Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Musashi7

Controls are unuseful

I'm sure this has been talked about a lot but no amount is too much until it's fixed. Having to move with wsad and fight with 12345678 is impossible, clumsy, clunky and ridiculous. Why not click to move with the mouse and have skills numbered? Are you really planning to leave it like this? I hope there is a viable controller option or your just handicapping every player with the contortions they have to use in attempt to use skills. 

plz do not tell me you can't press 9 buttons to play....

what next? tab target with mouse clicking on skills? you asking to make this game backstep to 2004 with world of warcraft.

all they need - make possible to change hotkeys for 1-9 buttons, fix big hitboxes and fix bugs. combat is ok.

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

WASD and the number row is not ideal, but it’s pretty important to be able to look and aim separately from movement, which pretty much means the current mouse and WASD setup.  That’s just the design flaw in conventional mice and keyboards.  Being able to change key binding will help, or just buy a mouse that has programmable buttons and macro 1-6 to that (which is what I do).

8 hours ago, Musashi7 said:

Having to move with wsad and fight with 12345678 is impossible, clumsy, clunky and ridiculous. 

I'm trying to think of which game, 1st person/3rd person over the shoulder, doesn't use WASD for movement.

Which game are you playing that has a "click to move" movement system? It sounds more like the MOBA or Strategy game genres.

I think you'd lose a ton of reaction time with a "click to move"  versus a "mouse look- WASD strafing" set up.

I'm sure this has been talked about a lot but no amount is too much until it's fixed. Having to move with wsad and fight with 12345678 is impossible, clumsy, clunky and ridiculous. Why not click to move with the mouse and have skills numbered? Are you really planning to leave it like this? I hope there is a viable controller option or your just handicapping every player with the contortions they have to use in attempt to use skills. 

No it has not been talked about a lot, cause there is no other than WASD movement that would work for Crowfall, a game lik CF, where you are supposed to actually be good at the game, a click-to move system takes that whole good at the game part out of it, you loose a LOT of in combat control and precision with click-to-move vs WASD movement. And yes eventually you will be able to change all the key-bindings so 1-9 not be what you need to use if you dont want to, but you will never get click-to-move

As long as they let you rebind your keys there should be no problem.  Their current default scheme is fairly standard for the industry so I am sorry it is jarring to you, but you should be able to rebind things to a scheme that is better suited to your preferences.  

Aside from that don't mind the snarky responses you've been getting.  

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Just now, entityofsin said:

I really should dust mine off.. haha

Yep...   thumb toggle for wasd (I rotate by 90 deg so up is forward)...  have used this system for years now, mines the old Belkin n52te...    so much cleaner plus we won't talk about bardsong rotations.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

I guess I didn't explain what I meant well enough. By click to move I don't mean clicking on the ground I meant looking and moving toward where you are looking by click a button of your choice, usually on the mouse. For example right click and hold it down and you move where every you are looking.  Not saying that's the only way it could work but using your middle finger to move foreword and trying to hit number keys at the same time is not practical. Claiming that its "good gaming" to be able to do so is stupid. Good gaming is choosing the right skill strategies in the right order during a fight not overcoming a mechanical handicap with your keyboard. Some of us have damaged joints for instance and contortions with the hands are hard to pull off. Not all gamers are under 30 and born with a controller in their hands. I do agree it will get a lot better with programmable keyboard and mouse.

Moving where you are looking removed the ability to strafe or run backwards while still attacking, both of which are crucial to the style of combat CF is going for.  Yes, WASD and 1-6 makes for awkward left hand contortions; either wait for rebindable controls, or buy either a game pad like one pictured above, or a gaming mouse that lets you push functions to other buttons.

22 hours ago, makkon said:

plz do not tell me you can't press 9 buttons to play....

what next? tab target with mouse clicking on skills? you asking to make this game backstep to 2004 with world of warcraft.

all they need - make possible to change hotkeys for 1-9 buttons, fix big hitboxes and fix bugs. combat is ok.

Many many games today have a way to move using the mouse; while the OP said "click to move" I'm going to take that to mean that you can press RMB to move forward and LMB to move backwards.

I had the same frustration when I first started playing CF.  I quickly reprogrammed my mouse to use RMB as my move forward button, which frees up my left hand only for skills (I don't even use the default LMB for attacking, I use a hotkeyed keyboard button).

14 hours ago, Gummiel said:

No it has not been talked about a lot, cause there is no other than WASD movement that would work for Crowfall, a game lik CF.....

I personally hate WASD and always change it to my mouse for movement; which CF could do.  What really hinders CF in this approach is the less than desirable "alt" for cursor mode that they have.  They could program that when the player is moving that the cursor auto disappears and when there is no movement that the cursor reappears.  That would be a much better system and lend itself to better mouse movement.

28 minutes ago, Musashi7 said:

I guess I didn't explain what I meant well enough. By click to move I don't mean clicking on the ground I meant looking and moving toward where you are looking by click a button of your choice, usually on the mouse. For example right click and hold it down and you move where every you are looking.  Not saying that's the only way it could work but using your middle finger to move foreword and trying to hit number keys at the same time is not practical. Claiming that its "good gaming" to be able to do so is stupid. Good gaming is choosing the right skill strategies in the right order during a fight not overcoming a mechanical handicap with your keyboard. Some of us have damaged joints for instance and contortions with the hands are hard to pull off. Not all gamers are under 30 and born with a controller in their hands. I do agree it will get a lot better with programmable keyboard and mouse.

21 minutes ago, shamelessPuck said:

Moving where you are looking removed the ability to strafe or run backwards while still attacking, both of which are crucial to the style of combat CF is going for.  Yes, WASD and 1-6 makes for awkward left hand contortions; either wait for rebindable controls, or buy either a game pad like one pictured above, or a gaming mouse that lets you push functions to other buttons.

@Musashi7 I'm running the same type of setup you want to run; but it requires a programmable mouse.  I use a Logitech and accompanying software, where I setup a profile that changes my RMB to be the "W" key, and I leave LMB as the default.  Then I use my DPI decrease button as my "S" button, with Left and Right Scroll clicks for strafing.  I have been using this setup for years as my default in other games, it just took a bit more to accomplish in Crowfall.

The biggest hurdle to do this, is then I have to use one of my G-keys (again on a logitech keyboard) to reprogram my RMB.  It takes a bit of getting used to when wanting to right click inventory items (because I'm using my G3 key as a stand in for RMB) but it is infinitely better for combat being able to use all movement on the mouse hand, and all skills with the keyboard hand.

1 hour ago, Teufel said:

Many many games today have a way to move using the mouse; while the OP said "click to move" I'm going to take that to mean that you can press RMB to move forward and LMB to move backwards.

many many clones, not games. why I still w8 CF, participate in bugged alpha, making reports? right, coz it provide me my choise (almost nontarget gameplay from first person, sandbox, pvp, decent craft and character building). IF they make such hard decition to make combat with mouse clicking like old D&D games, so I left this project. Dunno about other testers.

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: Out of Fury

Discord makkon#8550

4 hours ago, Musashi7 said:

I guess I didn't explain what I meant well enough. By click to move I don't mean clicking on the ground I meant looking and moving toward where you are looking by click a button of your choice, usually on the mouse.

Yes - this sort of movement has been previously confirmed for the future by one of the co-founders @Tyrant

0PmexV1.png

[source]

Edited by Tinnis

2 hours ago, makkon said:

many many clones, not games. why I still w8 CF, participate in bugged alpha, making reports? right, coz it provide me my choise (almost nontarget gameplay from first person, sandbox, pvp, decent craft and character building). IF they make such hard decition to make combat with mouse clicking like old D&D games, so I left this project. Dunno about other testers.

@makkon The OP came back and stated what he meant; which was just a way to move forward using the mouse, he didn't mean actual click on the screen and the player controller would go to that spot.  The OP is not asking for tab target, or click to move; the OP is simply asking for a way to move forward using the mouse instead of having to use "W".

I have solved this problem as have others, but a true remapping feature by ACE would be nice within the game for players that don't want to be forced to buy a different mouse.  This is what @Tinnis alluded to in Gordon's comment.

Current controls of WASD, mouse aim and 1-0 are awkard (5-0 especially)

I have personally created external rebinds

e.g. 5-8 keys are <hold mouse key> + 1-4 keys

This improved my control a huge amount!

simple autohotkey remap - no hardware or software required!

beginners guide: https://autohotkey.com/docs/Tutorial.htm

Remap documentation: https://autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm

Edited by Tinnis

17 hours ago, Frykka said:

iALg22w.png

Fixt by this...  we haven't used ground clicking since Shadowbane

Exactly. I used a Logitech G13 for a few years, but just replaced it with a Razer Tartarus V2 that recently came out. Main differences between the Nostromo you posted and the new Tartarus V2 is an extra row of (5) keys and built in wrist pad.

1 minute ago, Nevron said:

Exactly. I used a Logitech G13 for a few years, but just replaced it with a Razer Tartarus V2 that recently came out. Main differences between the Nostromo you posted and the new Tartarus V2 is an extra row of (5) keys and built in wrist pad.

I am still on my N52te Belkin...  the black keys are worn to pearly white from my mashing.   V2 sounds great. 4 rows?

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai