Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help with crafting

Asim

I am trying to figure out this crafting thing and I have some questions.

1. Under the crafting basics tab there are various nodes, exceptional experimentation, exceptional experimentation points, etc.  These all say they help when crafting BASIC items.  Is this just an unfortunate choice of words or do they really only help when making basic armor/weapons etc?  This does not seem correct because you cant experiment when making basic weapons.  

2. When full completion of a node only awards a value of 1, do you only get a benefit when all 5 pips are complete?  Or do you get a benefit at .2, .4 etc?

3.  When do you have enough skill to not need to use pots?

4.  My assumption is that pots are not additive with your skill training.  True or false?

5.  What is the optimal training path?  Get four pips and move on?  Fully complete the nodes and then move on?  Some other method?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Asim said:

I am trying to figure out this crafting thing and I have some questions.

1.  The basic crafting skills also contribute to the advanced crafting professions by a reduced amount.  They just recently talked about it in their last live stream.

2.  You're getting the stats explicitly stated, like a .2.  If that is your only source for that particular skill, you'll need to wait for a full train for it to be useful.  However, you could have other sources for the same stat (such as other partially trained nodes or potions) which combine to a full point you can use.  For example, in current testing, the pre-alpha testing point for Experimentation Points only grants a .8, meaning you would earn another useful point with only that .2 trained in the tree.

3 & 4.  These go together.  The potions do stack with skills (whether trained or equipped) which means you can stop the potions whenever you have sufficient skills from other sources to cover the difference, or you're hitting a stat cap.  Plentiful Harvest is the example Blair uses for this;  you can get it from a lot of different places, but it caps at five points.  If you continue to train at five points, it will allow you use those secondary sources for other things, like freeing up a Discipline rune slot or forgoing the harvesting potion.

5.  If you have a specific goal in mind (e.g. become a Blacksmith asap), four pip is the way to go to move down the tree quickly.  Otherwise, just keep an eye on the training time per pip.  It's sometimes more time efficient to train the first two or three pips of the second node than the fifth pip of the first.  It just depends on if there's a difference in tier between the two nodes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Asim, had a lot of the same questions and had worked out a lot of theory crafting myself.  Math in my head is to have 2 skills at 80% than 1 at 100%.  Example:  skill 1 gives +4 at 4 pips and skill 2 gives +4 at 4 pips is better than having skill 1 at +5 and 5 pips.  That last pip takes about as long as the first 4.  

Later her on I intend to come back and get that 5th pip, but value for your time is to move down the tree unless it’s a very beneficial stat.