Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VIKINGNAIL

A question for those that play this game a lot.

When you pick a race and class does it truly feel like a character identity for you, do you get any strong attachment to the combination?  Or does it feel more like a moba where you are playing some loadout but have no problem switching to another loadout if it performs better?

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

i think theres not enough colour to most classes, many spells feel really bland and empty

i hope having more customisation (hair/face/maybe even body types in the future?) and skins/more variants of equipment will give your own character more depth, at the moment there are just clones of every character running around so its very hard to judge

on a third note: its hard to attach yourself to your character when theres resets coming every once in a while, having permanent character progression upon "release" will change that i believe

6XZoThV.jpg

Did you get up early from your winter sleep - or why are there so much topics from you lately?

No offense meant, just wondering.

However, for me it doesn't feel very different at all. Especially since the chosen statue at the temple doesn't matter anymore. Sure, for Sir Playalot of Templeton it may make no difference and be indeed more convinient. But for a new player? I strongly doubt it. 

The Archetype system may not have been the best. But i think that it was causing a much stronger identification. It is undoubtedly nice to have more freedom now. But i believe that something in between (like a System which mainly presents the old Archetypes ... while those who know where to click (or trained a specific skill) may be able to go deeper) might enhance the overall immersion.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

I remember those times, when we, uhm, mainly played on the forum. Pretty well indeed. It's kind of nice to be reminded. Intended or not. So thanks. To whomever. ;)

2W1ZHpA.jpg

1 hour ago, Tinnis said:

because as the title say, he doesn't play the game, he plays the forum.

Actually the title is asking for an opinion from those that play the game a lot.  It states nothing about the frequency in which I play. 

The reason you are attempting this personal attack is because I have proven you wrong countless times on these forums and you are bitter and biased and can not help but respond with personal attacks instead of calmly and rationally reading what is written and comprehending it for its actual meaning.  

Now if you have nothing to contribute to the actual topic please move on.  

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

41 minutes ago, Venark said:

The character you speak of is the Crow, You are a Crow the body you utilize to run around the map with is just a vessel to serve a purpose. 

Do you feel any attachment to your crow relative to more traditional mmorpgs?

2 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

When you pick a race and class does it truly feel like a character identity for you, do you get any strong attachment to the combination?  Or does it feel more like a moba where you are playing some loadout but have no problem switching to another loadout if it performs better?

It's too early to say. 

We're missing disciplines dropping in the world, sacrifice system to level vessels, and being able to craft and equip vessels.

Once all that time/effort is put into building a vessel there will be a lot more attachment to it.

I do feel attachment to my current Race/Class combo, though that could be in part to my playtime under the Archetype system (as well as just how much fun I have with blinking and stealth abilities).

Having said that I can definitely see why players of certain classes might not feel the same, especially if they're effectively restricted to one Race/Class combo by the meta; they'll just be another Wood-Elf Ranger with no visual and little gameplay distinction from another (except @Soulreaver, that crazy bastard). @blazzen makes a good point on this; we're currently missing a lot of the typical RPG systems that engender an attachment to your character (Vessel), but once they're introduced it'll change players' perspectives. Balancing tweaks and access to more visual character customisation will also help rectify this issue, and I'd also suggest going back to gating the selection of your Race (previously Archetype) behind the relevant statue.

The "being a Crow that is inhabiting a Vessel object" aspect of the roleplay could definitely be played up more though, even after the Vessel system comes into play.

Edited by Xarrayne

:^)

12 minutes ago, blazzen said:

It's too early to say. 

We're missing disciplines dropping in the world, sacrifice system to level vessels, and being able to craft and equip vessels.

Once all that time/effort is put into building a vessel there will be a lot more attachment to it.

Those are some good points, do you think it will be enough to give you close to the level of attachment you may have had in previous mmorpgs?

4 minutes ago, Xarrayne said:

I do feel attachment to my current Race/Class combo, though that could be in part to my playtime under the Archetype system (as well as just how much fun I have with blinking and stealth abilities).

Having said that I can definitely see why players of certain classes might not feel the same, especially if they're effectively restricted to one Race/Class combo by the meta; they'll just be another Wood-Elf Ranger with no visual and little gameplay distinction from another (except @Soulreaver, that crazy bastard). @blazzen makes a good point on this; we're currently missing a lot of the typical RPG systems that engender an attachment to your character (Vessel), but once they're introduced it'll change players' perspectives. Balancing tweaks and access to more visual character customisation will also help rectify this issue, and I'd also suggest going back to gating the selection of your Race (previously Archetype) behind the relevant statue.

The "being a Crow that is inhabiting a Vessel object" aspect of the roleplay could definitely be played up more though, even after the Vessel system comes into play.

I kind of feel like there are many factors right now that are contributing to a low-attachment type of vibe I think some are feeling. 

Maybe it's just because everything feels so shallow right now but it's hard to really feel any sort of race or class identities, let alone race+class identities.  

I sort of wonder if the sounds and visual style of the game might also contribute to PvPers getting into it as much as they otherwise might have.  I myself generally find it harder to get into more cartoony games but I also know there are a lot of popular cartoony pvp games that people love a lot like overwatch and fortnite.  

I do feel the "attachment" to my general choices for archetype, disciplines, etc. meaning if I chose for example Fae Assassin as my main choice this is will be my main focus hence an attachement. Probably comparable to a favourite "loadout" in a fps game. 

Also I do believe once you have to work greatly for a vessel (high quality one for example) you do have an attachement (sort of). 

On the other hand I probably spent most money (ingame or real money) on the visuals of my characters (fashion wars or aion for example) so I do love to switch minor things hence I don't really feel "that" attachment towards the physical vessel. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

Just now, Thyr said:

I do feel the "attachment" to my general choices for archetype, disciplines, etc. meaning if I chose for example Fae Assassin as my main choice this is will be my main focus hence an attachement. Probably comparable to a favourite "loadout" in a fps game. 

Also I do believe once you have to work greatly for a vessel (high quality one for example) you do have an attachement (sort of). 

On the other hand I probably spent most money (ingame or real money) on the visuals of my characters (fashion wars or aion for example) so I do love to switch minor things hence I don't really feel "that" attachment towards the physical vessel. 

When you've played other mmorpgs with character slots were you usually sticking with a main character the majority of the time or did you like having lots of alt characters and hopping around?  

3 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Those are some good points, do you think it will be enough to give you close to the level of attachment you may have had in previous mmorpgs?

I predict that once those systems are in place it will be enough for me personally. 

I guess part of the answer to your question is that it depends on the previous MMORPG you're comparing it to and what their goals were with the game. If you compare it to similar sandbox PVP conquest type games such as Eve Online, Darkfall, Shadowbane, Mortal Online, etc. then I would say Crowfall stacks up just fine. 

The only game I can remember where I thoroughly enjoyed leveling up, the story and lore, and felt any kind of character attachment was Star Wars : The Old Republic. Unfortunately that game was basically a Bioware RPG masquerading as a MMORPG. That game also took over $200M to make. Comparing SWTOR to Crowfall is comparing apples and oranges. 

The answer to this question will vary based upon who you ask, however, I would say that within the goal of this game and it's target audience that Crowfall's proposed systems will suffice in regards to character (and vessel) attachment. 

1 minute ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

When you've played other mmorpgs with character slots were you usually sticking with a main character the majority of the time or did you like having lots of alt characters and hopping around?  

I stick with one main character since most MMORPGs do not really offer to change a character name (some do now) but when you choose a class and a race some I tend to use fitting names. Can't really call a dwarf "Angel" or so.... I mean you could but again... not fitting in my view. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

I think its really about ownership.

No one feels like they "Own" their character because everything is temporary. You don't feel personally responsible for any success because their is no real ownership, spoils of war or reward for doing anything...yet.

There is also very little guild pride because there is no in game guild tag/ heraldry or system. Team pride is important in siege games where you really cant accomplish anything significant alone. Owning a fort or a keep in crowfall does not feel like owning it in SB or Darkfall.

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

5 minutes ago, PaleOne said:

I think its really about ownership.

No one feels like they "Own" their character because everything is temporary. You don't feel personally responsible for any success because their is no real ownership, spoils of war or reward for doing anything...yet.

There is also very little guild pride because there is no in game guild tag/ heraldry or system. Team pride is important in siege games where you really cant accomplish anything significant alone. Owning a fort or a keep in crowfall does not feel like owning it in SB or Darkfall.

Do you think they can create a good sense of ownership and guild pride in time for soft launch if soft launch is going to occur in 2018?

Yes i do!

In state of a crow(back in times 2015 as forum was the only  thing i had acess to : northlanders, CFC and finally the official one and of course the time in hungerdome, when i tried out the former archetypes: legionair and ranger - which finally let me choose the knight)

In 3.0 i got my first steps as a knight(archetype) and my dedication to him.(even on my old laptop and a performance of 16 fps frequently)

Patch over patch i improved my skills. in 5.x i got the chance to choose in race and class, still stayed on human/knight(just cause!) with the addition of blond haircolour.

In future patches i will change my eye color to green or blue , staying human knight.

I am still rising...

Its me, NchDu - a decision.

The raven

PS: if i would be new to this game i would answer with a big NO but as my story is linked to the story of crowfall i have to answer with YES.

Edited by NchDu