Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nehemia

Word Filters, Really?

Nope, it isn't time for an uncensored forum. Unless, of course, you want a dead forum. There's still too much of an undercurrent of contempt and disdain, left over from the unpleasantry of the first two weeks the forums were open. 

IMO, once the game goes to beta, the forums will turn into a pit of vipers again. 

Sorry, I know my position belies the fact that I think most people are fundamentally unkind and lacking in empathy. Hindsight is 20/20.

On a humorous note, the filter vocabulary could become something of a community game. I think we should build a glossary of replacement words and compete to see who can make the most elaborate profane sentences. Likes per post declare the running winner. 

Edited by iridianshadowweaver

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

These forums were never a "viper" pit and have always been remarkably tame other than the run away moderator.

Profanity has never been an issue and overall toxicity has not been either. But for the Crowfall political game to be interesting the boards have to be interesting.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

These forums were never a "viper" pit and have always been remarkably tame other than the run away moderator.

Profanity has never been an issue and overall toxicity has not been either. But for the Crowfall political game to be interesting the boards have to be interesting.

As understandable as that is, how does swearing effect political debates? I mean, people can have a hardcore discussion without having to swear.

7lXqKFL.gif

As understandable as that is, how does swearing effect political debates? I mean, people can have a hardcore discussion without having to swear.

I'm not defending swearing or promoting it. I was responding to the notion that the boards were a "pit of vipers".

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

If people are so upset about the abundance of profanity (I honestly didn't see much before the filters), I can't wait till they get busted up in game. The tears will flow.

Here's a picture of a cat:

zjEhAlg.gif

Now think happy thoughts.

Edited by Helix

Profanity has always been filtered except now its not by asteriks.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Profanity has always been filtered except now its not by asteriks.

Not true, one of the first posts by I believe it was JTodd included a swear word :)

I was all excited after that post  too, I was like, alright I can finally speak as I normally do here .... didn't last long though :(

Edited by sarin

Not true, one of the first posts by I believe it was JTodd included a swear word :)

I was all excited after that post  too, I was like, alright I can finally speak as I normally do here .... didn't last long though :(

Some more obscure words are unfiltered. Like....asshat.

SWrkfdj.jpg

argh...

this is still a thing?

yes....I agree that it's nice when you can choose the exact word or phrase you want to say just what you want just the way you want.....

go write some poetry....or a book....or a blog....or start up your own forum

or whatever. ...but then and there YOU will be in charge and can set the rules

here....on these boards.....your Voices are heard...cuz somebody reads most everything. ..

but the Rules are what they are....right there in the RoC....

folks who know or have read my mad keyboard peckings over the years are fully aware that I have long used an expanded vocabulary and a dash of creativity to be even MORE outrageous in some statements than would have ever been possible using plain old cuss words

so please do spare me the whole "too restrictive" spiel....this bunch is not only pretty relaxed about most things....they are open enough to make some ancient under the bridge dweller like ME a Mod, ffs.....

this is all my own opinion and has nothing to do with my volunteer position...I've been on both sides of this argument and it all comes down to a simple concept....that being House Rules......

I honestly hope that helps

Edited by Doc Gonzo

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

The other thing many of you may not be aware is that this debate already took place. Asterisks substitution was the solution. Word replacements was just something that was thought as hilarious by someone at ACE. Like I said before, personally, I don't mind if there is a toggle. The other debate was how strict should the mods be, and you probably won't believe me, but the more lenient side won. So meh, give me a long diatribe about why you disagree and this is cataclysmic event if it makes you feel better. You can also call it debate. Me? I don't have much else to say on the matter. To me, again on a personal level, this is a childish complaint, and a waste of effort to "debate".

It is my duty to cleanse this land of the unworthy. It is my goal to make this world burn. Your tainted flesh shall kindle the flames.

smf_banner_copy4_copy.jpg

Keyword is good. But at this time this is as fun as arguing that Crowfall shouldn't be a PVP game. I'm hungry. I need a Snickers.

Edited by Conspiracy Theorist

It is my duty to cleanse this land of the unworthy. It is my goal to make this world burn. Your tainted flesh shall kindle the flames.

The debate about profanity is more media subversion tactics to take your mind off the real issue-the real issue being my continued lack of green name.

SWrkfdj.jpg

The other thing many of you may not be aware is that this debate already took place. Asterisks substitution was the solution. Word replacements was just something that was thought as hilarious by someone at ACE. Like I said before, personally, I don't mind if there is a toggle. The other debate was how strict should the mods be, and you probably won't believe me, but the more lenient side won. So meh, give me a long diatribe about why you disagree and this is cataclysmic event if it makes you feel better. You can also call it debate. Me? I don't have much else to say on the matter. To me, again on a personal level, this is a childish complaint, and a waste of effort to "debate".

I prefer the asterisks personally. This thread was part bait (cause I knew over sensitive "nut cuppers" would flock to it) and part sheer boredom.

If there's going to be a filter I prefer the creative approach they've taken over the typical*** or ... approach. very funny to see someone randomly talking about socks an custard. Who's idea was this btw?

Well official answer is that the forums do not have the on/off toggle for a profanity filter. What was used was the simple word replacement feature in them, and it doesn't just mask the words, it nukes and replaces. ACE has been compiling words they don't want to see here and editing as needed. In order to get a functional filter as suggested, it requires web coding, and all hands are currently working on game critical stuff, and shall be for quite some time.

Hope that explains the what's, how's, and why's.

I know a couple people who served in the military who act like complete spoiled children, and a lot more who don't.  One has nothing to do with the other.  Expecting an adult to act with rationality and maturity is something I'd do regardless of profession.  Just because you served does not automatically accord you automatic respect and deference, and the fact that you were so easily offended by some light ribbing on something completely unrelated speaks volumes about your sense of entitlement and thin skin, doesn't it?

I make it a habit to thank people who served, so, thank you for your service.

Semper cry.

I didn't say it automatically gave me respect...where did you read that?  Did you just make that up?

What I said was, if I'm putting my life on the line for this country, and I cuss, that doesn't make me "not acting like an adult".  Amazing what they teach in schools these days.