Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VIKINGNAIL

This is the ruleset that brings ACE the most $$$

Full friendly-fire (makes combat less frenetic and encourages more coordinated and controlled play and elevates the skill-ceiling and skill required to dominate)

Zero-import 

Zero pre-trained character progression.

Dregs

And oh yea, proximity voice chat (this has huge entertainment potential and variety streamers are good at marketing games based on funny social interactions through in game voice chat with random people they meet while playing)

What is this going to do for the game?  Well first it creates a more level playing field which is what the most competitive pvpers want.  It also falls more in line with what popular streamers are used to playing and makes it easier for them to market the game in a way that looks fun an competitive.  

Big name twitch streamers are pretty much the most powerful tool ACE could ever benefit from as far as advertising the game goes, and even playing fields are the best way to get these streamers to be happy hotjoining and trying your game out, and more importantly, consistently going back to it from time to time to continue to get that free marketing for the game.  

If ACE wants to offer niche settings as a throwback to old school mmorpg players that is cool too, but they have a system designed for flexibility and are honestly just killing their own earning potential if they don't offer true fresh start campaigns that allow for real FFA pvping.  These will end up being the most popular campaigns if you look at what kind of games are booming right now, why they boom, and why streamers make them look so good, so there's really no reason to cut off such an easy source of revenue.  

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

5 minutes ago, lone_wdf said:

Because nothing says "I'm going to grief everyone," more than friendly fire.

Well I mean there's always rulesets for those that can't handle the possibility of griefing.  There's really no reason for ACE not to offer what would be its most popular ruleset and help bolster it financially, when the game is specifically designed to give people a variety of settings to find the one that fits them.

7 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Well I mean there's always rulesets for those that can't handle the possibility of griefing.  There's really no reason for ACE not to offer what would be its most popular ruleset and help bolster it financially, when the game is specifically designed to give people a variety of settings to find the one that fits them.

The idea is good on paper, but in practicality. If there is a person who really wants to mess with people, they will. Giving them the means to kill their team-mates, spam proximity chat with Darude Sandstorm or Rick Astley. And this is especially true for a complete newbie to the game joining this hardcore campaign by mistake only to get wrecked by their team mate with their +3 custom named meme spear.

Having streamers advertise the game is a good idea yes, but in this early iteration of the game, the developers need people finding bugs and such. Not people clogging the servers trying to emulate their favorite streamer.

I'm not talking about now though, I am talking about what the game should have on release to bring in the most money for it.  

And while people spamming darude sandstorm on proximity chat is not my thing, I would never be against the existence of servers that are wild like that if ACE also offers other servers and options like turning proximity chat off.  

Like I said this is the ruleset that brings n the most $ for them and will help make the game more popular and attractive for big streamers.  

I'd never suggest they try to bring in big streamers now, that would have the exact opposite effect of strong marketing, it would hurt the image of the game because it's still too far from completion.  

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Just now, Weebles said:

PUBG pre-game lobby is a strong indicator of what would happen in CF if ACE put in a VoIP system.

Wouldn't know, it's very easy to disable the pre-game lobby voice chat.  But millions of people actively playing your game is a nice problem to have I'd imagine.

53 minutes ago, Weebles said:

PUBG pre-game lobby is a strong indicator of what would happen in CF if ACE put in a VoIP system.

I played a game, dungeon crawler, Kings & Heroes (not even a PvP game really)... annoying as custard. Nothing like a couple of teens grouping together poorly made socks talking everyone they come in contact with... I'll pass on the proximity chat.. please and thank you.

Edited by armegeddon

14 hours ago, lone_wdf said:

Because nothing says "I'm going to grief everyone," more than friendly fire.

My first question when I started playing was.... how do I flag and kill this guy taking my doobers.... made me appreciate archeage a little..... just a little then I remember farm carts and trade goods..and hours upon hours of driving a steam car for money..... ok, on my way to wash my mouth as I threw up in my mouth thinking of it.

Edited by Xpade

If a griefer is going to stop you from playing a ruleset, then you must not be very interested in what the ruleset is offering.

Personally I have no expectations from artcraft on delivering a hardcore experience, but I guess they could try?

11 minutes ago, touchmybow said:

If a griefer is going to stop you from playing a ruleset, then you must not be very interested in what the ruleset is offering.

Personally I have no expectations from artcraft on delivering a hardcore experience, but I guess they could try?

touchmybow, I am compelled to note that every post I have read of yours has been ridiculous, without exception.  Carry on... 

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

4 hours ago, armegeddon said:

I played a game, dungeon crawler, Kings & Heroes (not even a PvP game really)... annoying as custard. Nothing like a couple of teens grouping together poorly made socks talking everyone they come in contact with... I'll pass on the proximity chat.. please and thank you.

Yea that's why they usually have options to disable them.  It's not really that hard.

I bet you full FF with slow gear progression and hard to obtain items won’t generate as much interest as FvF or be nearly as populated. Why does this work in other games? Gear is easy to obtain and easily replaceable, and those games are generally drop in drop out with little dedicated needed. Why did it work in UO and DFO for some of the exact same fore mentioned reasons. Easy on, easy off and more importantly harvesting wasn’t a pita. For FF to work properly there had to be some other system of give and take, not just take and take.

Why won’t it work in crowfall ? The dynamics of combat are different. Slapping big circles on the ground every where doesn’t make for a good compatibility with FF. Combat is clunky and not precise, aiming doesn’t even work in crowfall like it does in other games with FF. I imagine FF right now with how hit scans work would be hilarious. Harvesting sucks ass, and gear acquisition is slow. FF will most likely expedite the necessity for more gear thus throwing people back into a grind.

I’m not against FF as so much as I don’t think the game is compatible with it. I’d rather not see it crowbarred in and done wrong.

Do it right, or don’t do it at all.

Edited by Helix

32 minutes ago, Helix said:

I bet you full FF with slow gear progression and hard to obtain items won’t generate as much interest as FvF or be nearly as populated. Why does this work in other games? Gear is easy to obtain and easily replaceable, and those games are generally drop in drop out with little dedicated needed. Why did it work in UO and DFO for some of the exact same fore mentioned reasons. Easy on, easy off and more importantly harvesting wasn’t a pita. For FF to work properly there had to be some other system of give and take, not just take and take.

Why won’t it work in crowfall ? The dynamics of combat are different. Slapping big circles on the ground every where doesn’t make for a good compatibility with FF. Combat is clunky and not precise, aiming doesn’t even work in crowfall like it does in other games with FF. I imagine FF right now with how hit scans work would be hilarious. Harvesting sucks ass, and gear acquisition is slow. FF will most likely expedite the necessity for more gear thus throwing people back into a grind.

I’m not against FF as so much as I don’t think the game is compatible with it. I’d rather not see it crowbarred in and done wrong.

Do it right, or don’t do it at all.

Gear should be easy to attain in CF if done right too, good gear should be hard to attain.  

As far as the combat being designed for full FF.  This isn't really an issue, the full FF crowd can adapt even with aoe-focused abilities, we've already seen this a lot in other games.  

They are just abilities, not rocket science, people that coordinate learn how to stay out of certain circles, how to position certain circles, etc.  

But as it stands now the combat in CF is pretty subpar, they definitely need to focus on that because that is a feature that will make or break the game.

It's going to be a huge misstep if ACE designs a system with flexibility only to not incorporate ruleset combinations that would actually be most attractive for their game.  This isn't early 2000s where the only people playing MMORPGs are a small crowd that are mainly PvErs and generally carebear, it's 2018 and there is such a huge population of PvP focused players and specifically ones more used to harder rulesets.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

11 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Full friendly-fire

Zero-import 

Zero pre-trained character progression.

Dregs

proximity voice chat

I'm not at all interested in such a ruleset.

Nevertheless I recall since kickstarter ArtCraft explained CW system offers opportunity to add more requested kind of campaigns.
Then, taking for truth the statement that this is a very remunerative option, hopefully the devs are going to consider it.

Technically the most conspicous part should be the proximity chat, but perhaps this system could be useful also for other purposes (rpg area).

I'd like to know what ACE thinks about after launch. :) 

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

3 hours ago, RikForFun said:

I'm not at all interested in such a ruleset.

Nevertheless I recall since kickstarter ArtCraft explained CW system offers opportunity to add more requested kind of campaigns.
Then, taking for truth the statement that this is a very remunerative option, hopefully the devs are going to consider it.

Technically the most conspicous part should be the proximity chat, but perhaps this system could be useful also for other purposes (rpg area).

I'd like to know what ACE thinks about after launch. :) 

Please dear god no proximity chat.... can’t explain how much I would prefer to not have that data traverse my ISP or utilize resources on my computer.

Another no vote on proximity chat.

Unmoderated voice tends to devolve to 'the loudest in the room wins'... That and everyone+dog has Discord for the low, low price of free. And Discord has the option for someone to ride shotgun on it to prevent it from becoming it's own special level of hell...

In-game voice services generally only have one option; turn it off - which is what most sane people do.

Now, I'm willing to meet half-way; perhaps something like Vivox integrated for the EKs (with essential per-user server mute) would be handy as that's a more controlled environment. Though I plan to just have some Discord channels for the EK (market, RP, C&C, etc), so I'm not sure if something like Vivox would actually get used.

Edited by raeshlavik