touchmybow

Gathering is not real content

10 hours ago, McTan said:

ACE openly states that harvesting is a play-style that appeals to some and not others. Okay, shades of grey, but okay. Why, then, make people "only" interested in combat do an hour of harvesting? These are the responses they will get, and some of those people will likely quit after that hour is over, despite likely liking the game they were about to play.

Ultimately, the argument "the first couple hours is not an accurate representation of the game" is valid, really problematic, and should be readily fixed.

I think, as others have mentioned, it is about new players getting a feel for the basics of the game--and this is undoubtedly important.   However, I also sense there might be a little nod to the survival genre which I think is done to appeal to a gaming trend that I would call waning (but I may be wrong about that).  I would say that personally I find that homage unnecessary and even distracting.   Sandbox MMORPGs can have elements of survival (e.g., food), which is fine, but they are certainly not survival games.  

9 hours ago, McTan said:

Let me offer a possible alternative: ask people to harvest and craft basic things: tools, weapons & armor. But then, those basic things never break and never get lost. Do it in the EK as a "tutorial," enter the first CW with those things permanent attached to your Crow-soul.

I think something like this will be implemented by release, because it simply makes too much sense.  You do not want to force a new player, who came for what is still called an MMORPG and also a Throne War Simulator, to punch trees (PvTree, a term I heard recently is funny and catchy and needs to be avoided desperately).  During the tutorial, you build your first set of basic gear and crafting tools, and you never, ever have to do it again.  

Edited by Regulus

As a brand new player to this game the biggest problem I've come across is that those that have been in this game for a minute have decent gear already. They merely camp the ore grounds and such. One thing was I went to gather some tin for the first time and a archer i believe literally kept me pinned to the ground and i was not able to do anything for my entire health bar which was 5k hp at the time. worst experience i've had at the time. I don't mind the grinding for the resources at the safe zone i like the fact that you need to devote time to gathering its a basic concept that brings something that a lot of games don't necessarily have, and others have said it takes out a bit of mob grinding which makes the game boring if thats all you do for materials. I feel there needs to be some sort of tutorial to help, i had a friend introduce me to this game and he helped me get started and learn the basics whihc the crowd on this game is very helpful in learning.

On 1/12/2018 at 3:51 PM, touchmybow said:

I wasn't going to complain seeing as how this game just won't change its pace/feel but I decided to post on the topic because there is at least one thing they can change, and i'll get to that in a minute.

First of all I could immediately sense that gathering was a shallow activity in this game. There's so much safe zone gathering that its literally just a boring chore. Gather to create tools that break too often, gathering for the weapons you'll lose, gather gather gather. The gathering hit system mini game makes me laugh, gathering isn't supposed to be action oriented lol. I guess they just took it from rust and said well if a popular game does it I guess it can't hurt to put it in our game :clueless:.

I wont get into detail how I think remote access to a spirit bank makes gathering even more redundant and lifeless. I mean there is no risk you just bank what you get as you go.

What I will suggest, and what surprised me greatly, is skinning as gathering taking so long. This is literally what I consider going too far to make us do "shallow content". I'd rather run out of things to do in a game than have to tax myself with the "this game is light on content" tax.

So a chunk of your game is fake content. This is why I'll always consider kickstarter mmos trash until proven otherwise.

If you don’t like it, find something to barter with.  It’s how the game is going to work.  You specialize in combat, crafting or gathering.  Rants aren’t going to get you friends and the only solution to your problem is to make friends... right now the content is shallow so they buffed your ability to gather.  Later on you won’t be able to gather very well unless you train your skill in gathering..