world"? Or that we should be able to "edit" placements (like moving objects around instead of having to pick them up and place them again)? Or that we should be able to edit the kingdom through the start menu (which is in the lobby ... so, without having to enter the EK)?

All of this could be interesting of course. 

Here are some reasons, why some of those current circumstances are not very likely to change very soon.

• Huge "immediately existing" strongholds will be the exeption. Sure, a lot of kickstarter backers and some later backers will start with at least a small fort. And strongholds surely will still be buyable later. But why buying, if you can build them ingame with ingame resources? Most times, peoples/guilds will acquire one part after the other. So building will usually be a living thing and develop slowly over time. Even within the group of pre-release backers, the majority (with only a few exceptions ~cough~) don't have more than two small to medium strongholds. For them the current building system is completely sufficient. And for those few others ... well, nobody said it is easy to be a fluffy b.. uhm, i meant landlord ... ;)
  • There are those heights. And those other geographical details. And those maps. And let's face it ... they don't come together very well. Maybe the current map design will change (it's still pre-alpha, isn't it?) but currently, the map parcels don't really show the real geographical details. I mean, they are less accurate than the map parcels i built - and i am far from being a professional. So, if you currently place your wall on a hill on the map ... it instead may hover in the air beside the hill in the world. Or it may be burried in a hill if you place it on a plain on the map. Doesn't work. Besides that the heights are a more complex problem. Height adjustment is important. You can only really see it if you place the parts within the world. How to adjust building heights on a nearly 2D map? That would be really difficult. Not very practicable.
  • The current system allows for building "good enough". And above all: far more than could ever be expected back in the kickstarter days (when we though we would just get a parcel with a predefined stronghold on it). ACE already spent a lot (a LOT) of time to give us those enhanced building opportunities. It's not the only one, but one of the reasons why the game is not released yet. And there are still a lot of other secondary systems (guilds, hierarchy, mounts, caravans, taxes/maintenance, ...) to be published and tested before we can even change to the alpha stage of development. This said, it seems to be extremely unlikely that a system that - except of some bugs - works properly enough, will get a lot of more attention from the developers before release.

Personally, i welcome your suggestion(s). I just don't deem it very likely that those things will happen before release (just still too much other stuff to do, to get the game out). Maybe in a later expansion. But, thats just my personal guessing.

ACE will read this suggestion anyways and check if they can do it now or later or never.

So anyways, thanks for speaking up and have fun in Crowfall. :) 

2 minutes ago, Kraahk said:

Welcome to the forums. :)

I am not sure if i understand your suggestion correctly. Are you suggesting we should be able to place building parts "on the map" instead of "in the world"? Or that we should be able to "edit" placements (like moving objects around instead of having to pick them up and place them again)? Or that we should be able to edit the kingdom through the start menu (which is in the lobby ... so, without having to enter the EK)?

All of this could be interesting of course. 

Here are some reasons, why some of those current circumstances are not very likely to change very soon.

• Huge "immediately existing" strongholds will be the exeption. Sure, a lot of kickstarter backers and some later backers will start with at least a small fort. And strongholds surely will still be buyable later. But why buying, if you can build them ingame with ingame resources? Most times, peoples/guilds will acquire one part after the other. So building will usually be a living thing and develop slowly over time. Even within the group of pre-release backers, the majority (with only a few exceptions ~cough~) don't have more than two small to medium strongholds. For them the current building system is completely sufficient. And for those few others ... well, nobody said it is easy to be a fluffy b.. uhm, i meant landlord ... ;)
  • There are those heights. And those other geographical details. And those maps. And let's face it ... they don't come together very well. Maybe the current map design will change (it's still pre-alpha, isn't it?) but currently, the map parcels don't really show the real geographical details. I mean, they are less accurate than the map parcels i built - and i am far from being a professional. So, if you currently place your wall on a hill on the map ... it instead may hover in the air beside the hill in the world. Or it may be burried in a hill if you place it on a plain on the map. Doesn't work. Besides that the heights are a more complex problem. Height adjustment is important. You can only really see it if you place the parts within the world. How to adjust building heights on a nearly 2D map? That would be really difficult. Not very practicable.
  • The current system allows for building "good enough". And above all: far more than could ever be expected back in the kickstarter days (when we though we would just get a parcel with a predefined stronghold on it). ACE already spent a lot (a LOT) of time to give us those enhanced building opportunities. It's not the only one, but one of the reasons why the game is not released yet. And there are still a lot of other secondary systems (guilds, hierarchy, mounts, caravans, taxes/maintenance, ...) to be published and tested before we can even change to the alpha stage of development. This said, it seems to be extremely unlikely that a system that - except of some bugs - works properly enough, will get a lot of more attention from the developers before release.

Personally, i welcome your suggestion(s). I just don't deem it very likely that those things will happen before release (just still too much other stuff to do, to get the game out). Maybe in a later expansion. But, thats just my personal guessing.

ACE will read this suggestion anyways and check if they can do it now or later or never.

So anyways, thanks for speaking up and have fun in Crowfall. :) 

Not that I am an expert, but maybe what is needed is an out of body camera that allows you a more dynamic look around an area you are placing in, with zoom out/in etc.

I personally found the task of standing and trying to manipulate pieces awkward.  I think what he is after is a better way, maybe not at the map layer, but rather in a more builder camera form.

That could be tricky to deal with in campaign worlds, having that view be used as a scout/POV advantage in large scale battles, but for EK's I could see being able to pan around being something more useful than trying to control your vessel and object placements.

I think it's also important to note, that at least originally ACE wanted to allow player to create building templates, that already had things placed correctly. So for example you could purchase from players a blueprint for a specific parcel and building design, all pieces in place, and simply place it.

Yeah, would be great. All of it.

Like i said, i just doubt that those things may come soon. It's just not important enough, regarding the core content of the game, and especially regarding that it is already working good enough. It's kind of the same as with the PvP, it requires some skill. Why should building be 100% convenient, if nothing else in game is? It's just fair. Or ... fair enough. For now. ;) At least that's my opinion. And frankly, no game ... no reason to build any stronghold (and in campaigns building will mostly be based on given building foundations with specific building stages anyways). 

But sure. If there is enough time and resource to get those things in soon ... i am the last one who would complain. On the other hand ... i want the game to get out now. (for the sake of clarification: my definitions of "now" equals "december 2018"). And anyways, any suggestion is a great thing and might influence the game in the future. Or the future of the game. Whatever. ;)