Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Brindylln

Player Created Content - EK Campaign Scenarios

New thread to discuss the features that we need from ACE for players to build realistic and fun EK campaigns for other players to enjoy

Inspired by this post:

1 hour ago, raeshlavik said:

I think this is where the EKs start to really shine - in the right hands of course.

The design spec for the EKs indicates that there will be some user-definable flags at a pretty granular level for things like PvP and whatnot. So, I'm currently operating under the assumption that for my guild's EK we can have an episodic series of events following a 'local' storyline of political intrigue and inter-kingdom tensions.

If the PvP flags are as granular as indicated, then the palace area will be PvP enabled to allow players to try and dispose of various faction leaders who will be protected by bodyguards, mercenaries, etc. in bids to claim those factions (and the problems that entails!)... Even the throne of the land will be claimable - a group will simply have to get through the house guard and kill the crown. We will (if possible) even open this up to groups from other guilds who might like to participate in the RP-PvP storyline as they can carry that back to their guild and use it to create inter-guild tensions for flavor.

In theory, once a player is killed I (or my officers) can lock out a player from the EK for the three day death cool-down - to limit the rinse-repeat on failure and give losing some teeth. ;)

The area around the palace will be markets and manufacturing, and will be safe from general combat - so if you're in town for the story-driven PvP or just general RP, feel free to do some shopping while you're there. This drives commerce for crafters, which drives desire for gatherers, which makes the world go 'round.

Weekly random 'cells' will be spawned, flagged PvP, and set up for various storyline events; a quick example would be group-A needing to get the supply cart from one location to another, while group-B gets to play highwaymen and stop this from occurring - winner gets to keep what's in the cart (rare mats or something)... Stuff like that will be going on every week.

The rest of the EK will be player housing for anyone who wants to be local to the action.

This is basically the stuff I've been doing in SecondLife for over a decade now, so I have literally volumes of storyline events and interactions that can be re-created in the EK to entertain folks... So, if the EKs actually end up with a lot of the functionality that was proposed early on, I (and others like me) will be the themepark elements. :D

This stuff is awesome... beyond awesome!  Having players create content is actually a dream come true for everybody involved: the creators enjoy it, the players love to play it, and the game developers who don't have time to build massive amounts of content can still get the content they need (albeit a little out of their control).

The game needs to to have certain "features" and allow certain things in order for this stuff to work.  The full set of features required to build EK campaigns and scenarios as you describe will probably not be ready at launch.  But I think ACE would be making a big mistake if they didn't push to have them available shortly thereafter.

Edited by Brindylln

• PVP flag in EKs must be area-specific, not EK global (cell-by-cell?)
  • Access control lists for locking out players (I'm pretty sure this is a firm deliverable already)
  • EK market places (I'm pretty sure this is a firm deliverable already)
  • Supply carts (I've heard of these)
  • EK player housing (vassels, this is supposed to happen)

Hmm.. When I initially read the post, I thought it was going to require a hell of a lot more that wasn't already planned.  I guess I need another coffee.

20 minutes ago, Brindylln said:
  • PVP flag in EKs must be area-specific, not EK global (cell-by-cell?)
  • Access control lists for locking out players (I'm pretty sure this is a firm deliverable already)
  • EK market places (I'm pretty sure this is a firm deliverable already)
  • Supply carts (I've heard of these)
  • EK player housing (vassels, this is supposed to happen)

Hmm.. When I initially read the post, I thought it was going to require a hell of a lot more that wasn't already planned.  I guess I need another coffee.

Yeah, most of what I have planned is based on systems that have either been announced or heavily hinted at already... For example:

EK_KingdomBuilder_RC1.png

Already shows the granularity needed to do everything I want to do at a kingdom level.

The crafting system allows/will allow custom text fields - so if I want the players to find a specific object in some ruins, I can (in theory) just place a manufactured item with the appropriate text in a box somewhere - and if they survive to get to the box, they can bring me (the NPC) the item to prove it. :)

Thralls also play into this as some sort of basic interaction will be available - so i can leave "quest items" on them to be acquired as needed.

Things I've not seen but would like:

• The ability to place guards of various (user-defined?) abilities anywhere I want. I know the forts spawn faction-aligned guards in defined locations - but I'd like them to be furniture I can place where I need them to be in the EK. Hell, sell them in the shop to cover the server-cost of running scripted agents.
  • Scripted agents in general. I'd like thralls I can fill with flavor text that respond to keywords - think old-school Everquest. Just some basic interactive text would be good.
  • The ability to spawn / define MOBs. In keeping with the EK idea of them not being useful for campaign power, limit the EK variety to not being able to drop anything we don't load them with in the first place. This way any "loot" an EK-MOB drops, was gained though the campaign loop anyway.

That's pretty much my wish-list.

Edited by raeshlavik

14 minutes ago, Brindylln said:

I want to live in your EK.

Soon (TM)

Vigil (my guild) has the palace parcel and parts, and a huge assortment of everything else ACE offers, so it should be pretty spectacular. I'm importing the RP setting we've been using in SL for ages now, so there's pre-made history, events, names, locations, etc, etc. I'm also writing a lot of new material specific to the lore of Crowfall as ACE releases bits and pieces of it - so when the time comes we'll be all set to bring the Empire to life. :D

29 minutes ago, raeshlavik said:

Soon (TM)

Vigil (my guild) has the palace parcel and parts, and a huge assortment of everything else ACE offers, so it should be pretty spectacular. I'm importing the RP setting we've been using in SL for ages now, so there's pre-made history, events, names, locations, etc, etc. I'm also writing a lot of new material specific to the lore of Crowfall as ACE releases bits and pieces of it - so when the time comes we'll be all set to bring the Empire to life. :D

Question for you. I am on board with all the ideas regarding EKs in this thread. What I want to know, however, is:

Do you think you (and others) should have to enter and win Campaign Worlds in order to build or maintain the parcels and parts that you have bought with real money?

That is, should EKs have upkeep, including real-money purchased EK materials?

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

52 minutes ago, McTan said:

Question for you. I am on board with all the ideas regarding EKs in this thread. What I want to know, however, is:

Do you think you (and others) should have to enter and win Campaign Worlds in order to build or maintain the parcels and parts that you have bought with real money?

That is, should EKs have upkeep, including real-money purchased EK materials?

I think, given that only some of the farm parcels I got with my kickstarter pledge are marked "tax free", that even real-money EK assets will have upkeep fees - if only to cover the server instance costs...

Being as at the end of the day it's all about making a real dollar so that employees can eat, I'm guessing that EK asset taxes will be paid either via in-game assets (campaign materials) or via real money. This will allow people like myself with spare cash but not a lot of spare time to contribute just as well as people with a lot of spare time but not a lot of spare cash.

People playing is a very valuable resource in an MMO, so it's only fair that their time nets a monetary reward - even if it's only covering their subscription cost or building upkeep in Crowfall's case.

As for me personally? I'm okay with paying real money for EK upkeep as it's not having a direct impact on campaign PvP - and someone has to pay for the server/bandwidth costs for that EK instance... For example, I pay ~$300 a month to SecondLife for the "land" I have there, which is mostly to cover server/bandwidth costs - so Crowfall won't be too terribly different in that aspect if EK assets can be paid for with real money.

Ultimately entering (and winning) campaigns will still be the fuel everything runs on though. Even if I can just pay for all of the buildings each month, all of the materials needed to make, well, anything must come from the campaigns. Which is why Vigil has a pretty amazing combat and crafting team. :)

Edited by raeshlavik

EKs should have upkeep.  But...

Trade and Craft is meant to be a fulltime profession, according to the advertisments and game descriptions that ACE has put out previously, and the skilltree backs that up.

I think MOST people will prefer campaign world battles, but SOME will spend all their time in EKs making a living on trade and craft, and funding their EK assets accordingly.

1 hour ago, Brindylln said:

EKs should have upkeep.  But...

Trade and Craft is meant to be a fulltime profession, according to the advertisments and game descriptions that ACE has put out previously, and the skilltree backs that up.

I think MOST people will prefer campaign world battles, but SOME will spend all their time in EKs making a living on trade and craft, and funding their EK assets accordingly.

Yep.

I'm hopeful that players will be locked to a single campaign for its duration, but can come and go to the EKs as desired. The import/export rules seem to back up this idea; where you can leave the campaign and go buy stuff in an EK, but might not be able to import it when you go back - depending on ruleset.

If that's the case, the weekly EK Event can still be attended by everyone even if they're a full-time EK resident or on campaign with the Legion.

4 hours ago, raeshlavik said:

Yep.

I'm hopeful that players will be locked to a single campaign for its duration, but can come and go to the EKs as desired. The import/export rules seem to back up this idea; where you can leave the campaign and go buy stuff in an EK, but might not be able to import it when you go back - depending on ruleset.

If that's the case, the weekly EK Event can still be attended by everyone even if they're a full-time EK resident or on campaign with the Legion.

Three CWs at a time, is my guess. Locking to a single is a good way to get people to quit when they are losing.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

11 minutes ago, McTan said:

Three CWs at a time, is my guess. Locking to a single is a good way to get people to quit when they are losing.

That's a really good point. Three is is then! :)

I don't think being able to lock into more than one campaign world at a time is a good idea, especially if you can only take out all of your earnings if you win. If I can lock into three worlds at once then I'd invest my time into the one where I have the biggest chance of taking my earnings with me. So if my side is losing in two of the three but winning in one, I would only go to the one where I'm winning so I can get my stuff. As a side effect of that, there would be fewer people to contest the winners in the other worlds, thus there would be less meaningful engagement. If I can only put all my eggs in one basket I'd make sure that basket is as well protected as I can make it.

5 hours ago, Stehlen said:

I don't think being able to lock into more than one campaign world at a time is a good idea, especially if you can only take out all of your earnings if you win. If I can lock into three worlds at once then I'd invest my time into the one where I have the biggest chance of taking my earnings with me. So if my side is losing in two of the three but winning in one, I would only go to the one where I'm winning so I can get my stuff. As a side effect of that, there would be fewer people to contest the winners in the other worlds, thus there would be less meaningful engagement. If I can only put all my eggs in one basket I'd make sure that basket is as well protected as I can make it.

That's actually a very good point. Losing sucks and most want to be on the winning side.

Maybe a compromise could be reached, like reducing it from 3 to 2 campaigns. I think anyone within a half decent guild will want to do guild vs guild so reducing it to only one campaign might create its own problems but with 3 campaigns I can see players ditching the one where they're losing the most. 

Another option would be to allow people in a guild to go into the Guild vs Guild world with a second character copy, but otherwise you can only get into one campaign per character. So you can only join one campaign world but if you're in a guild the GvG world unlocks for you and you can enter it with a character that's already in one other campaign world.

This way they can't abandon their guildies the way they might abandon another campaign world when they're losing and their guild might make a participation schedule so players can play on the other campaign or do offline things when they're not expected to log onto the Guild vs Guild world.

Edit: you can still take out some of your campaign earnings if you lose or there's a draw; the penalty is not being allowed to take as much phat loot from your item vault as the winners can.

Edited by Silisquish

I remember Neverwinter having this and people started to created exp scenarios. thankfully that wont happen in CF! 

There were some good ones with story and challenges. It allows the player base to create content for the game without costing the developers extra funding aside from programming, bug defense and bans for exploits. 100k players could create content so much faster than any developer could.

I'd love to have a hide n seek, a race, a scavenger hunt, etc in my guilds EK. then I'd love to have some PvP tournament style with rewards buuuut we'll have to wait for those.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty