Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tinnis

'Multiple' Healthbar systems from other games or health as a long term resource

During time away from testing Crowfall, I found myself playing or reading about games that don't just follow the traditional 'one health bar' system.

e.g.

Battlerite

'Recovery health'

Lose more than 40 hp before healing -> start losing maxhp as well

battlerite-recovery-health-overview.jpg

[left character has lost some of their max hp [faded out]. right character has not]

>A unique aspect of Battlerite is that when your health dips below a certain threshold (buffer of 40 hp is maintained between real and recovery health), you become unable to be healed past that threshold. Your new maximum health at this point is called your recovery health. For example, if you have 250hp max hp and droped to 200hp, then you end up with 240 recovery hp, meaning you are only able to be healed up to 240hp.

Pillars of eternity

'Endurance and health'

9qewHE4.png

['endurance' is the red shading over the portrait, 'health' is the green bar]

>Endurance is your resistance to short-term injury, or how much damage a character can withstand before they are knocked unconscious in battle. Endurance is replenished through an assortment of means, including healing spells, class abilities, and items such as healing potions. These can be used during combat. Once combat ends, endurance replenishes.

>The damage that a character takes applies to Endurance. If a character loses all of their Endurance during a battle, they will be knocked unconscious. Characters with already low Health (more on this later) can die if they run out of Endurance. Unconscious characters cannot move or take any actions. Fortunately, there are abilities that allow unconscious characters to be revived during combat. If not, they are out of the fight until combat is over.

>Health represents long-term injury or how much damage a character can sustain before they are Maimed or die permanently. Health does not regenerate on its own and is much more difficult to recover than Endurance. Health is replenished by resting, either at an inn or out in the wilderness. It is important for players to take note of how much Health their party members have before venturing forth or deciding when to rest.

>Health loss occurs at the same time as Endurance loss, but a character has a larger pool of Health than Endurance. When a character loses all of their health, they will be knocked unconscious and receive a Maimed status effect. Sustaining damage while Maimed permanently kills the character.

Bonus mention: I love their implementation of the 'Barbarian frenzy'. That character hides both their endurance and health for the duration. For both allies and enemies.

PVckrNw.png

Grim dawn

'Health and constitution'

qxqVRUM.png

Constitution is a secondary health regeneration system which activates outside of combat.

A character starts with 300 points of constitution, and each point heals 1% of maximum health. This means a character can fully regenerate three times before constitution runs out.

Camelot unchained

fRu48Y1.png

Body parts with multiple 'wound' thresholds that cap the maximum health (e.g. 66% or 33% etc) until 'cured' either by either healer - or temporary suppressed by another class power - or out of combat.

JC3ihmG.png

Do you think a combination of said ideas would work for Crowfall? Food and hunger system has some elements of this...but not so much in action.

Would be nice to:

- avoid long drawn out battles of attrition
- avoid stacked healing spam ['light in combat healing and no fire-hose healing!']
- avoid prolonged single target damage/heal focus fire dodge chasing...
- adding to the 'survival' elements...

For instance for Crowfall context you could use a:

- GD or PoE style 'constitution/endurance' pool every time you receive a healing effect - and when it runs out then the power of healing on you is entirely or partially % diminshed.

or

- go for BR/CU style 'maximum health' diminishing over time during a prolonged combat

[the final level of food meter has an effect like this that reduces your max life to 20%...but never been any where close to relevant...]

Such pools could slowly be replenished only by breaking combat mode [and accelerated via campfires and eating food]

Different classes could have different sized pools/caps e.g. tanks etc or even powers to temporary bypass such restrictions.

Thoughts and what you feel about 'the traditional system' vs others you may have played or seen elsewhere?

Edited by Tinnis
due to forum pixies

I advocated for something like this very early on in development, but I don't think they were really interested in doing something like this. I'd like to see the barrier system be more robust, sort of like Dragon Age Inquisition's "Guard" mechanic for fighters or their barrier mechanic for mages.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

1 hour ago, soulein said:

I advocated for something like this very early on in development, but I don't think they were really interested in doing something like this. I'd like to see the barrier system be more robust, sort of like Dragon Age Inquisition's "Guard" mechanic for fighters or their barrier mechanic for mages.

Yes, that would be another good example. I was initially against their move to remove healing after having it in the two previous games, but the system worked well as a whole and was refreshing - especially for tanks.

[healing is rare. some very limited lifesteal. some limited quantity health potions - think more dark souls than diablo. magical barriers with short durations that rapidly decay. tanks generated their own temporary barrier called guard via their powers - both defensive and offensive. also isabela 'the duelist' from multiplayer  that could generate 3 'coins' [sort of pips] for either entire immunity to next hit a.k.a. a bladeturn / aegis - or to amplify other powers]

Edited by Tinnis