Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dwarfurious

No Global Chat

The only people who don't like global are the ones who were griefed off of it.

^ #Preach

Actually, assuming quicktravel isn't a thing, knowing the prices elsewhere won't be detrimental to trade, it will encourage it. It creates reasons for people to travel, creating reasons for banditry and route protection.

Is this going to be on EK or dying worlds?! Or both? 

:blink:

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

my reason for advocating limited chats isn't the immersion argument.

i actually am interested in this concept because it would afford information management at any given time,no mater what you plan to do,not just for individuals but even more so for communities of any kind.

information would become a weapon and shield,with the lack of a possibility to just get it wherever and whenever you want,without any delay.

it would also create a whole new business branch,with people who specialize in the acquiring and distributing of information,like spies,document forgers,information brokers and so on

Edited by kampfbock

^ #Preach

Is this going to be on EK or dying worlds?! Or both? 

:blink:

No clue. It's just an assumption I'm making based off of the knowledge that quick-travel options destroy open PvP, and make a resource control game trivial. It's nothing they've said yet, but it stands to reason with the game they seem to want, that non-interactive travel will be strongly restricted.

No clue. It's just an assumption I'm making based off of the knowledge that quick-travel options destroy open PvP, and make a resource control game trivial. It's nothing they've said yet, but it stands to reason with the game they seem to want, that non-interactive travel will be strongly restricted.

I would hope such features are in EK.  ^_^

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

I'm not against a chat window, just global chat in general.  First, removing it cripples gold farmers.  Second it allows players to congregate in central locations(typically a city)and evolves communities.  It makes no sense being able to whisper a stranger who you cant see or is several continents or worlds away.  Instead of Guild chat I would implement a pigeon mail system where you send delayed messages via birds such as a crow.  Or allow people to purchase globes with charges that can send messages to other peoples globes but would only be used for important messages to preserve those charges.  Or how about guild or faction flares of different colors that appear on the world map indicating a guild member is at that location.  Regardless, my point to this thread isnt to eliminate communication but to help shed light on a system that hasnt been looked at or evolved through a decade of the mmo spectra.

Global Chat def needs to be there// otherwise we'll all be stuck trading and communicating here on the forums... and be subject to much stricter moderation. No global would just help save the kiddies from embarrassment because there will always be someone there to make sure someone doesn't insult you.

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

It sounds neat in theory, but I don't think it will add much to gameplay. It will simply just force guilds/alliances to use 3rd party voice chat at all times.

This is so true! While the global chat 90% of the time is spammed with trading and dirt, it does make the game if not much, abit more social rather than if guilds/alliances have to use 3rd party voice, social aspect would be pretty much limited.

While i do not have a suggestion, perhaps there would be another way to encourage social interactions. Look at maple story, thats literally a single player game for the last god knows years.

The idea of no global chat is a great idea. Also regardless of how you feel about it, since there will be multiple worlds for campaigns, it's entirely likely that there will be a campaign with a focus on immersion. No need to play it if you don't like the idea. 

On the other hand the removal of global chat has a lot of perks:

- A use for cities and market places besides jumping in circles and vendors

- A use for pubs/inns besides rest bonuses

- Vitalization of scout classes/information gathering

Nothing like a surprise attack that gets ruined by some scrub screaming about it in global.

Imagine an inn that is controlled by a particular guild where they gather to discuss battle plans (voice or text area restricted).

Think about a scout that crests a hill to see an enemy army, immediately he turns and runs, but is spotted by the outriders of the army, a chase ensues and the scout is taken down, successfully preventing forewarning of the attack. 

Imagine a small party exploring a new land during the spring of a new campaign and they meet another group, and suddenly a choice is before them. Be friendly and tell them about some useful nodes you found nearby, or lead them to a dangerous area where an ambush can be set.

Granted these are all idealized, and there are a lot of things lost without global chat, but there are also a lot of interesting opportunities that cannot be had while it's around.

these points are all very well put. especially the scounting/intel point. a strategy game is only half as good, without scounting. 

I think having having no global chat would be a nice thing. Like others have said I think it would make strategy more interesting as well as encouraging people to gather at social/trade hubs to trade/recruit/find groups etc instead of having everyone yell into a global chat.

I also think it would benefit people who are into banditry/PKing since not having the first guy you rob and/or murder having the ability everyone in the custard world exactly where and by whom he get wrecked by the very instant he respawns can only be a good thing.

That all being said I would still want guild chat, whispers and probably faction chat (for the worlds where that's a thing) and I think people should have the option to set chat rules in whatever way they please in their own EKs (because why the hell not?).

However, seeing how split opinions seem to be on this I think the best idea would to just have different chat rules for different campaigns, as long as those who really want global chat can play campaigns that have that option and vice versa I think it'd be just dandy.