ACE_Jackal

Pre-Alpha 5 Live! for November - Official Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, ACE_Jackal said:

Pre-Alpha 5 Live! returns today on Twitch!

FULL STORY

Please answer real questions during this Twitch stream. Here are a few.

1. When will mounts be in? Will you release this game without mounts in?

2. What is your most hardcore play style. Is it still dregs, and what are the current planned rules?

3. Do you plan to do anything with aiming? There is a lot of evidence to suggest no on likes the current implementation of targeting.

4. Do you have an estimated release date at this point? Are there any content requirements (like mounts) that you are waiting on before releasing?

5. What are you doing to fix the single player experience? Will there be a mandatory tutorial that will help hold players hands at the beginning of the game?

6. When will the Frostweaver be added?

7. Why is Crowfall better than Camelot Unchained and Ashes of Creation? Do you see yourself in the same place or are you trying to fill a different niche?

I would also love to hear some Big News, but I understand that the purpose of this stream is simply to review patch notes.  I suppose sifting through the nitty-gritty is part of seeing how the sausage gets made.

That said, I am falling asleep here listening.  We could use more interesting anecdotes and less reading the bulleted list.  What is the intent of this stream?  To show that work is getting done?  This is literally as boring as my daily standup at work.  This doesn't appear to be building hype or building community in any significant way.

Back to my hum-drum day.

57 minutes ago, Nazdar said:

I would also love to hear some Big News, but I understand that the purpose of this stream is simply to review patch notes.  I suppose sifting through the nitty-gritty is part of seeing how the sausage gets made.

That said, I am falling asleep here listening.  We could use more interesting anecdotes and less reading the bulleted list.  What is the intent of this stream?  To show that work is getting done?  This is literally as boring as my daily standup at work.  This doesn't appear to be building hype or building community in any significant way.

Back to my hum-drum day.

Honestly delete the streams and just give us the list you are reading. Thomas is pretty good at reading, but I prefer the sound of my own voice.

You could then cut this stream in half and spend 30 minutes just answering questions. I believe everyone would prefer this.

With regards to chants being restricted unless you have it equipped in each tray 

You currently cannot equip bard songs while burrowed/stealth tray .

Question: Why would you attack a Knight?

Answer: There are plenty of reasons to attack a Knight.

......moves on to the next question.

In any other game with tanks, you are berated by your party (and rightly so) for attacking the tank unless there is literally no other archetype left to attack. Their damage is low, their defense is high and they posses no more threat to you than anything else. Could you guys explain why you expect anyone but the least experienced player or a small child playing on dad's account to be attacking the knight (or any other tank) unless there are no other archetypes left to kill.

Edited by Toadwart

12 hours ago, ClockworkOrange said:

Please answer real questions during this Twitch stream. Here are a few.

1. When will mounts be in? Will you release this game without mounts in?

2. What is your most hardcore play style. Is it still dregs, and what are the current planned rules?

3. Do you plan to do anything with aiming? There is a lot of evidence to suggest no on likes the current implementation of targeting.

4. Do you have an estimated release date at this point? Are there any content requirements (like mounts) that you are waiting on before releasing?

5. What are you doing to fix the single player experience? Will there be a mandatory tutorial that will help hold players hands at the beginning of the game?

6. When will the Frostweaver be added?

7. Why is Crowfall better than Camelot Unchained and Ashes of Creation? Do you see yourself in the same place or are you trying to fill a different niche?

All of this!

2 hours ago, Toadwart said:

In any other game with tanks, you are berated by your party (and rightly so) for attacking the tank unless there is literally no other archetype left to attack. Their damage is low, their defense is high and they posses no more threat to you than anything else.

I found the answer to the knight questions pretty disheartening, outside of them possibly buffing them if they needed. 

Chalk this one right up with "Knights are really good, they scale like crazy with equipment".. like every other class. How can a knight scale better than a confessor, druid, cleric, myrmidon, templar or anybody for that matter? Aren't all classes dependent on gear? From what I've seen so far, there really isn't a big difference between the classes when it comes to this. What makes them so special? They keep talking about "fixed objective point fighting" like that's the entirety of the game, but the reality is that 80% of my fights don't take place on objectives, they take place in bumf!ck no where. That's not to mention that no one is dumb enough to sit in a small radius and get worked by knight CC. The amount of mobility makes whatever knight's bring to fixed point fighting a completely moot point.

Could you guys explain why you expect anyone but the least experienced player or a small child playing on dad's account to be attacking the knight (or any other tank) unless there are no other archetypes left to kill.

The reality is the knight's "threat" is to impose himself on a target or multiple targets. No one will target a knight unless they have to, but knights CAN be annoying. That's their purpose; to disrupt the enemy. The problem is that the knight doesn't have the sustain of the other "tanks" to do this reliably or long periods of time.

People don't want 360 degree block, but I can only laugh at how f!cked the knight will be when this change happens.

Edited by Helix

if knight is supposedly such a gear based class* - why do shields offer nothing compelling as an item of gear outside of a few additional metal bar combination stats...?

[e.g. no native stats to mitigation/damage or whatever and no meaningful or observable difference between shield types]

*p.s. templar gets the same armor/base hp/RMB mitigations - but also stacking +max hp effects....

Speaking of gear scaling:

Why do all heals (e.g. discs and classes) still state they heal X base + Y% weapon 'damage' if you removed that ages ago e.g. cleric miracle '1000%'

[and again - the lack of scaling from weapon outside of support power feels neither impactful or interesting - and ultimately limits stat choice too - see also other fixed value effects e.g. +AP/SP, barriers, thorns etc]

Edited by Tinnis

Sigh... A 1 hour stream and no meaningful info? I admit i didnt watch it but judging from the comments (the lack of) it still is the same old stuff.

8 hours ago, Toadwart said:

Haha. That is why i stopped watching this.

I must admit I was disappointed with the response to the knight questions too.  Saying that knights will eventually have 6-8x effective health with gear and training is misleading on three levels: 

1. knights gain the same amount of value from scaling armor values that the rest of the classes do.  Everyone with 75% mitigations will have 4x the effective life of someone with 0% mitigations, no matter their class.   
  2. you cap mitigations at 75% so a knight with 75% mitigations who's blocking will still have 4x effective life.. block doesn't double effective life.  There is absolutely nothing to indicate a knight can get 6-8 times effective life. 
  3. making knights harder to kill without making them threatening means they will continue to be ignored and avoided until all the high threat targets are dead, and then will be finished off at leisure. 

As to reasons to attack a knight:  1 - there's nobody else around to attack.  2 - you're melee and there's nobody else around to attack other than a templar.

We've gone over it before.  There is a fundamental design flaw in Crowfall - your most mobile classes are ranged dps.  Your best CC'ers are ranged DPS.   There is no overall balance between dps/healer, tank, harasser, ranged, melee.  You undervalue range in your calculations dramatically.  You put far too much value on rate of attack and not enough on burst dmg.  It doesn't matter that an attack has a slow animation if it hits like a truck.  Burst dmg is dmg royalty in group combat. Burst dmg from range is king.  Little pitter patter dmg has far less value in a fight with healers.  Pitter patter damage from melee characters is the least valuable of all, because it is both the most easily avoided, and the easiest to heal through.

I was also disappointed in the response to the "how do you respond to us flocking to OP race/class combos?"  Looking at the logs to see what's most played is useless.  Solo players and casuals skew the numbers too much.  What matters is which classes the big successful guilds are bringing to fights.  If a big guild brings 6 wood elf rangers and 4 wood elf druids to a 10-man fight, you can be pretty confident that the wood elf teleport is too good.

Edited by durenthal