Spicing Up Maps With Adventure Parcels - Official Discussion Thread

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Come take a first look at Adventure Parcels! FULL STORY

Hi Tinnis, You are correct , Gaia is the name of the program we use with Unity terrain. In regards on how it works, it uses Unity's terrain height map to allow me to sculpt and stamp out the vari

...and differing group compositions and character builds, which is really exciting.  Lots of folks act as if the open area combat is the grand determiner of build/comp usefulness when it will not and

58 minutes ago, miraluna said:

The pictures look great, excited to see these parcels in-game! I especially like the maze/tunnel idea, that type of terrain always makes for some crazy fun pvp situations :ph34r:

...and differing group compositions and character builds, which is really exciting.  Lots of folks act as if the open area combat is the grand determiner of build/comp usefulness when it will not and should not be.  With generous use of these types of parcels, we should see all kinds of creative solutions. For example, a short line Stoneborn knights shoulder to shoulder backed up by a couple of clerics to block a passage way from ill prepared hordes, etc.   

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

21 hours ago, ClockworkOrange said:

These parcels look good and I like the attempt to spruce up the map. Only worry that the potential diversity of them isn't very high that it turns into, oh this is Cavern #3.

Adventure parcels are created in sets, and each set should allow us to create unique areas (mazes, dungeons, labyrinths) for each world. Pictured below is an example of the canyon set. We can mix and match tiles from this set to create unique areas for each world. ~'Miracle' Max L.

The same elements of Unity5 that allow procedural (random) or crafted parcel generation should allow ace to procedurally generate caverns and labyrinths or allow players to craft underground areas beneath their EK parcels. Maybe underground complexes could even be crafted into CW strongholds as well, possibly even with multiple entrances?

20 hours ago, moneda said:

Ditto to the above "looking good" comments. Also, I'm hoping the NPCs we encounter, generally but especially in these areas, are quite the challenge in and of themselves. It's one thing to hunt an animal in the wild but quite another to hunt it where it sleeps. ;)

My only concern with fixed-point monster generators is that they become feeding-points for gold farmers in other games.

Limiting these super-monster generators to once per season is not as good as random-location monster generation, but it keeps gold farmers from botting up these nodes and breaking the game economy with cheap bot-farmed resources.

Another idea is to have a cavern or labyrinth open up progressively, dependent upon a nearby stone or ore motherlode being destroyed repeatedly by stonecutters or miners. This simulates the cavern being mined-out as the gatherers chase the motherlode. It also reserves a boss monster in the back for later exploration as well as increasing player interdependence.

20 hours ago, coolster50 said:

I-is that a CAVE?!?!?!?!

Looks awesome, can’t wait to explore them!

Ditto.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

22 hours ago, Tinnis said:

i am curious if they have sorted the issue of actually have 'below ground level' terrain or not

If ACE is using the default terrain utilities that come with Unity, I know from experience that it is remarkably annoying to punch holes in the terrain.  They are based on the idea of every vertical line intersecting the terrain exactly once.  So, you can easily make "caves" that sit on top of the actual terrain that are really just buildings made out of other primitives, but then you have to deal with the surface of the structure not looking or behaving like the rest of the ground around it.

Given that terrain voxels proved a non-starter (remember when we thought Guinecians would be able to dig holes?), I suspect that we will not have true caves in Crowfall.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

@Nazdar  In one of the livestreams a while back (early-mid 2017) one of the Devs was showing off some sample terrain that did look like it had "true underground" features IIRC, and that they'd been able to get around this issue (or had an idea of how to do it)... I'll try to find the YouTube video for it to confirm, but I really hope that I'm remembering right...

I wonder if it's also possible to raise the ground level of all other parcels above that base level, and thereby allow "subterranean" features that don't have to break that Unity rule?

P.S. Grr Winterblades 🦌

eecdd84bdc5daead4b795a3e075d2347.png

20 hours ago, snowmizer said:

Take my money!  When can I buy them??

not for eks silly...   these and the POIs that go into them are for Campaign World map building only...   

in other words  You (still) get nothing!                                                 edit: without earning it through risk

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

On 1/4/2018 at 11:25 AM, Tinnis said:

@ Jon O'Neal [@jonnycab] how is the Gaia terrain tool thing (i think that was the name you talked about awhile ago?) working out with regards creating actual 'land depth' rather than just raising everything up though (like say the current canyon)

Hi Tinnis,

You are correct , Gaia is the name of the program we use with Unity terrain. In regards on how it works, it uses Unity's terrain height map to allow me to sculpt and stamp out the various looks of the terrain.  Unfortunately when using height maps you can't fold in on itself or carve down inside itself (like a cave). You can only really pull up or down. But fear not, we have solutions for a cave system. :)

Now that the initial "building" parcels (which were more flat and open for placement of buildings) are done, we're making these "Adventure Parcels" . As you can see by adding in different types of rocks, rock edges, large scale objects, generally more interesting pocketed areas of stuff we are finally able to get a more varied look to the terrain and adding much more land depth as you put it. We'll have more on this later. We have some cool idea's to really push the terrain so it doesn't look the same everywhere. It's very challenging though, because everything has to always stitch up to another parcel (and look goodish).  So as you can imagine , it can get out of hand very quickly if you're not careful when designing these out. 

In regards to your Canyon example. I finally now have the ability to raise the edges of parcels to a different heights. For example: Atm our swamp and canyon goes from level then up then back down to level. I now have the ability to take the edges of the terrain, raise them up to a new height and make that the new ground level. So when you run into that parcel you''re at ground level...before it goes down so you get a true canyon or bog/swamp. This might seem minor or insignificant but it was actually quite challenging to do this because we needed to have it stitch back to other terrains correctly. So I'll be going back and fixing the swamp and canyon parcels. 

-Jon

Jon O'Neal, Lead Environment Artist, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook