Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vimes

People think that Crowfall will be released in 2018

As someone who listened to them saying "We are on track for a soft launch in 2017" repeatedly midway through 2017, I am now forced to believe that 2018 is the year of Crowfall. 

They can take as long as they want, we know they aren't making vaporware. We can play it (well some of us). Don't fret babydoll.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

2018 is Year of the Crow[fall].....

I just don't want Blizzard to release their expansion near/before CF releases..

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

On 1/4/2018 at 6:15 PM, Zybak said:

I think the game will most definitely soft launch in 2018. In fact I think it'll probably happen in the Spring-Summer. I'm sure it'll be a bit rocky and campaign worlds and other variables that require long term testing will need some tweaks before they do the official launch. However I don't think we're too far from a game loop. 

This is honestly what I'm afraid of.

'Soft launching' is dangerous, because no one in the wider majority cares about the 'official launch' after that. The moment you call something a launch and let people buy the game for the box price, it's been launched - it doesn't matter what you call it. If it's a broken mess, no one cares about the small print of a 'soft launch', or your promises that the 'full launch' will be better.

Having said all that, I do actually have faith in ACE to get it right. I'm just a bit worried about the idea of a soft launch in general. If the game is fun, and has enough for people to do - then launch it. If it doesn't, then don't.

This strange middle ground of a 'soft launch' is odd to me. However, I'm holding out faith, and I'm willing/hoping to have my fears calmed. :)

16 hours ago, jetah said:

They almost certainly will, but it won't matter honestly.

If Crowfall is a good game, it almost doesn't matter when it launches. People will play "Warlords of the return of the Azerothian Tribe 2: Electric Boogaloo" or whatever the new one is called, and get bored in 2 months like every other wow expansion since WotLK.

If the game is good and can hold players. People will play it, keep playing it and tell their friends about it. It will grow as WoW's subs fall.

11 minutes ago, xaine said:

Soft launching' is dangerous, because no one in the wider majority cares about the 'official launch' after that.

I'm not sure there will even be an "official launch" after the "soft launch."

IhhQKY6.gif

Just now, Jah said:

I'm not sure there will even be an "official launch" after the "soft launch."

of course there will be. They'll open the servers but wont advertise it. When they're ready for official release then they'll use that advertising budget. Personally I think youtube and twitch are better results per dollar than static ads but who knows.

etDenA9.png

11 minutes ago, jetah said:

of course there will be. They'll open the servers but wont advertise it. When they're ready for official release then they'll use that advertising budget. Personally I think youtube and twitch are better results per dollar than static ads but who knows.

There isn't an advertising budget.

14 minutes ago, frozenshadow said:

There isn't an advertising budget.

not that we know of, but they will need to advertise. 1 twitch or yt streamer can show the game to 50k+ people which is probably a good cost:exposure ratio. Facebook, twitter, instagram are all good platforms to advertise to. Only problem I have with twitch/yt is they don't stay on the game for long, it's usually a week to a month, after that i've noticed they switch games. Not sure if there's a contract for duration or not.

etDenA9.png

1 hour ago, jetah said:

Just because they start spending more on marketing after the soft launch doesn't mean there will be an "Official Release" other than the soft launch.

IhhQKY6.gif

1 hour ago, Jah said:

Just because they start spending more on marketing after the soft launch doesn't mean there will be an "Official Release" other than the soft launch.

They'll do an official release just for the publicity. They'll say the game is in head start or open beta or other PR term for 'not officially release because we're missing some stuff' then when those last systems are online they can shout it's released!  There are some f2p games that do this.

etDenA9.png

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:22 AM, Jaynuminous said:

https://crowfall.com/en/news/articles/founders'-update-a-great-year/ 

LOOKING FORWARD

"As exciting as 2017 has been, 2018 is going to blow it out of the water. We’ve got some hugely impactful milestones in front of us: alpha, beta, soft launch and – once the game is polished enough – our world-wide commercial release."

Its easy to see why people believe 2018 is supposed to bring us at least the soft launch. These statements from Todd and Gordon has many people believing its not only possible, but even probable. 

Regarding the decision to secure another round of private funding;

"We believe this is the right approach, so we pitched it to our investors. They agreed. We are delighted to announce that on December 1st, we closed another financing round for an additional $6 million. This money will be used to fund the completion, launch and marketing of Crowfall.

This means we’ll be hiring a few more people, we’ll be able to invest more in our live infrastructure and support more players; and we’ll be able to get some real attention once the game is ready."

Though I couldn't agree more with the importance of first impressions. Some people may wander into the testing environment with certain expectations. No matter how unreasonable or unfounded these expectatons, the first impression can very be lasting. When these expectations aren't met, some folks may disappear from Crowfall without ever making a sound. Only to never return. 

I do feel the game will launch this year. We are closer than many people think with 5.4 and with a lot of new hires and outsourcing they can get a ton done in the next few months. Not all features will be polished at soft launch or even launch. Its an MMORPG it continually improves over the years.

I expect Alpha to be March, until Beta which will be May then June soft launch. Todd's statement points to that, and what I feel will happen is Juneish we will be at soft launch, they will run 1-2-3 different (or a very small amount of but this depends on demand also) CW at the same time with the same end dates 1-3 months per CW or if they run others they will make them end all at the same time around October. So the 1st official rounds of CW will end all together at around Oct, unless some win conditions are met early they should all end around the exact same time. If successful polish a little bit and call the official launch with the next round of CW. If not successful enough do another shorter round of CW and try to fix the issues having them end December this time. Then launch once they finish and start up round 3 of CW.

Edited by YouTubejasonwivart

Check out my youtube channel for testing gameplay https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp-AgZ6mHOVObusemDVEXoA

@OP if outlets aren't maintaining their release dates based on news, I think that's their failing as an outlet.  We're all hoping for (and ACE seem to be geared for) a 2018 soft launch, but I don't think we'll see it till Q3 at the earliest.

Some systems are still in need of (and getting) lots of love.  The feel of combat still needs tightening, CC's need more visual emphasis (I'm especially looking at you, Immobilisation/Root), crafting costs need balancing and last but definitely not least server stability needs much more work, when the message ping starts spiking it's basically game over for anyone who's not playing a pure ranged auto attacker. 

To come back to my point though, it's not the job of the developers to go chasing up every outlet to make sure their information is up-to-date when they haven't responded to comms coming from official channels.  It's even worse with sites like MMORPG where they'll even do a news post on the games' news, but then not update the product information at the top of the page. 

On 1/6/2018 at 11:27 PM, jetah said:

There's enough people that don't care anymore about WoW and its expansions that they will look at Crowfall and other video game products. This isn't EA and their strategic release BS over priced garbage filled with P2W loot boxes. Come on now man. Even ACE has said they'll be happy with a quarter million players sustained after launch. They're not looking to take over the MMO market or anything nor should they be cause it's a dumb business plan to have.

OS_Sig3.png

6 minutes ago, entityofsin said:

There's enough people that don't care anymore about WoW and its expansions that they will look at Crowfall and other video game products. This isn't EA and their strategic release BS over priced garbage filled with P2W loot boxes. Come on now man. Even ACE has said they'll be happy with a quarter million players sustained after launch. They're not looking to take over the MMO market or anything nor should they be cause it's a dumb business plan to have.

The next expansion seems to be putting the alliance v horde back to the main focus of the game. Many people who've ignored it since x expansion might try it out.

it's already a pretty known tactic for blizzard to release an expansion or game near another games release/expansion.  it's possible someone people that would consider CF wouldn't even try it if wow expansion released near CF's release. Only thing that might help CF is the soft launch and retail launch.

I've done it myself, go back to wow/blizzard product instead of a new games release/dlc/expansion.

etDenA9.png

1 minute ago, jetah said:

I've done it myself, go back to wow/blizzard product instead of a new games release/dlc/expansion.

I've done it too. Each time I've felt like I wasted money to see something I don't really care about anymore. I had great memories playing the game. Time to do that in another MMO.

I wouldn't be worried about it WoW expansion released in the same month as Crowfall. The people that go back to that game probably weren't even that interested in Crowfall to begin with. But there are those people that play multiple MMOs so I still don't think it matters that much.

OS_Sig3.png

WoW and Crowfall have pretty different target audiences so I wouldn't worry to much.  Also a lot of people only play a lot of major MMOs until they finish the story of the newest expansion and then they get bored and leave again.  I'm sure even if Crowfall released somewhat close to a WoW expansion you'd get some of those bored people looking for something new trying out Crowfall.

22 hours ago, entityofsin said:

I've done it too. Each time I've felt like I wasted money to see something I don't really care about anymore. I had great memories playing the game. Time to do that in another MMO.

I wouldn't be worried about it WoW expansion released in the same month as Crowfall. The people that go back to that game probably weren't even that interested in Crowfall to begin with. But there are those people that play multiple MMOs so I still don't think it matters that much.

12 hours ago, ArcJurado said:

WoW and Crowfall have pretty different target audiences so I wouldn't worry to much.  Also a lot of people only play a lot of major MMOs until they finish the story of the newest expansion and then they get bored and leave again.  I'm sure even if Crowfall released somewhat close to a WoW expansion you'd get some of those bored people looking for something new trying out Crowfall.

I know it's a tactic for blizzard. if we lose 5k players because of then it's a loss. sure they may join CF after 5 months but that could have been 5 months with us from the start. Any means to pull potential players from CF is bad to me.

I like both games although WoW gets stale for me at time. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this.

etDenA9.png