Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dwarfurious

No Global Chat

People who think turning off global chat is the same thing are sort of missing the point, and those arnt quite the same, at all. Some of you seem to have trouble imagining a world without global chat too. Kind of reminds me of similar "dungeon finder/instant travel/flying mount" immersion vs convenience debates. Should try a mmo w/o global chat if you can find one

People who think turning off global chat is the same thing are sort of missing the point, and those arnt quite the same, at all. Some of you seem to have trouble imagining a world without global chat too. Kind of reminds me of similar "dungeon finder/instant travel/flying mount" immersion vs convenience debates. Should try a mmo w/o global chat if you can find one

A lot of us have played one. It's mostly just of inconvenience, and I see no perks to it, really, I don't. 

Edited by nehemia

Ok ok some people might think that sounds crazy. But global chat in an open world PvP game has always just.. bothered me. Plus it seems to take away a lot of adventure and risk. People always being fingertips away kind of ruins the immersion of exploring a world. My first MMORPG was a full loot/open world pvp game with some pretty dangerous areas and no global chat, no whispering either. If you go out, you are on your own, if you die then nobody is coming to get you.

Of course, this was before vent/teamspeak and such, so now a lot of people will be able to talk to allies all the time regardless of where they are. Still think it would aid in the experience.

Not to play the devils advocate, but I actually like global chat a lot!  I play MMOs for the facet of being able to chat with people. I find that even though most of the game (at least in a leveling fashion), I go about it alone. However, there is nothing more thrilling than being out in the middle of no where, about to pull my hair out trying to figure something out, and reaching out to the masses to get a hint. If the game only took me 10 hours from start to finish, I don't mind riddling out all of the puzzles myself. If I am going to put 600 hours in, that is a completely different story. I also really like to be able to talk to my opponent. While most will minimize themselves down to the barbaric level, sometimes a spirited session of trash talk (while still being civil adults) can be quite entertaining. I am not for having different languages (fantasy languages that is) between opponents. 

Edited by Dynimix

LW_sig_concept2_zpsgdrsfl7n.jpg

The idea of no global chat is a great idea. Also regardless of how you feel about it, since there will be multiple worlds for campaigns, it's entirely likely that there will be a campaign with a focus on immersion. No need to play it if you don't like the idea. 

On the other hand the removal of global chat has a lot of perks:

- A use for cities and market places besides jumping in circles and vendors

- A use for pubs/inns besides rest bonuses

- Vitalization of scout classes/information gathering

Nothing like a surprise attack that gets ruined by some scrub screaming about it in global.

Imagine an inn that is controlled by a particular guild where they gather to discuss battle plans (voice or text area restricted).

Think about a scout that crests a hill to see an enemy army, immediately he turns and runs, but is spotted by the outriders of the army, a chase ensues and the scout is taken down, successfully preventing forewarning of the attack. 

Imagine a small party exploring a new land during the spring of a new campaign and they meet another group, and suddenly a choice is before them. Be friendly and tell them about some useful nodes you found nearby, or lead them to a dangerous area where an ambush can be set.

Granted these are all idealized, and there are a lot of things lost without global chat, but there are also a lot of interesting opportunities that cannot be had while it's around.

I'm on board.  Then again I'd also like no interactive in game map and a cartography skill to make local maps that don't mark your location(just show landmarks & terrain).  I can already imagine the local warlord's raiding force getting hopelessly lost on the way to subjugate a neighbor.

Edited by bilun

You have my vote for no world chat.

Another issue with world chat is you remove all regionalization of trade.  If somebody can ask over global trade what the prices are of certain items/resources in various parts of the world over global chat, then you've eliminated the ability to take advantage of unknown bargains and opportunities to buy low in one place and sell high in another.

Global chat is just a bad option for PVP/RVR games and games that are trying to push an emergent economy with regionalization.

The only people who don't like global are the ones who were griefed off of it.

Edited by checkyotrack

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

definitely support no global chat.

if there is only a chat that is hearable for those in sight,people and organizations of any scale will have to worry about information management.

in war,commanders will experience the problem of planning and organizing offensive and defensive movement on a large scale,if they have to base those decisions on not available,wrong or outdated information.

we would experience a major problem in warware,that is orders not reaching the subordinate in due time.

and information would become a business like this as well,with information brokers,messengers,spies, players who spread false informations to confuse the enemy or people and people who forge wrong documents.

Like this information would become actual power,sine a weaker nation,with good and efficient information management and a good working espionage branch,could easily win even against a much greater enemy,if their information management is crap.

Edited by kampfbock

A Global Chat can only strengthen the community. ;)  I don't see how open cross-communication is a detriment to your gaming experience. It's as though not personally seeing something happen yourself, causes it to cease to exist.

Oh, no. It will break the immersion! Won't someone think of the immersion?! /cracks open another mountain dew and ferociously inhales Cheetos as if they're sustaining your life force, in preparation for the upcoming battle at the mine. "Honey, do you need any more cheesy snacks?" "Mom, you're harshing on my immersion, man. OFC I want more snacks!"

Yelling at your mother? Seriously? You non-Global people disgust me.

Or4vDvn.png

I'd like there to be a Bazaar you go to for trading, where trade chat works.  But if you're not there it doesn't.

For maps, i'd like there to be a general map of the world, just with regions on it.  So you know what region is to the East, North, etc.

No minimaps would be a nice change.

You have my vote for no world chat.

Another issue with world chat is you remove all regionalization of trade.  If somebody can ask over global trade what the prices are of certain items/resources in various parts of the world over global chat, then you've eliminated the ability to take advantage of unknown bargains and opportunities to buy low in one place and sell high in another.

Global chat is just a bad option for PVP/RVR games and games that are trying to push an emergent economy with regionalization.

Actually, assuming quicktravel isn't a thing, knowing the prices elsewhere won't be detrimental to trade, it will encourage it. It creates reasons for people to travel, creating reasons for banditry and route protection.

I think there shouldn't be global chat. It will be more climatic and as another players said, it would be fun to buy item with low price and sell in another region with higher price. ;)

How about 'regional' chat for all factions?

Edited by Realen

Since each world will have different world maps that will change on reset, the world should totally have a fog.

The Dying Worlds do have fog of war.  That is already confirmed, check question #9 in the Campaign and Kingdom FAQ.

The Campaign map is hidden by fog of war. You are dropped (typically naked) into an unknown, deadly environment. This world is filled with the ruins of ancient castles, abandoned mines and haunted villages – which you have to explore to scavenge for weapons, tools and the resources to start building fortifications. -Fragment of Question #9, Campaign and Kingdom FAQ

@dwarfurious - Clearly a divisive topic, hopefully enough so to warrant a unique rule on one of the maps. FFA would be best candidate i still say. 

A great idea.  I wouldn't mind trying out a Campaign which removes the global chat option.  Although friends and guilds would be able to circumvent this handicap with third party communication, it still limits information ingame, unless of course some exploiters host a "Global Chat for Campaign A" website, which we cannot prevent.

I think Crowfall should definitely try out a "No Global Chat" Campaign, I'd like to see if an information dynamic would occur (Communication becoming more strategic).

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.