Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EK Trading/Social/RP Hub - Is it a reality for Small/Medium Guilds?

Ebonith

So I have seen a lot of guilds that are proposing that their EK corner of the world will be the trading hub of Crowfall. The reality is that there will be some big, elaborate EKs with no one in them. The only exception to this will be the 150+ ACTIVE member guilds that have their own corner of the world. But for the 20 member, 50 member, 10 member guilds, you will have lots of cool stuff with no one to be there to use it.

I think the "EK Trading Hub" can be a reality for the small/medium sized guilds, but it will require those guilds to put pride aside and work with multiple guilds to create something all of them can be proud of to keep the "vision" of their EK alive. This means designing a collaborative world and allotting parcels based on active members of each guild. 

What would this look like? Let's say we were to start with my guild. We have a Mountain Citadel, a Large Fortress, multiple Fort Lodges and multiple Guild Halls as our highlights. While we would love to name our kingdom Blackheart, give names to the different areas and tkae up all the space with our 80+ parcels--it is simply not that important. We would much rather share this EK with multiple guilds, have collaborative naming for the EK, the fiefs, etc. in order to create vibrant, living EK.

Our guild is certainly ready to put our pride aside and collaborate with others to create this concept. This can be especially appealing to guilds that may not have access to the Citadels, Large Forts, etc. This allows them to be a part of it as well. Thoughts? Interest?

BLACKHEART

A Crowfall Guild Allied with Corvus Citadel

People want easy, so there will be a few giant EKs where most people congregate to find what they need.  Maybe at times you might end up doing trades in smaller EKs for whatever reason but generally serious guilds are socializing on third party voice apps so as far as trading goes why not just go to the largest EKs with the largest populations that are more likely to have someone that has what you need or wants what you have.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Good point. Go to the larger EKs, but what EKs will be poised to be "large"? Maybe a larger guild or maybe a collaboration of small to medium guilds? The purpose of the post is to check thoughts and interest from smaller guilds that want to make that "large" EK.

Edited by Ebonith
Incorrect verbiage

BLACKHEART

A Crowfall Guild Allied with Corvus Citadel

2 minutes ago, Ebonith said:

Good point. Go to the larger EKs, but what EKs will be poised to be "big"? Maybe a larger guild or maybe a collaboration of small to medium guilds? The purpose of the post is to check thoughts and interest from smaller guilds that want to make that "big" EK.

If ACE had infinite resources you could see small to medium guilds working together to succeed in creating a competitive "big" EK.  The reality of it is is that crowfall is currently a number dependent game, which means the guilds that will be getting most of the best stuff will rely on numbers, and they will funnel that back out to the EKs and dictate where all of the most desirable stuff ends up.

If ACE can come up with lots of rulesets and develop a playerbase large enough to keep the machine going then sure they could figure out ways for small and medium guilds to compete with larger guilds, but they have yet to show much of anything that doesn't favor large zerg type guilds.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

50 minutes ago, Ebonith said:

So I have seen a lot of guilds that are proposing that their EK corner of the world will be the trading hub of Crowfall. The reality is that there will be some big, elaborate EKs with no one in them. The only exception to this will be the 150+ ACTIVE member guilds that have their own corner of the world. But for the 20 member, 50 member, 10 member guilds, you will have lots of cool stuff with no one to be there to use it.

I would think people would trade away or sell their parcels they can't use.

• 1 month later...

In my mind there will be a lot of unloved EKs, but that is by design because EKs will be easy to make (to my knowledge). All because EKs exist does not mean the playerbase will flock to random EKs. In general the EKs that most people use will be the ones the community chooses to use. Yeah there will be guild run EKs but it is possible that an alliance of merchants or a group of PvPers want a special map dedicated to something particular. 

EKs seem niche in this regard, because the main game will be happening out in the campaigns. EKs are more akin to player housing, where the player can customize them but they are usually the person(s) that visits it. The boon of EKs is that they hold a lot of customization and that is already a step up from many "player housing" type systems in MMOs. 

Perhaps the Devs could have a rotating recommendation page that recommends EKs that have decent activity to provide incentive to visit those middle pop EKs. This may in theory provide some support to the smaller guilds/groups that want to have more active community EKs.

Game Designer | KanashiGD.com | @KanashiGD

Elf of Hy'shen Avari

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 5:32 PM, Ebonith said:

I think the "EK Trading Hub" can be a reality for the small/medium sized guilds, but it will require those guilds to put pride aside and work with multiple guilds to create something all of them can be proud of to keep the "vision" of their EK alive. This means designing a collaborative world and allotting parcels based on active members of each guild. 

What would this look like? Let's say we were to start with my guild. We have a Mountain Citadel, a Large Fortress, multiple Fort Lodges and multiple Guild Halls as our highlights. While we would love to name our kingdom Blackheart, give names to the different areas and tkae up all the space with our 80+ parcels--it is simply not that important. We would much rather share this EK with multiple guilds, have collaborative naming for the EK, the fiefs, etc. in order to create vibrant, living EK.

Our guild is certainly ready to put our pride aside and collaborate with others to create this concept. This can be especially appealing to guilds that may not have access to the Citadels, Large Forts, etc. This allows them to be a part of it as well. Thoughts? Interest?

This thread is quite old, but still active. So i will share/repeat some of my opinions.

The whole "EK Trading Hub" thing is mostly a dream. Dreams are not bad in general. They can lead us to the extraordinary. Or they can mislead us, when based on false assumptions and our deepes (sometimes maybe even not consciously known) desires.

Let me make this very clear: To fill something like a Mountain Citadel, to make it a real trading hub, to make it a prospering place, feeling alive and active ... will need much more than just a handfull of guilds. And i am pretty confident that people still underestimate how much it would take to do so, though i often enough tried to explain it.
In Crowfall we do have the extraordinary situation that there are a lot more strongholds than we actually need. Especially because their real value (and price) was highly underestimated in the early days.

A Fort is more than enough to serve a normal guild. A Keep is for a large guild or a cooperation of small guilds. A city is for a cooperation of large guilds. A capitol is for a cooperation of some large and several small guilds. And a province parcel (like the citadel or palace) is for an imperium - a large cooperation of large guilds, small guilds and single players. Sure, a small number of players will probably be able to maintain it somehow. And of course it will look great. Who doesn't want to own a castle for himself except of the fiercest warriors?

One can do it. Some can do it. If you ask me what would be best for a cooperation of some guilds, i would tell you to start with a small castle and maybe - after it seemed to work - go on to a capitol. But a province is much to big. Those are really for the (initially) very few real trading hubs. 

Not saying that people who own a citadel shouldn't try it. It's ok. Just do it. The problem is the expectations. Due to the rewarding of significant early development backers, there will be citadels and palaces in the game right from the start. But if they are not really feeling alive, people won't like it. And if people won't like it, they will be disappointed. And the disappointment will have a name - the name of those who provide it.

So what i am saying is: Do it ... but be very careful. If you try to provide a hub, take the number of people you have in your back and divide it at least (depending on the rank) by 2 to 4. Then look for the stronghold that carries this number as support number. A small castle has a suport number of 60. You need 120 active citizens to get it going. A Citadel has a support number of 120, you need 360 active citizens to run it. Plus 1 to 2 times the number of regular visitors and customers.

And these numbers doesn't refer to guild sizes. I am speaking about active citizens. We all know that the larger the guild the less people are "really" active. In most cases a 150 member guild will have less then 50 really active people, while the others would be more some kind of visitors, while in a 20 member guild at least 15 should be active enough.

So all i say is: Don't underestimate the scope of the strongholds and the needed number of active players and know exactely what you are doing when dealing with them. I think you are on a pretty good way and you look at it much more realistic than most of us ... but i think even you are still understimating the the whole scope and i hope you will find the best way.

And of course, all the best for your EK. Get it running, we need it. ;)