Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nehemia

Word Filters, Really?

Free speech does not mean freedom from repercussions.  Nor does it mean that others are obliged to listen in order to prove their maturity level.

If you spew hate then I don't listen to you - irl or on boards or in the game.  I don't consider that good or bad - it's simply how I choose to spend my time.

If you want to have a conversation about ideas then I'm fine with debating.  But if your debate style is more about insulting others than actually discussing ideas then I'm not likely to stick around.  Perhaps that makes me immature but it also makes me someone that does not waste my time.

In an ideal world with truly mature human beings yes it would mean freedom from repercussions.  If words can elicit such an emotionally unintelligent response from someone they are more at fault than any words should have ever been.  If they are mature enough to hold themselves accountable that is. 

Others aren't obliged to listen in order to prove their maturity level, but in the bigger picture that just makes them immature?  You don't have to prove anything to anybody but that doesn't mean that you magically should pretend to be whatever you want. 

If someone "spews hate" and you don't listen to them that is your right.  The moment you preach about a "holier than thou" mentality in regards to it, it has then become a matter of ego.  A mature person takes what they are presented with and they either utilize it or discard it without making a huge fuss about it either way. 

Well in your opinion you may think you are saving time with your approach, to another you may just be living with blinders on.  If you feel insulted by how someone debates and it offends you somehow, again that is a matter of ego, a mature person does not need to feel insulted or offended, they simply are indifferent and move on. 

We live in an age of pretentiousness, people think every aspect of their lives is important and everyone should listen to their opinions.  When you start becoming pretentious you also become very selfish in your thought patterns.  These thought patterns will dictate the way you behave in many facets of your life. 

The same type of person who willfully turns on their blinders when their sensibilities are scraped against to not "waste their time" because they think their time is oh so important because they are pretentious, is the same type of person that will generally ignore much bigger problems, controversy, confrontation in the world because they've already fallen into a pattern where all that matters to them are things that will benefit them.  So while you believe you are avoiding "wasting your time" what you're really doing is just reaffirming behavioral patterns that tell me your time may not have much substance anyway.

This is all just my opinion of course and it's rare for people to step outside of their own ego for long enough to get some significant perspective on the world.

I'd suggest you go pick up some Eckhart Tolle books and learn about how your ego controls the way you behave every waking moment.  Then perhaps you may change your perspective on what your time really means. 

I didn't say it automatically gave me respect...where did you read that?  Did you just make that up?

What I said was, if I'm putting my life on the line for this country, and I cuss, that doesn't make me "not acting like an adult".  Amazing what they teach in schools these days.

I dunno man. 

As society tumbles further and further down the rabbit hole of the security state, society is loosening it's idea of what freedom is.    So instead of feeling upset that our civil liberties are being eroded in the name of security, we use our "right" to use profane language as a self deluding mask, proclaiming that we're free.

*shrugs*          just the ramblings of a tired, old confessor..  move along..

Edited by Kirel

You southerners are awfully backwards about insulting people! lol, if I hadn't read it here I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on if I was being insulted like that.

That's exactly the point ;)

Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.

In an ideal world with truly mature human beings yes it would mean freedom from repercussions.  If words can elicit such an emotionally unintelligent response from someone they are more at fault than any words should have ever been.  If they are mature enough to hold themselves accountable that is. 

Others aren't obliged to listen in order to prove their maturity level, but in the bigger picture that just makes them immature?  You don't have to prove anything to anybody but that doesn't mean that you magically should pretend to be whatever you want. 

If someone "spews hate" and you don't listen to them that is your right.  The moment you preach about a "holier than thou" mentality in regards to it, it has then become a matter of ego.  A mature person takes what they are presented with and they either utilize it or discard it without making a huge fuss about it either way. 

Well in your opinion you may think you are saving time with your approach, to another you may just be living with blinders on.  If you feel insulted by how someone debates and it offends you somehow, again that is a matter of ego, a mature person does not need to feel insulted or offended, they simply are indifferent and move on. 

We live in an age of pretentiousness, people think every aspect of their lives is important and everyone should listen to their opinions.  When you start becoming pretentious you also become very selfish in your thought patterns.  These thought patterns will dictate the way you behave in many facets of your life. 

The same type of person who willfully turns on their blinders when their sensibilities are scraped against to not "waste their time" because they think their time is oh so important because they are pretentious, is the same type of person that will generally ignore much bigger problems, controversy, confrontation in the world because they've already fallen into a pattern where all that matters to them are things that will benefit them.  So while you believe you are avoiding "wasting your time" what you're really doing is just reaffirming behavioral patterns that tell me your time may not have much substance anyway.

This is all just my opinion of course and it's rare for people to step outside of their own ego for long enough to get some significant perspective on the world.

I'd suggest you go pick up some Eckhart Tolle books and learn about how your ego controls the way you behave every waking moment.  Then perhaps you may change your perspective on what your time really means. 

I didn't read any of it, because I didn't had to. It is all sheenposting. Thank you for saving me time reading this Sheen.

Filtering swearing on forums always confuses me. If the game is rated 15+ then it makes no sense to have the forums moderated as if the game were PG. Similarly if it's rated PG, why is it merely filtered instead of being on the list of bannable offences?

That being said it's a thing that doesn't really bother me. Swearing at people on forums would usually fall under harassment which is bannable and I don't need to swear for emphasis because there are plenty of other words in the dictionary to use. If it's not filtered I'll swear and if it is then I'll just use a different word. It'd be nice to have a list of what the word filters are in the CoC though. I like to know when the word I type will come out in the post and when it will come out as something about socks.

This is surprising? Really? All gaming companies that have forums have profanity filters. Non issue IMO.

True. But do they all filter bears who care to gonzo and t-r-o-l-l to player?

Censors make it difficult to express your point well. For instance there have been times that I wanted to liken the champion class to a cave t-r-o-l-l from Lord of the Rings in that they will likely be big, slow, and able to dish/take a ton of damage. But I can't do that because t-r-o-l-l is censored.

Some of the most ridiculous censors I have seen since Runescape, but Runescape didn't ever use the tag-line "Play to Crush".

Please just give us a standard profanity filter. Not a "That word might hurt someone's feelings!" filter.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)