touchmybow

Gathering is not real content

I wasn't going to complain seeing as how this game just won't change its pace/feel but I decided to post on the topic because there is at least one thing they can change, and i'll get to that in a minute.

First of all I could immediately sense that gathering was a shallow activity in this game. There's so much safe zone gathering that its literally just a boring chore. Gather to create tools that break too often, gathering for the weapons you'll lose, gather gather gather. The gathering hit system mini game makes me laugh, gathering isn't supposed to be action oriented lol. I guess they just took it from rust and said well if a popular game does it I guess it can't hurt to put it in our game :clueless:.

I wont get into detail how I think remote access to a spirit bank makes gathering even more redundant and lifeless. I mean there is no risk you just bank what you get as you go.

What I will suggest, and what surprised me greatly, is skinning as gathering taking so long. This is literally what I consider going too far to make us do "shallow content". I'd rather run out of things to do in a game than have to tax myself with the "this game is light on content" tax.

So a chunk of your game is fake content. This is why I'll always consider kickstarter mmos trash until proven otherwise.

So i take it that you dont like gathering?

Other than that all i got from your post was "i dont like it. I dont like it. That is dumb. And i really dont like it...".

I dont even get what was you point here? Gathering is a pretty big part of the game. It is as much of focus as combat is. Unfortunely not all system are online and there is no form of trading which means everyone must fight, gather and craft wheter they like it or not.

PS.: I am not really trying to be rude but your post was pretty much just a rant...

Very surprising/groundbreaking thread we have here. Let's give it the attention it deserves.

I'm glad the action harvesting gave you a chuckle, thanks for sharing that. Your suggestion wasn't.. a suggestion or it just read pretty terribly, and you seem to have a misunderstanding with the spirit bank regarding the import/export rules. The game needs a lot of work and you're only seeing the Pre-Alpha version because the devs have allowed you to. If a company is brave enough to try to make a good MMO in this market I like to embrace that idea with positivity and not add onto the struggles they already face.

The problem with crowfall is its just meant to replace battlegrounds. Battlegrounds are void of a real immersive world, because its just an arena. The rules for victory are basic, objective based stuff, again not an immersive and deep or rich world. So here we have a game that will bring basic objective based stuff like a battleground, but look, there's no world. PvE and gathering is faked content, can't you tell? It's shallow. But who is surprised, its just a battleground upgrade.

better keep your spirit bank open, can't bare to lose any pixels.

9 minutes ago, touchmybow said:

The problem with crowfall is its just meant to replace battlegrounds. Battlegrounds are void of a real immersive world, because its just an arena. The rules for victory are basic, objective based stuff, again not an immersive and deep or rich world. So here we have a game that will bring basic objective based stuff like a battleground, but look, there's no world. PvE and gathering is faked content, can't you tell? It's shallow. But who is surprised, its just a battleground upgrade.

better keep your spirit bank open, can't bare to lose any pixels.

Another clueless noob...  thanks for backing, go away or stay, choices matter.

Edited by Frykka

25 minutes ago, touchmybow said:

So a chunk of your game is fake content. This is why I'll always consider kickstarter mmos trash until proven otherwise.

There are non-crowdfunded MMOs that have gathering which makes up a big part of the game. So I guess they're trash too.

Without Gathering in Crowfall, we'd have to introduce another way to acquire gear since it won't be crafted. Even if crafting mats are an item drop, it would just introduce mob grinding into the game which is boring.

If you don't want to gather, fine, then don't. You give up the right to complain about not having any good gear cause you don't have someone gathering and crafting stuff for you if all you're going to be is a combat account type of player.

You might think a game feature is shallow content but you're wrong. You don't even know what Crowfall is. People like you buying into the game, get about 30 minutes or less of experience looking around in the game, and start posting BS on the forum about stuff you don't fully understand. Great job.

I just hope ACE notices these threads. You guys can all tell this man he is wrong and to go away, but his opinion is valid.

I know this isn't the final game, but if it is even remotely similar; the time spent gathering to doing other activities is way too high. This game feels like a chore. I don't mind harvesting or gathering, but quit games when I feel like I am spending too much time doing so.

Crowfall screams at me right out the gate that I am spending too much time doing meaningless tasks. It is that constant reminder that what I am doing is not fun. Throw a few ganks in the mix and you got a player that will log off and never return.

Actually, your post is making it real easy for anyone to look at gathering naked without weighting in the purpose whatsoever. In fact, even in this early build, you could play with a guild and split the tasks. You could be a player who never gathers or crafts. Rather focus all your attention on pvp and rely on your guild mates to supply your ventures. It’s actually impressive that the game is already built to accommodate different styles of players. If you hate gathering, create or join a guild that will allow you to be out in the action and supply you with the items you need. 

1 hour ago, BarriaKarl said:

So i take it that you dont like gathering?

Other than that all i got from your post was "i dont like it. I dont like it. That is dumb. And i really dont like it...".

I dont even get what was you point here? Gathering is a pretty big part of the game. It is as much of focus as combat is. Unfortunely not all system are online and there is no form of trading which means everyone must fight, gather and craft wheter they like it or not.

PS.: I am not really trying to be rude but your post was pretty much just a rant...

There is trading. Type /trade name & /accept-trade name

In a day when most games that claim to be "alpha" are just high-dollar play-first schemes, what you're experiencing right now is not actually Crowfall. You're playing a test campaign in a true pre-alpha. There is no glory to be gained, purpose to push for - it's just testing right now. You don't have the hardcore gatherers and crafters risking life-and-limb to go to the far-reaches of the world to get the best materials or the assassins stalking to kill said gatherers and crafters to loot their stuff either (well there is a hint of this, but it's relatively uncommon). There is no risk or reward right now because stuff is wiped regularly AND a good portion of what will bring danger into the world isn't even in yet (i.e., seasons). Safe zone harvesting-only is not intended to replace the risk vs reward that we'll see in the final product nor is this test campaign intended to represent the full-game that was promised in the kickstarter. It's easy to jump to conclusions, but in this case I would recommend patience. Just as when people saw Hungerdome and said, "oh, Crowfall is a battle royale" or a MOBA, it's understandable that someone would look at this current test campaign and confuse it for the final product. 

Edited by Arawulf

Your opinions may be a bit premature and lack context of the fact that it is a test, but at the same time you can only go by what you've seen and it is more likely that this is closer to the gameplay experience than something wildly different and amazing.

Gathering in this game is definitely boring and tedious, not a great way to start a new player experience if it is like this at all at launch.  

I was one of the first to say it and many more have said it by now, getting lowbie gear should be super easy, we know the mantra, easy to play hard to master.  It should be the advanced levels of gear that get exponentially harder to acquire.  

2 hours ago, Finland said:

Grinding mobs for gear is less way booring than gathering and crafting ;)

Definitely an idea to test out for a campaign rule set. I could see it being pure unorganized chaos in a campaign band like the Dregs. ;)

I don't think you expanded into even the small amount of content the game currently has to understand fully how the gathering/spirit bank/crafting works. You're offering an opinion based on a very narrow observation of mechanics. I spend more time roaming the map and fighting players than gathering and crafting because I use proper tools and have friends to knock down motherloads with. I gather Slag/Cobblestone/Knotwood/Boar Hide inside the safezone infrequently and inside of the 30 minute timer of a potion when I do need to actually gather those materials.

The gathering in this game is incredibly well-done in my opinion. Action harvesting with disciplines, skills, resource management, buffs and tool mechanics is probably the best approach to gathering in a game that I've seen since FFXIV. Also, the spirit bank has a limited amount of imports/exports which I believe are as generous as they are (50 imports, 50 exports) because the game is currently in testing. You cannot indefinitely deposit materials you've been gathering.