Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dwarfurious

No Global Chat

Ok ok some people might think that sounds crazy. But global chat in an open world PvP game has always just.. bothered me. Plus it seems to take away a lot of adventure and risk. People always being fingertips away kind of ruins the immersion of exploring a world. My first MMORPG was a full loot/open world pvp game with some pretty dangerous areas and no global chat, no whispering either. If you go out, you are on your own, if you die then nobody is coming to get you.

Of course, this was before vent/teamspeak and such, so now a lot of people will be able to talk to allies all the time regardless of where they are. Still think it would aid in the experience.

If can't talk about your mother without the entire server hearing about my exploits with her what's the point?

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I'd say the carry of your voice/chat should be limited to your character and the environmental noise at the time, in a busy battlefield the din should make it hard to chat with people right next to you.

Special Archetypes or customizations should be made to allow players to project their voice further. But even more so, Battle Instruments should be designed to allow communications on a battlefield. Well it would be super cool, I know any try hard players are going to voice chat externally, but in a huge battle, it's still fairly proficient to have a signal system, it could even be macroed into the chat system so it would write out battle orders as their played, making them very recognizable and thematic.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

i'm not sure if i'm for or against this , I get the reasoning behind global chat being off due to *realism* , tho usually in games i kinda enjoy having the global chat. 

It makes it easier for new people to meet and team up. It also makes the game more lively in my oppinion. I guess it's all a matter of how you like to play your game but i still wanne feel i'm in an mmo and not a single player.

They can design a place, in game, for people to meet, and both make a social spot and have a place where peoples networking is actually welcome.

Pubs, Inns and Bars...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

It sounds neat in theory, but I don't think it will add much to gameplay. It will simply just force guilds/alliances to use 3rd party voice chat at all times.

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

Both global and chat and whispers just have to be there for easy access of communications. If I have 3 friends online, I don't want to alt tab to contact them, as I would have to. Creating these artificial communication barriers are a waste of time, as people will just circle around them with 3rd party programs. This means the restrictions themselves are merely of annoyance.

I wouldn't mind seeing chat limited to groups (party, guild, ect) or atleast have a ruleset without general or world chat. Too many times has a well organized raid been foiled by a noob running into the wall near by and spamming global about it.

If it's too much for the general game, that's fine. Just give us a hardcore server option.

Global/racial chat in DF was always good fun and filled with very "special" people, don't see why we'd wanna miss out on some good smack talking in between skirmishes.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Hearthstone is good example ....no chat , now people keep spamming WELL PLAYED , GOOD GAME etc and i guess its even more annoying.

Trolls will always find a way , so i cant see why we make our life harder.

Any idea if voice chat is going to be embedded into the game?

If so, we could stick to the basic:

Say: People directly around you can hear what you say or type

Shout: People in the same area/zone can hear/see

Whisper/Direct Call:Private chat between two people

Guild/Faction/Alliance Chat: as needed.

So no world chat, but perhaps a way to access forums from within the game ui.

So what does this add and or take away?

I believe the lack of a world chat may help not only increase immersian, but make it much easier for characters to roleplay.

And of course on the other end, we lose the world chat for banter or asking questions.

But if we are going to that extent, i see no reason not to just add world chat in and make it optional like all the other chat bars.

Edited by Silenciaco

I've always been a believer that functionality should trump immersion. If you start stripping features like global chat, whispers and other things (like that one post awhile back that didn't want a custard world or mini-map). You'll end up looking like ESO; and that game was total ass when I played it.

Edited by Helix