Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lone_wdf

Hunger System a bit out of place?

Recommended Posts

The hunger system does seem like a neat mechanic that your character has to eat every so often. But in this type of game where you could be out of your base for a long while, going around and killing players/capping forts and such. Having to stop just to click some apples seems like a strange thing to do for this type of game.

Opinions anyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, lone_wdf said:

The hunger system does seem like a neat mechanic that your character has to eat every so often. But in this type of game where you could be out of your base for a long while, going around and killing players/capping forts and such. Having to stop just to click some apples seems like a strange thing to do for this type of game.

Opinions anyone?

Hunger will be a factor as the campaign progresses...   the food and cooking resources will get scarcer as the seasons progress and the hunger gets stronger.   Guilds will have to prep food for the fall-winter seasons or face being hungry while trying to fight.  It adds a dimension to strategic planning... armies fight on their stomach.


6FUI4Mk.jpg

                                                        Sugoi - Senpai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guine who has a racial metabolism buff goes through his chicken ticker like he’s a starving Marvin.... and then you have wood elves who I’ve seen their food regen.... wtf at that.  Some developer had a hard on for wood elves and ninja buffed them.  Between food and movement... if you are not a wood elf.... shame on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it's going to be pretty interesting to see how guilds focus on getting food reserves while also gathering up all the other resources. I think in the harsher campaign bands, like Dregs, getting food is going to be risky.


OS_Sig3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hunger system seems like one that could have provided a lot of depth but they may never get around to fleshing it out.  As it stands now it is more of a small tedious logistical element instead of what it could be where you have a game where big guilds need to allocate land to grow and harvest enough food to survive and it becomes a significant resource that enemies can attack and friends need to defend.

I don't find the need to have enough food in your inventory particularly deep or interesting, it was pretty much a giant nuisance to everyone back in games like EQ and WoW (poor mages before blizzard let them put down tables).

But it does become interesting when you add more depth to it.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2018 at 1:40 PM, Frykka said:

It adds a dimension to strategic planning... 

What strategy?

Either spend time one likely would rather be doing pretty much anything else or grind out consumables that serve as a time sink to keep people in game so they can continue being in game...

"Tedious" tasks can add a level of entertainment and strategy, but what we have so far doesn't fit either for me.

20 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

I don't find the need to have enough food in your inventory particularly deep or interesting, it was pretty much a giant nuisance to everyone back in games like EQ and WoW (poor mages before blizzard let them put down tables).

I remember sitting my characters in a pool swimming into a wall in EQ to raise swimming. Means to an end that provided zero entertainment for me but I "had" to do it for the benefit. At least that I could AFK over time, maybe if they allow apple picking bots I'll be fine?

Mainly played a Mage in Vanilla WoW and while food was a chore, I at least felt active in providing it and buffs before fights/raids. There was some purpose behind it and interaction with others. Smacking trees with others or worse, solo, is not close for me.

Maybe once they add in seasons (that's still happening ACE?), and other systems it will become just one of many pieces, but currently seems like a must do main chore to experience other things that I'd rather be doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think it adds an element of realism to the game.  Does it make the game more challenging?  Absolutely.  Will gathering food/figuring out ways to sustain yourself be time consuming?  Most likely.  I think it could be fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think the hunger debuffs are too harsh and comes too fast.  Having to always stay over 70% or get a nasty debuff forces everyone to stay full all the time, this is probably the reason managing hunger is such a pain in the.

Starting the debuffs at 50% and making them dont suck so much would help a lot IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2018 at 4:40 PM, Frykka said:

Hunger will be a factor as the campaign progresses...   the food and cooking resources will get scarcer as the seasons progress and the hunger gets stronger.   Guilds will have to prep food for the fall-winter seasons or face being hungry while trying to fight.  It adds a dimension to strategic planning... armies fight on their stomach.

I think people are unaware..... winter is coming.....  and eventually the entire kingdom will freeze or starve to death... then they wipe all your stuff and start a new campaign.... if you weren’t already assaulted, pillaged and enslaved... not a carebear type of game that most MMO players are used to.  

1 recommendation:  go play diablo 3 or another game that wants you to suffer at life for being killed or on the losing team. We need to ween players of the safe feeling of WoW or whatever game had a safe zone.  Can’t wait till you can dominate and actually WIN an MMO (or at least the present campaign).  Would really be cool to see you go on vacation and come back to a new campaign.  And in case you hate being hungry now... I wonder how the leveling rush will be each reset...... 

Edited by Xpade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Xpade said:

I think people are unaware..... winter is coming.....  and eventually the entire kingdom will freeze or starve to death... then they wipe all your stuff and start a new campaign.... if you weren’t already assaulted, pillaged and enslaved... not a carebear type of game that most MMO players are used to.  

1 recommendation:  go play diablo 3 or another game that wants you to suffer at life for being killed or on the losing team. We need to ween players of the safe feeling of WoW or whatever game had a safe zone.  Can’t wait till you can dominate and actually WIN an MMO (or at least the present campaign).  Would really be cool to see you go on vacation and come back to a new campaign.  And in case you hate being hungry now... I wonder how the leveling rush will be each reset...... 

But the game is becoming a carebear type of game.  The game will literally have safe zones.  


Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For now....... crosses fingers.....as I sit 20 meters outside chaos beach head on my guine.  ..... see wood elf... let him pass cuz roots are broken.... but human..... mmmmm ... I like me some humans.... 5.4 will be nice when mole hunter works more.  Flare and the root are broken or don’t work as intended.  We validated flare yesterday to not work at all, and roots on wood elves don’t work soooo.... narrows my hunted species a bit.  

Edited by Xpade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe.  We shall see.  Not saying I won’t, but also not saying I will.  You can find me north of the chaos beach head....if I’m not back on chaos... I’m usually chaos... but too many of us and not enough enemies.  Hope you don’t think bad for trying to pvp...and no I’m not pro... just casual and no twitchy fingers on this guy.

Maybe once game comes all M.G. more we will have more opportunities.  I’m just not a player who’s like... omg... there’s the most experienced and decked out dude... lets go roll the dice!  I’m more of a profit/objective player... meaning your on your way back from boxes at mines with stuff in your inventory, I’ll gladly take that risk.  But coming out with empty bags swinging the big stick for pleasure... I’ll pass.  And no.. I don’t do duels cuz it’s  not an arena/moba type game.  I guess if you want to duel... I’ll be north of chaos beach head.... 

p.s.  I do enjoy the fights we’ve had! Love pvp and it’s fun cuz you never know who’s behind you!  One day they will fix wood elves and templars.  Humans and Half elves looking mighty sexy after the movement changes.  

Luv u!    .......... say it back or it’s weird....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Xpade said:

Maybe.  We shall see.  Not saying I won’t, but also not saying I will.  You can find me north of the chaos beach head....if I’m not back on chaos... I’m usually chaos... but too many of us and not enough enemies.  Hope you don’t think bad for trying to pvp...and no I’m not pro... just casual and no twitchy fingers on this guy.

Maybe once game comes all M.G. more we will have more opportunities.  I’m just not a player who’s like... omg... there’s the most experienced and decked out dude... lets go roll the dice!  I’m more of a profit/objective player... meaning your on your way back from boxes at mines with stuff in your inventory, I’ll gladly take that risk.  But coming out with empty bags swinging the big stick for pleasure... I’ll pass.  And no.. I don’t do duels cuz it’s  not an arena/moba type game.  I guess if you want to duel... I’ll be north of chaos beach head.... 

p.s.  I do enjoy the fights we’ve had! Love pvp and it’s fun cuz you never know who’s behind you!  One day they will fix wood elves and templars.  Humans and Half elves looking mighty sexy after the movement changes.  

Luv u!    .......... say it back or it’s weird....

Tommy Wiseau is that you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope!  No tommy here..

 

insert::: I’ll be your huckleberry....old movie I know

Edited by Xpade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like many things in Crowfall right now, it's not done yet. It will make more sense once it gets its design pass. Similar to harvesting, you currently only do it for yourself, and usually alone. In the final game the intention for harvesters is to move in groups with a leader providing buffs, guards to protect you, and the rest of the party running harvesting disc's. A few hours harvesting in that capacity should net you enough resources for double or triple your parties number worth of crafted items.

 

Another consideration is that the current chicken ticker timer lacks an in game day/night cycle. There's no logic behind how fast it goes down yet, outside of stamina consumption. In the finished game I imagine the ticker will line up with needing 3 meals per in game day. Those meals being bigger or smaller depending on your stamina consumption.

 

A third consideration is that we currently do not even have harvest-able plants in the game yet. Blair mentioned it recently, but that's something that's coming down the pipeline. This could include a new tool type and its own skill training line like Foraging. From there it's not a huge leap of imagination that planting will be in the works. We'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by baerin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, baerin said:

This could include a new tool type and its own skill training line like Foraging.

In the Harvesting skill tree, there's hints that the tool for foraging is probably going to be a sickle of sorts. Maybe even a scythe since they were used for farming a long time ago. After all, we're getting farm parcels so it makes sense to be able to use some sort of really old fashioned form of harvesting of crops.


OS_Sig3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly, 90% of the current testing environment revolves around combat. Harvesting and crafting are only to make weapons and armor for combat. In the tutorial video they released TODAY they said harvesters are the core of the Crowfall player driven economy. This could not be the case if there were nothing further planned to flesh out the non-combat elements of the game. In this case a non-combat system like cooking or farming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, baerin said:

Exactly, 90% of the current testing environment revolves around combat. Harvesting and crafting are only to make weapons and armor for combat. In the tutorial video they released TODAY they said harvesters are the core of the Crowfall player driven economy. This could not be the case if there were nothing further planned to flesh out the non-combat elements of the game. In this case a non-combat system like cooking or farming.

I haven't seen the video. I shall look for it and watch it. For something that's going to be a gatherer of sorts, I gets me excited to know that I am picking something that will make me valuable to the guild I am in. :)


OS_Sig3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...