Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Plasmafogking

Should Crowfall feel like any other game?

Short answer: no, this is unique game and any suggestion to change it to feel like any other (crappy) game is a sin and selfish.

Now, i get that there is many different things in other game you might like: from the pace of game to actual mechanics. But, those should be implemented naturally in the context of Crowfall and how it progress.
And if you played many other games, then you might have seen many different things and mechanics you likes in those games. There might be lots of things from other game who could fit into Crowfall if those stuff get implemented naturally, with care and in context of this game.
For example:

1. Guild Wars 2 - questing. Not questing in literal sense, but world events where anyone can participate and everyone who participate get some sort of reward, and there are many ways to complete one specific quest.
  2. Wold of Warcraft - crafting benefits (from WOTLK). Having certain benefits in battle from leveling up certain profession, but limiting them only to those certain professions: from several better gems in jewelcrafting to active special effects in engineering.
  3. Lineage 2 - weapon augmentation (from C6). Allowing to augment a weapon to gain passive stats or special abilities from other classes, and this require rare special items who have to be farmed in the game world.
  4. Rift - rifts. Random world events where players can to participate (and in Crowfall they could compete either to close or keep it open) for bonus rewards/experience.
  5. The Secret World - expanded quests. Quest where you need to work with other players, gather information either from game or from the real world, figure out puzzles and delve into lore of many different stories to complete the most difficult quests.
  6. Black Desert Online - gathering routes. Having followers who you can sent to gather for you at certain areas (and in Crowfall these followers could be killed by other players to steal gathered materials or protected by players) if you have enough influence.
  7. Archeage - naval combat. Fighting in ships with ships. Meh? Ok.
  8. AION - combo skills. Certain skills who can be activated under certain conditions or after use of a specific skills.
  9. Path of Exile - talent tree. Ability to build your own class to fit your own play style. Essentially creating whatever you want to do whatever you want.
  10. League of Legends - balance patches. Constantly readdressing balance of the game trying to managed/nerf the most overpowered characters.

While most of these COULD be added along the way, it doesn't mean they SHOULD be added.

Just now, BarriaKarl said:

What is your point? Did you just cite multiple mechanics just to say they shouldnt be added?

26 minutes ago, Plasmafogking said:

Short answer: no, this is unique game and any suggestion to change it to feel like any other (crappy) game is a sin and selfish.

+

26 minutes ago, Plasmafogking said:

While most of these COULD be added along the way, it doesn't mean they SHOULD be added.

9 minutes ago, Plasmafogking said:

36 minutes ago, Plasmafogking said:

+

36 minutes ago, Plasmafogking said:

While most of these COULD be added along the way, it doesn't mean they SHOULD be added

yes? Are you perhaps speaking in riddles?

IMO.... NO.  I want other games to want to be like Crowfall.  If Overwatch or XXX game are so great, go play it or crowd fund a game from the same developer.  Crowfall appeals to many of us because they are trying to be unique or try out new ideas.  These are things you don’t find in big Giants like blizzard/EA because big corporate has a bottom line, and that’s where you bring in pay to win scenarios.  

Lets let let the game develop as they envisioned.... I came for the vision, not the memories.

IMO...The short answer is YES! 

I've been playing MMORPGs since Ultima Online.  It was fantastic and terrible at the same time because fast internet access just didn't exist.  However, the foundations and key mechanics of that game are essentially still the same in every MMORPG today.

I think YES for sure Crowfall should learn from the past and the entire MMORPG genre.  Ever heard the saying  "Why reinvent the wheel?".  The point is, Crowfall doesn't need to be a complete rebuild from the ground up and ignore existing technologies and mechanics for the sake being a pure new idea.  Essentially it cannot be a pure new idea built from the ground up because it relies heavily upon concepts that originated many years ago.

What should Crowfall be? It should be whatever the Pioneers of the concept envisioned originally while also trying to make the game super FUN and ENGAGING for those of us that backed it in Kickstarter ; And those of us that PLAN on playing the game at release!

Keeping us playing and engaged specifically worries me.  WHY?  Because from what I have seen by playing the PreAlpha, etc.., is that I spend most all of my time harvesting materials to make weapons and armor. Which quite honestly, is not very fun. That coupled with a time based skills system could very easily transition into stockpile ore, wood, stone, special mats and wait for skills to train. Craft some stuff, then sometimes run around and take forts/keeps back and forth and then stockpile more mats to replace damaged weapons and armor.  Rinse Repeat....  That literally scares about this game because I'm hoping there is more depth.

Specifically in reference to travel and combat speeds.  I agree, the travel and combat is super slow and not fluid at all.  Especially when comparing to Black Desert Online combat mechanics and travel.

Honestly, the game felt a lot like Dark Age of Camelot in terms of slowness of combat and travel.  Felt almost exactly the same once I found a bard to run my party around.

On 1/3/2018 at 3:28 AM, Plasmafogking said:

You asked if CF should "feel" like other games, not carbon copy features.

CF could "feel" like other games in multiple ways, be it overall or specific systems/mechanics.

Sieges for example could "feel" like DAoC or Shadowbane.

Crafting could "feel" like SWG.

Character system could "feel" like EVE + Shadowbane.

They aren't making a 100% unique innovated never before scene game. Many features are heavily inspired by other games, of which they've credited.

When it comes to things like combat, I see several wishing the overall experience "felt" more like XYZ or simply was better overall in comparison. To me it is more about quality and enjoyment, not if you slash a sword the same as X game.

WoW's combat is good for what it is, BDO's combat is good for that game, ESO, SWTOR, UO, etc. Albion Online is a very simple combat system and while not perfect, fits the game well despite lacking so many features (including those CF has). CF's combat currently is sort of meh (to me) and doesn't really make me want to repeat the experience due to the joy of how well it comes together. It just doesn't pack a punch for me or give me good "feelz."

So while I do want CF to be unique and not carbon copy games, I do "feel" that they could change things to get players to "feel" something (happy?) that they might not currently for whatever reason.

Clearly they could add tons of features, unique or not over time, but getting the basic core design out the door is mandatory. If their "release" quality product is not up to expectations and today's standards, they won't get a chance to add anything else.

On 1/3/2018 at 3:58 AM, Xpade said:

IMO.... NO.  I want other games to want to be like Crowfall.  If Overwatch or XXX game are so great, go play it or crowd fund a game from the same developer.  Crowfall appeals to many of us because they are trying to be unique or try out new ideas.  These are things you don’t find in big Giants like blizzard/EA because big corporate has a bottom line, and that’s where you bring in pay to win scenarios.  

Lets let let the game develop as they envisioned.... I came for the vision, not the memories.

I'm waiting to see what the end result is but so far I don't know what their "vision" is as it isn't clear. From pre-Kickstarter to now, their "vision" or ways they've described the overall game and individual systems have changes, some drastically to even being removed. I believe there's a general idea of how the game will function but without many missing pieces in place (if they'll even make it in) and actual players participating, I can't say for sure if the game will be like any other game or a game in of itself worth playing.

Saying it will be a large scale open world PVP game with crafting, siege and blah blah is as generic as it gets. There are several games like this and many on the way. They can't all be the same...

I don't want CF to be like other games, but they could easily learn by looking at what others are doing and take inspiration. They clearly do this with games they've referenced multiple times and have worked on themselves.

As for "P2W" and the bottom line, they won't be unique or avoid this to the extent that they potentially could. They too have a bottom line.