Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nehemia

Word Filters, Really?

Nahhhhh.

Those sites already exist though.  Go, be free!  Like parrots and sailors to curse on the high seas of the internet!

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

well, we have the Rules of Conduct here - http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/338-forum-code-of-conduct/

this represents what the Crowfall Team wants for their Forums, and after all it is their "house" that all of us Posters are "guests" in....yes?

so you go with the "good manners" of House rules when you want to visit...

as near as i can tell, the RoC is an honest attempt to thread that fine line between maximizing freedom of expression and herding digital sabre tooth cats

hence, why i personally took up the voluntary task of "referee" around here....i LIKE those cats...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

If you want a truly unmoderated place to chat about anything with people interested in crowfall as well you should try #crowfall on irc.quakenet.org

Right now it's mostly setup for european times though as we don't have a lot of yanks in there yet. 

It would be nice to get some confirmation from ArtCraft on whether or not they plan to make a filter-optional board for political discussion.

The filter makes sense in the main forums, but in off-topic and guild boards they're unnecessary and intrusive and should have a disable option.

We'll find out about the filter being optional sometime. We can ask Tully after the weekend.

In any case, like the Doc already said, the truth of the matter is that these aren't really public forums. These are a privately owned estate, and anyone who posts here and chooses to participate needs to do so according to the requirements of the owners. Now, the moderation has relaxed quite a bit in the past couple of weeks, since most of us are agreeable adults who know that some words and even arguments or criticism aren't truly harmful. But with that said, the owners have specified that even if some of them are actually worse in person regarding spewing out indecencies that make sailors blush (and I include myself there quite honestly), they do not wish to see certain words here, then that is what must be done. None of the Moderators have any access to the board settings, so any changes done to them have been done by ACE.

Personally, I don't disagree with the filter being an optional setting, as long as we are able to create filters for all of the offensive words, and people don't try to outsmart (read: be stupid about) the system by trying to circumvent it. Because when people try to do that, then it forces us to waste our time handing out Warnings and sending PMs, and then in turn will make the owners think that this isn't really needed anyway.

It is my duty to cleanse this land of the unworthy. It is my goal to make this world burn. Your tainted flesh shall kindle the flames.

smf_banner_copy4_copy.jpg

I'm fine with the filters except for that horrific switch of the word caress for the word r.a.p.e.  It's fine if you're in PvP mode in the conversation but I used it in the equality thread and it was soooooo creepy.

I'm fine with the filters except for that horrific switch of the word caress for the word r.a.p.e.  It's fine if you're in PvP mode in the conversation but I used it in the equality thread and it was soooooo creepy.

I'm glad you found it creepy, quite honestly. That word means something horrible to a lot of people out there, and shouldn't be tossed around to describe some pathetic actions in a video game. (Not directed at you). No one should expect it to be acceptable to use at all. Stick with the good ol' pwn. 

As far as trying to have a legitimate conversation regarding that subject... I don't see this as the place to do so. I haven't read your post, and I will assume you didn't say anything bad.

But overall, I think the intent to make anyone using that word to look silly is overall, pretty funny.

Edited to clarify some things.

Edited by Conspiracy Theorist

It is my duty to cleanse this land of the unworthy. It is my goal to make this world burn. Your tainted flesh shall kindle the flames.

We'll find out about the filter being optional sometime. We can ask Tully after the weekend.

In any case, like the Doc already said, the truth of the matter is that these aren't really public forums. These are a privately owned estate, and anyone who posts here and chooses to participate needs to do so according to the requirements of the owners. Now, the moderation has relaxed quite a bit in the past couple of weeks, since most of us are agreeable adults who know that some words and even arguments or criticism aren't truly harmful. But with that said, the owners have specified that even if some of them are actually worse in person regarding spewing out indecencies that make sailors blush (and I include myself there quite honestly), they do not wish to see certain words here, then that is what must be done. None of the Moderators have any access to the board settings, so any changes done to them have been done by ACE.

Sure, they have a right to do that, but then other people have a right to make an alternative forum and to not post on here. And after the announcement, if they don't provide some flexibility in certain boards, alternative places are going to pop up and any concerns they have about harassment or abuse or whatever will become worse than they would've been otherwise.

Sure, they have a right to do that, but then other people have a right to make an alternative forum and to not post on here. And after the announcement, if they don't provide some flexibility in certain boards, alternative places are going to pop up and any concerns they have about harassment or abuse or whatever will become worse than they would've been otherwise.

I will humbly agree with your first sentence and absolutely disagree with you on the second sentence. What happens in other private boards is of no concern to ACE. If people complain about harassment because they went to someone's private boards, not owned nor administered by ACE, why would that make anything worse and how is that at all ACE's responsibility?

From personal experience: totally unfiltered and unmodded boards have a lifespan of about 2 weeks. After the novelty wears off, there is nothing to do there and any discussions are buried by a select few who enjoy tossing out personal abuse towards others. Anyone with a desire to truly be part of a large and broad community understands this.

Plus, the age range to play this game without a doubt will encompass the teens. Any responsible company will do its best to not be an accessory to exposing children to abusive language.

You may disagree with that, but the bottom line is that the guys who are making the perfect game for us, have the knowledge and professional experience to understand what they want in their community. If they say they don't want cursing in the forums, then there will be no cursing in the forums, and that's that. You may have a personal opinion about it, and disagree with it. That is your prerogative.

I will humbly agree with your first sentence and absolutely disagree with you on the second sentence. What happens in other private boards is of no concern to ACE. If people complain about harassment because they went to someone's private boards, not owned nor administered by ACE, why would that make anything worse and how is that at all ACE's responsibility?

That's fair, and I agree. Any alternative board would be totally optional, so obviously anyone who doesn't care for that kind of discussion will simply avoid it. If bad things were to happen there it wouldn't be ACE's responsibility at all. However, its existence would definitely be predicated on the disagreement with overly censored discussion here. When a parent is too restricting, their children will rebel much more than they would with light restrictions.

From personal experience: totally unfiltered and unmodded boards have a lifespan of about 2 weeks. After the novelty wears off, there is nothing to do there and any discussions are buried by a select few who enjoy tossing out personal abuse towards others. Anyone with a desire to truly be part of a large and broad community understands this.

Perhaps you and I simply play different sorts of games and hang around in different communities, but that has not been my experience at all. 

Plus, the age range to play this game without a doubt will encompass the teens. Any responsible company will do its best to not be an accessory to exposing children to abusive language.

Sure there will be teens, that's why you keep the filter on by default. But I would guess the majority of players will be over 18, and they should have the option to turn the filter off if they choose to do so; at least in certain boards. They could even make specific "18+ ONLY" boards.

You may disagree with that, but the bottom line is that the guys who are making the perfect game for us, have the knowledge and professional experience to understand what they want in their community. If they say they don't want cursing in the forums, then there will be no cursing in the forums, and that's that. You may have a personal opinion about it, and disagree with it. That is your prerogative.

This community is not homogeneous at all. I can guarantee the vast majority of SB, DF, and EVE players here want uncensored discussion. While this community very likely will not end up being a majority SB/DF/EVE players in the future, right now they probably make up around 50% of active posters based on polls. And in the future, assuming the current SB/DF/EVE players like the game and stick around, they will still likely make up a sizeable portion of the community even if they are not the majority.

Second, meaningless remarks like "if they want this then that is that, you can disagree if you like" contribute absolutely nothing to any policy discussion. That is only stating the obvious while offering nothing new and no room for legitimate debate. The entire point is to show those in charge that there are more than a few players who disagree and would like some leeway, even if the filter is on by default or on for most boards.

Edited by Zarithas

I just like how swearing has become "being an adult."  I mean I swear as well but I don't think it's a necessity for communication on the boards.  Nor do I find it demeaning or preventing me from being an adult.  If the devs want a clean (ish cause there are still some words that aren't filtered) board I don't see the harm in it.  And it forces people to be more creative in their attempts to take jabs at lack of proper gaming skills or what have you.

At least we're not trying to communicate using Wingdings or something equally as incomprehensible.  Though granted for some posters it would be an improvement.

I just like how swearing has become "being an adult."  I mean I swear as well but I don't think it's a necessity for communication on the boards.  Nor do I find it demeaning or preventing me from being an adult.  If the devs want a clean (ish cause there are still some words that aren't filtered) board I don't see the harm in it.  And it forces people to be more creative in their attempts to take jabs at lack of proper gaming skills or what have you.

Profanity has myriad uses beyond insults or criticism.