Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gauging Interest For Guild For "Older" Gamers: 30+? 35+?

Tumnus

Let's face it:  if you're over 25, your ability to succeed based on fast-twitch movements is on the decline.  

I know 30 isn't old, nor is 50, and really 60 isn't.  70 might be old, but my dad is nearly 70 and I like to think of him as young.  However, in terms of the elite competition we see in such games, we are forced to come up with alternative strategies as our fast-twitch skills go into decline

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/minds-business/cognitive-motor-skills-start-to-fall-before-age-25.html

“After around 24 years of age, players show slowing in a measure of cognitive speed that is known to be important for performance,” explains Joe Thompson, the lead author of the study. “This cognitive performance decline is present even at higher levels of skill.”

But older players, though slower, seem to compensate by employing simpler strategies and using the game’s interface more efficiently than younger players, enabling them to retain their skill, despite cognitive motor-speed loss, Thompson said. For example, older players more readily use shortcut and sophisticated command keys to compensate for declining speed in executing real time decisions.

The findings, says Thompson, suggest “that our cognitive-motor capacities are not stable across our adulthood, but are constantly in flux, and that our day-to-day performance is a result of the constant interplay between change and adaptation.”

After a short discussion with some players well above the threshold of decline, it occurred to me that it might be fun to gather players focused on "compensating by employing simpler strategies and using the game's interface more efficiently than younger players" and make a guild out of it.

If you're interested, let's have a conversation about it here and possibly get something formed up.  I would think a group of grizzled and battle-hardened veterans of life might be able to make an impact and enjoy time playing together.

I am in my early 30's. Crowfall isn't a fast twitchy game. It isn't a MOBA or FPS either. So I haven't found myself unable to compete or player on a comparable level to people older or younger than me. The only thing that has made a difference is how much time someone spends playing the game. In a lot of ways, just playing a game a lot can make you better. Your accuracy of aiming improves, time to judge situations decreases which increases response times, and optimizing keybindings for easy muscle memory.

The thing about being an older player (age wise) is that the collected pool of experience brings a lot to the table. A simple strategy might not be enough to compete. Since being an older player grants the ability to bring in a lot of different gaming experiences from potentially a larger array of games, that can be enough. Even the experiences from life can bring an edge in competitive gaming.

I'll be honest with you, the guilds, factions, and players that win are probably going to be the people that play smart. Intelligent plays are derived from experiences gained from the decisions we make in a game. Card games are a great example of that.

I really wouldn't be worried about whether or not some little kid or high schooler is going to out perform you in Crowfall. I think it's more important to find a group of people that are like-minded and have similar goals to yours.

OS_Sig3.png

25 minutes ago, entityofsin said:

I really wouldn't be worried about whether or not some little kid or high schooler is going to out perform you in Crowfall. I think it's more important to find a group of people that are like-minded and have similar goals to yours.

Great, then I'll count you in :P

Seriously, though:  I agree that Crowfall is no MOBA, but at the same time it is far from a classic MMO.  Any game that begins to be skill-based rather than character-based gives the advantage to those who can more efficiently get "thought" from brain to finger.  Since this isn't a "target, select ability" game, but rather a "track player, aim, select ability, maintain aim, auto attack, maintain aim", it will be affected more by those elements that are profitable in a MOBA setting and an FPS setting.

My hope in bringing the older players together would be to do exactly as you state:  gather players with experience that rely on wisdom and intelligent plays.

That's the thing Tumnus, there are probably going to be a lot of 30+ aged players in the game. I am not tethered right now to any specific guild banner so I wouldn't count me in on anything. Too early for me to devote allegiance to a guild but I do have my eyes on one that I'll keep to myself. Just never know when something comes along that better suits what I am looking for. Even have thought of starting my own guild too but that's a time sink I might not be able to commit too.

OS_Sig3.png

At 48...I'm not the oldest Winterblade...but I'm certainly at that end of the spectrum. I think you'd be surprised how many members of the currently active and competitive guilds are in their 40s.  Crowfall has a lot of old Shadowbane Vets...and we played SB from 2003-2009 (and earlier if you were in beta)...which necessarily dates a lot of us.

40 minutes ago, Gradishar said:

At 48...I'm not the oldest Winterblade...but I'm certainly at that end of the spectrum. I think you'd be surprised how many members of the currently active and competitive guilds are in their 40s.  Crowfall has a lot of old Shadowbane Vets...and we played SB from 2003-2009 (and earlier if you were in beta)...which necessarily dates a lot of us.

Great point I hadn't thought of, Gradishar.  I'm a Shadowbane vet myself (Dread server in the early days, primarily), so I'm sure there are tons of us in our 30's and 40's based off of the draw this game has for Shadowbaners alone.

I'm curious - what part of Iowa are you from?  I'm a Nebraskan myself.

Just now, Tumnus said:

Great point I hadn't thought of, Gradishar.  I'm a Shadowbane vet myself (Dread server in the early days, primarily), so I'm sure there are tons of us in our 30's and 40's based off of the draw this game has for Shadowbaners alone.

I'm curious - what part of Iowa are you from?  I'm a Nebraskan myself.

Just across the river in CB. 

44 minutes ago, entityofsin said:

That's the thing Tumnus, there are probably going to be a lot of 30+ aged players in the game. I am not tethered right now to any specific guild banner so I wouldn't count me in on anything. Too early for me to devote allegiance to a guild but I do have my eyes on one that I'll keep to myself. Just never know when something comes along that better suits what I am looking for. Even have thought of starting my own guild too but that's a time sink I might not be able to commit too.

I'd really like to be part of a group of guys running a guild, since it is certainly a time sink.  Share responsibilities and whatnot.  

I help run an online baseball league using Out of the Park Baseball, and we are all busy people, so we do a lot of delegating.  I'm thinking the same thing here (if I find like-minded folk).

1 minute ago, Gradishar said:

I've only been to CB one time, and it was to participate in a WSOP event.  Had fun, but haven't been back since :)

Most of my Iowa experience involves I-80, haha.

Edited by Tumnus

A lot of us were in the predecessor games to Crowfall while in our 30s so that makes us old now...   many geezers in UDL(+ allies), W (+ allies) and Sugoi (+ allies), the three major testing guilds running currently as Chaos, Order, and Balance.  That some die off during development be sad (RIP Coolwaters).  

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

@Frykka - I've spent some time looking at these guilds, and my initial temptation is to join one.  My fear, however, is that this game is going to eventually be one or two giant guilds dominating the scene, so I'm trying to figure out how I feel about that :)  In Shadowbane, we ran a guild and subbed to one of the major powers on our server and really enjoyed it, so maybe there will be room to have a similar feel here.  I'm curious how viable running a small guild will be long-term, however.

My other concern is how much pay-to-win is going to be available, but that's a different topic for a different thread.  

2 minutes ago, Tumnus said:

@Frykka - I've spent some time looking at these guilds, and my initial temptation is to join one.  My fear, however, is that this game is going to eventually be one or two giant guilds dominating the scene, so I'm trying to figure out how I feel about that :)  In Shadowbane, we ran a guild and subbed to one of the major powers on our server and really enjoyed it, so maybe there will be room to have a similar feel here.  I'm curious how viable running a small guild will be long-term, however.

My other concern is how much pay-to-win is going to be available, but that's a different topic for a different thread.  

With multiple CWs up running various ruleset modules there will be a place for all sizes of guilds.   Small guilds will do well in 3-faction and 12-faction imo but will need to sub or ally in shadows (GvG) or Dregs (FFA).   I think subbing will be a functional option in the guild management mechanics, alliance in the shadows ruleset function could be a good thing too.

If you already have a tight nit group who works well together and has come from prev games, a small guild makes more sense...   forming a small guild may make some choices harder.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

1 hour ago, Gradishar said:

1 hour ago, Tumnus said:

I'm a Nebraskan myself.

I feel like my city is being invaded.. You can catch me at the gym on 108th and Maple. Actually heading there tonight.

What a small world all of us Crows live in. haha

Never rolled in a MMO with people who I can actually get a beer with. That would be a very interesting. War stories over a beer! haha

OS_Sig3.png

2 minutes ago, entityofsin said:

I feel like my city is being invaded.. You can catch me at the gym on 108th and Maple. Actually heading there tonight.

What a small world all of us Crows live in. haha

Never rolled in a MMO with people who I can actually get a beer with. That would be a very interesting. War stories over a beer! haha

If you are a Shadowbane vet...you'd know the name of HeRog (infamous board warrior and mouthpiece for the Covenant of Swords in beta and on Treachery). He also lives here in Peyton Manning's favorite city. 

2 hours ago, dreaden said:

knees in the breeze

But now I'm fat and sit at home.  However, the fact I used it means I must still identify with it somewhere deep inside.

Edited by Tumnus