Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VIKINGNAIL

What do you think they should do about spell fx?

I think right now the group fight FX gluttony looks absurd and bad for marketing in this game.  Do you agree?   Do you think they should tone it down at all?  Leave it alone?  Make it more intense?  

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

they are generally aware already

[#]

On 02/01/2018 at 5:04 PM, Tapsteady said:

@Tinnis VFX LODs will help. We're also adding an FX priority system that will tone down / cull FX less important to you only on your client to help solve visual overload in dense fights. When the "FX on screen" threshold is passed, the system will prioritize anything that directly affects you (powers you use, hits/buffs on you) while FX between other players will be toned down in different ways (less glow, less opaque, less particles, etc).

I can't say much more about specifics right now, but it'd make a cool update in the future!

[#]

"Better to create what we want and use dials to tone things down than create dull, boring FX that dials can't save!"

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

9 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

they are generally aware already

[#]

[#]

"Better to create what we want and use dials to tone things down than create dull, boring FX that dials can't save!"

This doesn't sound like an intuitive system, anytime you add layers like this and start trying to cull things it generally takes a toll on system resources.  

Also a system like this is just one more thing they would need to focus on and polish before release.  It makes more sense just to ease up on the FX across the board, helps with overall performance as well.

I think they would be better off toning it down across the board instead of relying on this kind of conditional system.  

It also generally starts getting ugly anytime different clients in the same area start seeing different information displayed, these are things people can end up manipulating.  

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

6 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Also a system like this is just one more thing they would need to focus on and polish before release.  It makes more sense just to ease up on the FX across the board, helps with overall performance as well.

I don't normally agree with you on anything, but I agree with this in a different sense of it. For me, I spend a lot of time in front of computers and in brightly lit areas at my job. So for me, less flashy and over bearing graphics in video games reduces my head aches I get. I get some pretty bad migraines from playing video games and trying to process everything on the screen at once. Even the computer glasses I use don't work very well all the time.

Take the cleric's left click attack. It's a bright golden hammer the swings and flies out. It kind of gets blinding a little bit as it flashes super bright at the beginning of the attack. Looks cool over all, I just think it would be better if it didn't glow so brightly. Just the first thing that comes to mind for me.

OS_Sig3.png

I haven't spent a lot of time in game lately, so I can't comment on the state of vfx right now. But I'll add that I think it's important not to rely too heavily on in-game settings where players have to set their vfx settings based on what they (or their computer) can handle. This often leaves players who choose lower settings at a disadvantage, as there are visual cues in the 'normal vfx setting' that get dropped in lower settings, making it difficult/impossible to tell what your opponents or allies are casting.

16 minutes ago, syiss said:

I haven't spent a lot of time in game lately, so I can't comment on the state of vfx right now. But I'll add that I think it's important not to rely too heavily on in-game settings where players have to set their vfx settings based on what they (or their computer) can handle. This often leaves players who choose lower settings at a disadvantage, as there are visual cues in the 'normal vfx setting' that get dropped in lower settings, making it difficult/impossible to tell what your opponents or allies are casting.

I think this is too much x10.

Totally agree. I think the effects could be scaled down similar to how health/dmg numbers were scaled down.

Apart from being garish it's also desensitizing. Kind of an, "If everyone's super no one will be."

Edited by baerin

There seems to be way too many AOE fx that stays on the ground over time right now. Even if they tuned it down abit with more players there would probably still be issues with this when there is 100 players casting long time AOE fx spells.