Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Concept] World Travel - Removing The Arbitrary And Increasing Immersion.

So I'm going to use some fuzzy-logic to approximate the conditions under which we travel between worlds. 

1. We are traveling to physical planets. Thus we are shifting our relative positions in space so the way we get there will have to be a process involving the transportation of matter.

2. We know that the planets we visit have different world physics that dictate how we are able to interact with that particular universes reality (export rules etc). So we know there are multiple universes. If we classify a universe as a dimension of space with it's own unique rules and laws regarding how things interact in that space. 

3. Time can pass at different rates in the same universe so we working with multiple dimensions.

I propose that we are in fact Universe hopping, time dimension traveling, and traveling FTL.

So I propose the following relative rules to dictate how world hopping works. (See I had a point)

Law 1
If you're traveling in the same universe either (Eternal Kingdom 'EK', God's Reach 'GR', The Infected 'Ti', The Shadow "Ts', Dregs 'UD') Then we are able to travel most easily. Using the simplest of high speed near instantaneous matter transportation techniques.

Law 2
If traveling between the next universe (see point 3 for why it's different universe e.g EK vs GR) an additional resource must be paid for the ability to move from one universe to the next.

Law 3
If traveling between the EK (preserved in an alternate space time), an additional mundane resource cost must be paid to travel from other universe in order to travel into the proper dimension that the EK exist, or be lost to the void.

Players traveling between worlds in any manner is taxing on non-ascended beings (i.e non-god type creatures). Traveling between worlds must have a detrimental affect with each jump that last for exponentially increasing periods of time based on the nature of the jump. This can be mitigated through technological advancements, or by means of divine right (Ascended being granted) or a combination of the two...

With these laws in play players are then forced to make tactical decisions about who, when, why, where, and what way they travel without arbitrarily placing limits on the decisions players make that leave you irritated. Oh you just sent 25 people from the EK to Universe Si, but you want to go to Universe GR well you still can, but that second jump in a short time will negatively affect your prowess as players. can you afford to do it or should you stick to the challenge at hand where you are? And it follows the Rule-of-3, which makes it an accessible and easy to ascertain concept.

How does this translate to game-play? Well rather than laundry list every exact detail I present to you instead a sample MOTD from a Guild that you might see who is under the affects of these laws and you can infer from there other details.

[just my personal interpretation]

As a Guild:

"Today we will be vying for control on Alpha Sida-Prime and Alpha Sida-Double Prime, our vanguards have successfully secured  local territories to establish our keep. (Our scouts work paid off kudos to JgPwner12 and Episolon for getting us the early drop :) check ur mail boxes for a gift ^//^!!)...To the newbies: This will be a one way journey to "Universe Ts", you will not return to the EK until we've secured enough of Substances Zeta and Theta on the "Alpha Sida twins" to power the Bioorganism Instantaneous Far Reaching Outter Simplex Teleporter (Or BiFrost for short)...There's a lot of psudo-science mumbo-jumbo, but suffice it to say we won't be leaving Universe Ts anytime soon with out a Divine Passage. The Bifrost only teleports your character so sadly we'll be going in naked as the day we were born, but we won't be alone...3 other guilds have already set-up base camps so we have to move quickly to fortify our own before we're rushed. For the glory of Gaea (and phat loot) we'll return to the EK champions in the eyes of the Gods!"

Additonally:
Guilds/players apart of the group who have "won" the objective will get divine passage back to the EK or their next planet/universe hop. While players who lose will have XX hours/days left on the dying world to harvest resources to get out alive before they lose their gear/soul/experience. Then it becomes an all out fight to survive creating value even after the win-condition has been won..

As an individual [Lore Addition]:

It's difficult to write a similar example here, but as a solo player I would be remiss to not think about my own kind and explain how it relates to solo play. Since a solo player only has to consider themselves when traveling.  The ability to travel is significantly easier for them than trying to get groups of people to planets.

(Aside:This also combats the problematic forms of world hopping/zerg rushes without removing the zerg rush as a strategy it just makes it's one you have to REALLY plan for. This is based on an assumption that award types will be spread across Universes so hopping between multiple worlds in the same Univerese should be less problematic than giving people ease of access vertically across all Universes.)

As a solo-player the Burden of Travel is far lower. To provide a framework for solo-players I'd like to introduce a meta-mechanic .

"The Faction of the independent"

An Ancient order that facilitates these "Hunger Games".

As a solo player the faction of the independent is where you would belong too. You could travel between worlds alone (resource cost still applicable), without having to invest into technologies that guilds will have too. Guilds are barred access to the faction of the independents neutral equipment. They are the ones who "watch" so to speak.

The Faction of the independent make it to the dying worlds by some ancient unknown treaty between the gods and these ascended beings.

These Faction outpost can serve as hubs and neutral points of contact on each world. It could potentially function as a safe zone for those in the Faction of the independent as a trade-off for losing out on all the benefits available to being in a guild, making solo play viable without being over-privileged. (see I had a plan the whole time...thanks for sticking around this far.)

I leave the rest to your imaginations.

Edit: I forgot the most important part, the premise. This addresses my concerns with just placing arbitrary rules on players instead of weaving it into the fabric of the game itself. All the ways for solving world hopping have revolved around just putting rules on players that say you can't swap worlds after XX times on the basis of "just because". I want to have interwoven reasons for it.

Edit 2: I employ some stargate rules for world travel here as well power requirements increase the longer a connection is established etc.

If any of this makes it into the game in any form I will get Crowfall crow tattooed on my body.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

puppy punch Count: 28

'fuzzy' logic? dontcha mean furry-logic *snickers* im just teasing. Yer ALL furry compared to a Dwarf. Yeah i have nothing to really add of any value.

HUE yea, but seriously v.v :(!!!!!

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

It may seem inconsequential to put Arbitrary rules into a game, but it's because we've been conditioned to accept them. There are a lot of benefits to creating rules that comes internally from the game rather than by external-fiat.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

Maybe you should put your premise at the beginning of the text rather than at the end. We could know earlier the reason why you propose solutions. " my concerns with just placing arbitrary rules on players instead of weaving it into the fabric of the game itself. ... putting rules on players that say you can't swap worlds after XX times on the basis of "just because "

I agree that the export conditions and other restrictions in the gameplay could be explained by the lore. I think it's acceptable to make it more difficult for a player to travel from a world to another as the distance gets greater.

However the teleportation machine, the multiverse theory and all what is more specific to Science Fiction shouldn't be, I believe, used in a fantasy / medieval game.

The difference in the timeflow between 2 universes is something I feel could be explained in the lore : why do years last 30 days in Dregs and 180 days in God's Reach? Maybe we could explain this with something that fits in the fantasy universe. The multidimension explanation, I think, just doesn't resemble enough to what I've seen and what I want to see in Crowfall.

I like some of your ideas and I think some concepts could be reworked.  :)

Edited by courant101

I don't agree with your need for reasons behind everything, although I don't disagree that they can be fun. Sports games are full of arbitrary rules. In fact, the rules ARE the game.

I think if the reasons are too much of a stretch, it has an even more negative impact on immersion than arbitrary rules.. So I'm not for that line of thinking unless it really does add to the experience.

The reasons above feel like a stretch and fail to encompass the PvP laws on a world, so I'm not that into them.

Maybe you should put your premise at the beginning of the text rather than at the end. We could know earlier the reason why you propose solutions. " my concerns with just placing arbitrary rules on players instead of weaving it into the fabric of the game itself. ... putting rules on players that say you can't swap worlds after XX times on the basis of "just because "

I agree that the export conditions and other restrictions in the gameplay could be explained by the lore. I think it's acceptable to make it more difficult for a player to travel from a world to another as the distance gets greater.

However the teleportation machine, the multiverse theory and all what is more specific to Science Fiction shouldn't be, I believe, used in a fantasy / medieval game.

The difference in the timeflow between 2 universes is something I feel could be explained in the lore : why do years last 30 days in Dregs and 180 days in God's Reach? Maybe we could explain this with something that fits in the fantasy universe. The  multidimension explanation, I think, just doesn't resemble to what I've seen of Crowfall.

I like some of your ideas and I think some concepts could be reworked.  :)

Fantasy isn't that far different from science fiction: See Thor, stargate. What is magic in those universes, but misunderstood science.

If we can expect players to travel through some inter-dimensional gateway to get from one universe and the next planet then there are reasons for why it works even if it is "magic" there is no reason why there can't be some explanation. 

You don't have to agree with my specific examples they're just examples I have no interest in coming up with the exact way it's implemented I just want to see some reason behind the teleportation.

They're like guidelines not final orders.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

Fantasy is that far different from science fiction: See Thor, stargate. What is magic in those universes, but misunderstood science.

If we can expect players to travel through some inter-dimensional gateway then there are reasons for why it works even if it is "magic" there is no reason why there can't be some explanation. 

I personally want a true fantasy game.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

I like your idea about making traveling between different universes take more effort than traveling in the same universe. However, I don't know if I like the idea of it requiring resources (It sounds like it could be a real hassle).

I like your idea about making traveling between different universes take more effort than traveling in the same universe. However, I don't know if I like the idea of it requiring resources (It sounds like it could be a real hassle).

Well what do you expect to be able to go everywhere at any point in time for free? It's already been addressed by the developers that the ability to just go anywhere and switch planets frequently is problematic. This is simply a solution to a mutually agreed upon problem. There has to be a hassle involved. I mean the basis of this economy is about crafting. Do you think that at no point in time you won't be out collecting some resource for something at some point in time? Whether it be by resource nodes or by killings free roaming mobs or even jacking others players resources. It's not like it's something that has to be out of the way.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

I personally want a true fantasy game.

There's nothing stopping it from being a true fantasy game. This doesn't change the fundamentals of the game. Under no circumstances am I saying everyone will get mecha guns, and start jacking stim packs. This is one small facet of pseudo-scientific explanation about how traveling works. Nothing more. It doesn't devalue anything fantasy about the game. And science exist in Fantasy as well. Alchemy isn't just fancy spells and hand movements.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

There's nothing stopping it from being a true fantasy game. This doesn't change the fundamentals of the game. Under no circumstances am I saying everyone will get mecha guns, and start jacking stim packs. This is one small facet of pseudo-scientific explanation about how traveling works. Nothing more. It doesn't devalue anything fantasy about the game. And science exist in Fantasy as well. Alchemy isn't just fancy spells and hand movements.

I personally don't want any technological elements, even steam punk type machines. Just my personal preference.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

I personally don't want any technological elements, even steam punk type machines. Just my personal preference.

I'm going to try and break this down:

There's a Giant Purple portal that people walk through.

Okay.

The portal shimmers and waivers.

Okay.

It goes out.

Okay.

How do you fix it? Buy supplying it with a magical resource that powers it.

Okay.

It turns back on because the portal has to have a magical resource to keep the connection stable. The farther away the portal transports you the more of the resource is used like mana.

Okay.

This is literally the same thing I'm suggesting except with more science-like explanation. You can't avoid technology it's just there. Even if you don't recognize it as such.

Edited by phatcat09

#CrowFallBata

~Sweet Sensations~

Personally, I'd like to see limited traveling between worlds. And by limited, I mean basically none at all while you're in a campaign.

Agreed, I feel it's really hard to learn all the things related to a new game, managing several worlds at the time would probably make it harder.

"I'm in the Dregs world right now but my guild in Infected is having trouble to fight the Lordos guild, but I can't help right now because i let 85% of my stuff in the Shadows and my bank might just have been stolen by the Remi guild so I will first go to Reach and...

Edited by courant101