Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Control Mage Archetype

innadril

Since it's not an elaborated suggestion I'll just drop this here.

We all like some character specially over others in every story. Some people will love the role of Aragorn in LOTR over other chars, some will like the Petyr Baelish one in GoT, etc. As you could notice for my avatar, I like Jace Beleren from Magic: the Gathering. The "Mind Sculptor" or "Architect of Thought".

When we think of mages in MMOs, we clearly link them with the ranged DPS role. BOOM! FIREBALL! in summary...

My point in this post is that would be interesting to have a mage archetype more focused into play with the enemy's mind, creating illusions, debuffing them in a way that can affect their gameplay experience (imagine this wizard casting some kind of nightmare into the enemy, then in the enemy player screen all turns into black and dark purple horrible shapes and screaming sounds that difficult that enemy player ability to play under those effects).

Control, illusions, time manipulation, I don't know... that kind of stuff.

Jace Beleren for reference

I don't know about Rift but the Mesmer in GW2 doesn't represent what I'm talking about. Spawning clones and making'em explode is not what I have in mind. I talk about playing with the enemy's perception disabling him/her of making right choices and making them feel truly lost.

To counter it you have Order Mages.

They lock you into very orderly movements. You swing your sword once every 1.5 seconds. You can only move at a measured tread (no dashing). You can not use any chaotic abilities. You will behave! No running!

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.