Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where Others Have Fallen Short

Many of us are here because other MMOs just haven't hit the spot.

So my question is why? What do you hate about MMOs that you keep seeing over and over.

Here is my list of top ten things I have hated in MMO gaming ( in no order).

Pay-to-win: while I don't have an issue with micro transactions, i refer they be skins, not stats.
Gear based: When somebody is able to obtain gear that is stupid powerful, I think it really deters new players

Time required to compete: some games require that you play 6-10 hours a day if you want to compete with the best, this often goes back to the gear based complaint

Button mashers: I hate it when i am more worried about hitting 5 keys a second than my strategy. I want something that tests my mind, not my dexterity

The grind: I hate collecting pelts, I hate leveling for a month, I hate having to farm for days on end to afford my next best piece of gear

Cookie cutters: The linear tree characters , such that basically every character of the same class is the exact same in powers, looks, gear, etc

Stagnation:  I imagine an unwinnable game is what causes it,  but I hate when things have just stopped happening in game. I am not saying the game should reset, I am saying that characters should always have a reason to change what is going on.

Zergs:  In Shadowbane words, sub-to-win... bring more bros, because that is what gets you what you want.

Paths:  I have played a few games as of late that have story lines, and a path you are going to follow, no matter how much you like it. I want to be able to go where I want, do what I want, Kill who i want, etc.

Multiboxing: It just lends to people being too likely to cheat if they can run multiple clients... macros, keyclones, bots... I think they all hurt the game in the long run.

So what about you what are you top 5-10 most hated things in MMOs you have played? Feel free to repeat, I would love to see if there is a pattern ( people who hate PvE also hate the reward system or whatever). Dont feel like you have to use as much detail as me, I just get nerdy about this sort of discussion.

k653rIm.png

Many of us are here because other MMOs just haven't hit the spot.

So my question is why? What do you hate about MMOs that you keep seeing over and over.

Here is my list of top ten things I have hated in MMO gaming ( in no order).

Pay-to-win: while I don't have an issue with micro transactions, i refer they be skins, not stats.

Gear based: When somebody is able to obtain gear that is stupid powerful, I think it really deters new players

Time required to compete: some games require that you play 6-10 hours a day if you want to compete with the best, this often goes back to the gear based complaint

Button mashers: I hate it when i am more worried about hitting 5 keys a second than my strategy. I want something that tests my mind, not my dexterity

The grind: I hate collecting pelts, I hate leveling for a month, I hate having to farm for days on end to afford my next best piece of gear

Cookie cutters: The linear tree characters , such that basically every character of the same class is the exact same in powers, looks, gear, etc

Stagnation:  I imagine an unwinnable game is what causes it,  but I hate when things have just stopped happening in game. I am not saying the game should reset, I am saying that characters should always have a reason to change what is going on.

Zergs:  In Shadowbane words, sub-to-win... bring more bros, because that is what gets you what you want.

Paths:  I have played a few games as of late that have story lines, and a path you are going to follow, no matter how much you like it. I want to be able to go where I want, do what I want, Kill who i want, etc.

Multiboxing: It just lends to people being too likely to cheat if they can run multiple clients... macros, keyclones, bots... I think they all hurt the game in the long run.

So what about you what are you top 5-10 most hated things in MMOs you have played? Feel free to repeat, I would love to see if there is a pattern ( people who hate PvE also hate the reward system or whatever). Dont feel like you have to use as much detail as me, I just get nerdy about this sort of discussion.

^ rinse and repeat. Yep pretty much my sentiments too. I'm just tired of the same old same old.

288mqgz.png

I keep trying to think about what to add to this, but you pretty much covered all the bases.  The question would be, how to take all of those things away, and what would you be left with to build on.  One can only hope there are more innovators like ACE trying to answer the problems that plague the MMO market.