Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nehemia

Word Filters, Really?

That is laughable coming from you.

What's laughable? That you have to flaunt military service and alleged risking your life in a discussion about profanity filters?

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Oh boy! Wth has serving in the military got to do with a gaming forum?! 

I guess swearing might be an occupational hazard but I've been in the officers lounge in one of our subs and if anyone swore they had to ring the bell and shout the bar. :) If we could implement that here I'm in!

288mqgz.png

What's laughable? That you have to flaunt military service and alleged risking your life in a discussion about profanity filters?

Oh boy! Wth has serving in the military got to do with a gaming forum?! 

I guess swearing might be an occupational hazard but I've been in the officers lounge in one of our subs and if anyone swore they had to ring the bell and shout the bar. :) If we could implement that here I'm in!

Despair makes up awesome arguments. And I'm in with the bell & bar thing

What is laughable is your complete failure of reading comprehension.

Our public schools have failed, clearly.

Since you need to be held by the hand:

An accusation was made that those who curse are not "acting adult".  I pointed out, by using an example, (you do know what an "example" is, right?), that some people, as an example, are in the military, and they, as adults, curse up a storm, and that those who have that haughty attitude of, "you aren't acting adult if you curse", have the dumbest argument I've ever heard.  If a person in the military, who is out there fighting for this country, as an example, (should I put that in there one more time?) curse up a storm, then the argument, 'you aren't acting like an adult" is nothing but b.s. rhetoric.

Listen, you may be very impressed with yourself, but not all of us are impressed with you.  So, you keep on being your bad self, with your snarky posts, and smart comments...I can't wait to annihilate you in game.

Edited by cheyenne wolfshadow

What's rhetoric is your "defending this country" B.S.

I know you have a level self importance but absolutely no one gives a crap that you may have once wore a uniform and it has no bearing in this discussion other than to wave your e-peen.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

can we just agree that choice of vocabulary used is no measure of adulthood?

plenty of immature children possess an extensive vocabulary, and plenty of septuagenarians cuss with passion and regularity...

just doesn't matter, imo

what matters are the "rules of the game" so to speak...

and they are as we have them, as passed down by the Powers that Be and implemented via their Will by word filters, or their Agents...you know...us Mods...

if that ever changes, bet that i'll be swift in letting folks know....if not, i'll continue to enforce the Rules

so, if in doubt, check the RoC page....or feel free to shoot a PM, the Mods around here are friendly and believe it or not, like helping much more than handing out "warnings"

things are evolving around here swiftly, and it's just getting started....we are going from disparate hordes of insanely differing "cultures", and the growing pains have indeed been just that...pains...into something new, the Crowfall Community

but i think we are all heading in a good direction, towards a goal that drew us here in the first place...

speak your mind, enjoy SpeculationFall...(i know, kind of lame...gimme some time here, i'll come up with something)... the countdown is ticking away and soon we will all know a LOT more and some of the tension will drain....to be replaced by OTHER tensions...

in light of everything, being so specific about something as trivial as a handful of words on the Forums feels just a bit ....petty...

just my personal Opinion here...your mileage may vary...

Edited by Doc Gonzo

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

What is laughable is your complete failure of reading comprehension.

Our public schools have failed, clearly.

Since you need to be held by the hand:

An accusation was made that those who curse are not "acting adult".  I pointed out, by using an example, (you do know what an "example" is, right?), that some people, as an example, are in the military, and they, as adults, curse up a storm, and that those who have that haughty attitude of, "you aren't acting adult if you curse", have the dumbest argument I've ever heard.  If a person in the military, who is out there fighting for this country, as an example, (should I put that in there one more time?) curse up a storm, then the argument, 'you aren't acting like an adult" is nothing but b.s. rhetoric.

Listen, you may be very impressed with yourself, but not all of us are impressed with you.  So, you keep on being your bad self, with your snarky posts, and smart comments...I can't wait to annihilate you in game.

The premise of your argument relies on the assumed fact that those in the military are a standard for being an adult. The percentage of adults that have served is quite minuscule compared to those who have not. Ergo, not an accurate representation of adult behavior. This inherent fact makes your whole argument (and half of this forum topic) irrelevant.  

Hey, sometimes I can get in a bad mood and be pretty toxic, so take it from someone who's been guilty of this from time to time... you are investing far too much negative energy into this, you're not convincing anyone, and the volume of your insults and nastiness is only going to further entrench others in their position against you, or at least prevent them from taking you seriously.

I think Doc was the voice of reason, here.  Use of foul language doesn't define your adulthood.  Being able to follow the rules of a place, and to respect another person's wishes in their own house (ACE's house being these forums), does.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I think Doc was the voice of reason, here.

yep..you typed it...

i can't be the only person that finds it incredible

that being said...Cheyenne is being very mild, and if you think what's been posted is any kind of "insults and nastiness" then you might want to stay away form the SB sub-forum and any future in game related "political" Threads in the future

or not...but allow me to assure you, nothing in this Thread even approaches "nasty" by SB standards....and Cheyenne doesn't come from that "culture"

just an observation by yer olde Doc, who IS well known for being insulting and nasty on occasion....well, in my previous "life"

now, i'm a model of sunshine and patience...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

yep..you typed it...

i can't be the only person that finds it incredible

that being said...Cheyenne is being very mild, and if you think what's been posted is any kind of "insults and nastiness" then you might want to stay away form the SB sub-forum and any future in game related "political" Threads in the future

or not...but allow me to assure you, nothing in this Thread even approaches "nasty" by SB standards....and Cheyenne doesn't come from that "culture"

just an observation by yer olde Doc, who IS well known for being insulting and nasty on occasion....well, in my previous "life"

now, i'm a model of sunshine and patience...

Why Doc, Ive never seen you type a nasty word in your life.

X6RBqg7.gif

I honestly don't know what Docs saying half the time. I just always assume he's being censored and filtered.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Curse words are not usually curses, nor are they truly swearing (making oaths).

They are in our English-speaking society, emotional punctuation.

Unfortunately, they offend others simply by being used. And, as Doc Gonzo clearly pointed out, they're banned on these forums.

So, in the spirit of this thread, I propose we consider repurposing the 22 emoticons (smilie faces) to substitute for those powerful yet offensive words.

To make this fun, and more fair, we shall take turns re-assigning meaning to one forum poster each. If you post a second substitution it doesn't count, but someone else may use your suggestion as his or her own. And moderators may arbitrate disputes, in case someone's suggestion is even more lame than this post (assuming someone else has a better suggested use for the same emoticon). Since no one has suggested substitution yet, I'll start.

:ph34r:  shall henceforth be known as unpleasant person, hooligan or bottom, since it looks like the smilie is looking out of the inside of one, and it describes me pretty well. All those words had the same 3 letter root word before the filter.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)