Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Armor Layers

Avarinda

While experimenting with leather armor i noticed that leather armor has no physical mitigations, so i started looking into what stats could be added to my crafts to offset this.  What i found was only leather armor layer could be added to leather recipes, and metal layers to blacksmithing recipes.  The problem with this system is all of the physical bonus's are on the metal layers, and elemental/organic bonus's are on the leather layers.  Would it not allow for better customization to allow any layer to be used in any recipe, plate/chain could spec their armor for more magic mitigations, and leather wearers could gain some physical mitigation (ie studded leather).  It seemed like a needless segregation.  Your thoughts ?

• 2 weeks later...

I will say that even in 5.3 is it very difficult to achieve what the OP is trying to do. For example, plate has 0 fire resistance but if you want to make plate with well-rounded mitigations the best you're going to be able to do is add 2-3 mitigation to fire and that's with good mats and rolls. For the effort and mats put into that, I'd much rather get AP, HP, SUpport or really anything else.

I do believe this is working as intended. They want armor to always have it's primary/secondary/thirdly mitigation values, I just wish they would allow to have a way of rounding it off a bit better and get to more even mitigations at a cost of another.

The way hit targets are determined exacerbates this further.  Right now hit location (arm, torso, head, et cetera) is randomized, with some attacks skewing more towards one than another (I.e. ground explosions will hit legs much of the time).  This means that we can’t even balance resistances by using several different types of armor, but on the flip side, attackers can’t target weak points based on their attack options.

The best options right now seems to be just pick a type and wear a full suit of that so you can get the matched bonus, and we are pretty much guessing as to what damage we will face.  As is we are losing the versatility of fully customizable armor without much gain.

21 minutes ago, shamelessPuck said:

The way hit targets are determined exacerbates this further.  Right now hit location (arm, torso, head, et cetera) is randomized, with some attacks skewing more towards one than another (I.e. ground explosions will hit legs much of the time).  This means that we can’t even balance resistances by using several different types of armor, but on the flip side, attackers can’t target weak points based on their attack options.

The best options right now seems to be just pick a type and wear a full suit of that so you can get the matched bonus, and we are pretty much guessing as to what damage we will face.  As is we are losing the versatility of fully customizable armor without much gain.

Yeah I definitely dont like the randomizing hit location either, really either do just one big pools of all armours added together (obviously that would mean less armour value per piece than we have now, so the total end up around what we get per piece), or allow use to actually with decide where we want to hit, assuming we can aim properly.

The one big pools allows for a lot more customization on the equipment lvl since you could go all out in one armour type and  be really strong and one point but really weak at another, or you could try and mix and match to get an all around decent protection against anything, but no one type being super strong.

With aiming deciding hit location, it adds a huge amount of skill to the battle on both sides, for once the attacker have to be able to identify in the heat of the battle the type of armor the enemy wears at each spot and then try and hit parts with something that part is weak again, where the one getting hit could try and turn like their side to the enemy casters if they got good magical protection on the arms there while the torso you got better physical protection but little against magic etc

Edited by Gummiel

1 hour ago, Gummiel said:

Bunch of reasonable things...

I also love the idea of being able to actually target specific body parts, but I think the attack and reticule system we have right now doesn’t really allow for reasonable targeted aiming.  There might be some compromise by making each ability target specific body parts, or a small subset of them, which would make split armor add value while still being feasible to implement and use in game.

2 minutes ago, shamelessPuck said:

I also love the idea of being able to actually target specific body parts, but I think the attack and reticule system we have right now doesn’t really allow for reasonable targeted aiming.  There might be some compromise by making each ability target specific body parts, or a small subset of them, which would make split armor add value while still being feasible to implement and use in game.

Ohh certainly the aiming would have to be tightened up A LOT for hit-detection of each body part to work, having each ability hit a certain spot I guess would be okay as well, but I would still by far prefer a proper aiming version.

Another interesting effect actually of having to aim for specific body parts, is that the size and shape of a character would also determine how easy it would be, making race matter even more, sure a big bulky tank already in the front help block shots to your smaller characters in the backline, but that big bulky character it would also be easier to both identify what armor he/she got where, and hit the specific spots that are weak to your dmg types, where something like a guinecean, even if you identify the weak spot actually hitting that specific spot could prove troublesome

13 hours ago, shamelessPuck said:

I haven't paid attention as of late but I was under the impression that specific abilities did target specific areas.  Ex.  Attack that trips does target the feet and one that blinds does target the head.  Is random targeting actually the way it is or is this just speculation?