Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PaleOne

Character/Guild Progress- Why People keep playing Mmorgs

One of the biggest reasons people continue to play MMorpgs is the feeling of character or guild progress.

The reward has to be better than the effort applied to receive it. And the progress of the individual should then equate to progress for the group.

Most people play now until their character reaches a certain amount of utility and then unless they have a new combination they want to test, they stop playing.

Basically once you have your advanced weapon and armor made there is no reason to continue to log in.

This will change some with Vessels, Actual discipline droppers ETC

From what i have seen so far the difference between a basic and advanced weapon made of low level mats is worth it.

But further effort to make a green/blue/purple weapon isnt. ( This hopefully will change as crafting matures)

But the most important reason people aren't playing is no guilds in game, guild victory conditions, or rewards in the campaign.

I certainly hope that victory rewards are more than " You lose less of your assets when this campaign is over"

Because Temporary rewards won't keep people playing. Short timers disease will set in.

The campaign rule set needs to have a win condition that is not time/date dependent. If people think their team could win or lose at any moment they will log on and play.

and we need guild tags because there is no "Faction Pride" at all.

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

More bugs reported does not mean faster progress. 

Making games takes time, making good games takes time and skill and a little bit of luck. 

Making great games takes all of the above and then polish the custard out of it. And it takes a LONG time to polish.

That or just get some fantastic ideas that can be done with current tech and catch people on the hop. 

They have had some fantastic ideas for this game that have poorly implemented outcomes.  The tech was not there or the creators skills didnt mesh with the idea. Animation is hard. Math is hard.

Making 1500 different subsystems that all talk with each other and don't break into a flaming pile of crap when exposed to internet latency from people all over the wold connecting at the same time and expecting fps performance......

Guess what that is really hard.

They have too few people for the project. But they are busting their asses.  And doing the best that they can. I give them lots of poorly made socks because I get disappointed in what we are seeing vrs what was imagined. But I certainly do understand they are working as well and as fast as they can. 

They have made some major mistakes but they are also taking all the work and risk on their shoulders. I am armchair developing my imprint of my buttcrack into a chair. I certainly know who is working harder. 

Oh and Blair more failures I get nothing. I do still hate you. :)

On 1/9/2018 at 6:30 PM, Xarrayne said:

The players are certainly ready for a more complete game loop, I guess it's just a question of ACE being ready... All in good time?

Definitely, I mean we can almost see the game loop as it stands.  We still haven't seen seasons, or capturing mines / resource caravans or even the different rulesets, but ultimately we can see the outline, you go to a campaign, fight for the key areas of the map, get mats and craft/export them allowing you to later import more mats or start off a bit stronger (depending on which ruleset you're playing). 

Crafting needs a lot of love, especially when it comes to the question of time required to craft vs ease of loss.  So it would definitely be cool in future to have the ability to automate aspects of this (much in the way one sets up a crafting run in a factory on EVE), or alternatively have a way of insuring items against durability.  To reflect on the OP's point, I don't agree that constant climb is what keeps players playing, I think that's a faux impression left by the era of themepark MMO's that have always used a gear treadmill as a hook.  Sandbox games definitely keep people involved by being fun to play and making them feel like their actions can have consequences.  I know it's a tired comparison but in EVE for example, you can end up limited to a set of ships and equipment for months at a time, but the gameloop is fun (for enough people to keep it running for MANY years). Once the gameplay. 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, PaleOne said:

The importance of the game loop is higher than other improvements because with a complete game loop comes more participation which means more bugs reported and faster progress

No it means more people that don't know what testing is complaining and making the game look worse than it is.  

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

we'll get guilds and guild tags eventually. no need to have it in pre-alpha tho.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

On 1/9/2018 at 3:53 PM, PaleOne said:

The importance of the game loop is higher than other improvements because with a complete game loop comes more participation which means more bugs reported and faster progress

2 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

No it means more people that don't know what testing is complaining and making the game look worse than it is.  

Wow, this is like Schrodinger's Cat for MMOs... which one is true? We'll never know until we look into Alpha. 

I've been watching too much Big Bang Theory.

5 minutes ago, Silisquish said:

Wow, this is like Schrodinger's Cat for MMOs... which one is true? We'll never know until we look into Alpha. 

I've been watching too much Big Bang Theory.

It's more like he has created a reason in his mind to justify having a game loop na0w.  What's actually most important is getting combat to feel good, without that this game just won't matter at all.

More eyes on the game right now would be a very bad idea.  

VIKINGNAIL that is actually a very good point.

However you have to invest a bunch of money for Alpha 1 access; if they go to Alpha 1 the few new players that come in will probably all be diehard fans. But if they open a game loop for everyone with 'early access' that might be a problem. Some people on youtube etc. seem to think think Open / Stress Test Beta is Beta, and that Beta is Alpha; they judge the game too harshly.

1 hour ago, Silisquish said:

VIKINGNAIL that is actually a very good point.

However you have to invest a bunch of money for Alpha 1 access; if they go to Alpha 1 the few new players that come in will probably all be diehard fans. But if they open a game loop for everyone with 'early access' that might be a problem. Some people on youtube etc. seem to think think Open / Stress Test Beta is Beta, and that Beta is Alpha; they judge the game too harshly.

Alpha 1s are already playing and have been for a long time.  Most of the testers left because they just aren't interested until the product is more complete (their right, they aren't obligated to test, their money helped enough) and some also just got disenfranchised with what they saw vs what they felt they were promised.

Anyway as far as the OP is concerned the real reason people play mmorpgs is to have fun with friends, however that may be, but that's for a game, not for a test, and people like the OP seem to keep forgetting that we are testing now, not playing a game, and it does not need to be a game until it is released, trying to force it to become fun for testers can distract from the actual development and create inefficiencies.  

to the Original Post, You are 100% correct on the guild tag in game.  I promise you this is a big thing for most players.  I think it was Elder scrolls that tried to remove tags in the PvP world for BS immersion and picking a faction and feeling like your part of that faction.  I promise you most players could care less what faction they are apart of they take a hell of a lot more pride in the guild tag above their head then the faction tag.  

Elder scrolls I believe has already fixed that and added guild cloaks as well.  So they at least patched their mistake.  Lets hope CR does not make the same one.

D,