Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VIKINGNAIL

This is the ruleset that brings ACE the most $$$

9 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Do you think if the demand is there they should offer it regardless of whether some people don't find it to be their cup of tea?  

Does the flow of combat between different rulesets need to be the same?  

Let's say I am right, there is a huge demand for my ruleset suggestions, and it's fairly easy for them to adjust those knobs to create that ruleset.  Should they offer it?  

Sure, if it's easily implementable and makes sense within the context of combat/the game.

I do think that combat in general should remain consistent between the rule sets, and when I say that I mean how abilities are used and work.

Having different rule sets with different rules for abilities sounds like a potential clustercustard.

If there is a large demand (I don't think there is, at least within the community, and outside the community there are already alternatives that require less dedication and are more casual friendly) they should do it, but perhaps not as a core aspect of the game. Some time after release perhaps, but I think trying to work the logistics of making FF work with combat would take time, something which they obviously don't have at the moment.

34 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

So in your mind challenge isn't fun

Again you spin, my exact words are "not necessarily a stimulant to that part of your brain that defines fun."   That does not say i don't think a challenge is fun, sure I do.  What I said was challenge is not the defining factor of fun, there are lots of other pieces at play in defining a players reactions and attitude toward a game, but rather challenge is a factor for some players like you.   I am just a more easy going and fun loving person, and I find fun all over the place in life and in game.  I get your seriousness and when things are real and challenging and things aren't broken or OP,  you might just enjoy yourself...  naw, I don't actually believe that but I can try...

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

3 minutes ago, Frykka said:

Again you spin, my exact words are "not necessarily a stimulant to that part of your brain that defines fun."   That does not say i don't think a challenge is fun, sure I do.  What I said was challenge is not the defining factor of fun, there are lots of other pieces at play in defining a players reactions and attitude toward a game, but rather challenge is a factor for some players like you.   I am just a more easy going and fun loving person, and I find fun all over the place in life and in game.  I get your seriousness and when things are real and challenging and things aren't broken or OP,  you might just enjoy yourself...  naw, I don't actually believe that but I can try...

What you said is what I quoted.  I wouldn't say you are a more easygoing or fun-loving person.  I seem much more objective and laid back imo.

I also think you confuse skill and competitiveness with seriousness.  There's a reason I don't get triggered by opposing ideas and a reason others do, it isn't because they are more easygoing and fun-loving and less serious.  It's because they are too serious and I think the inability to handle opposing ideas gracefully speaks to an inability to handle conflict well, which will not bode well in a game like crowfall.  

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

6 minutes ago, Helix said:

Sure, if it's easily implementable and makes sense within the context of combat/the game.

I do think that combat in general should remain consistent between the rule sets, and when I say that I mean how abilities are used and work.

Having different rule sets with different rules for abilities sounds like a potential clustercustard.

If there is a large demand (I don't think there is, at least within the community, and outside the community there are already alternatives that require less dedication and are more casual friendly) they should do it, but perhaps not as a core aspect of the game. Some time after release perhaps, but I think trying to work the logistics of making FF work with combat would take time, something which they obviously don't have at the moment.

What if there is a demand for them to just flip the FF switch on and not have to change any ability behavior at all.  Should they do it, if the demand is there and requires minimal effort?

ACE has said they are willing to try many different rulesets, even crazy ones to see what people enjoy.

They have also said they will NOT redesign the combat system around 100% FF.  If all they have to do is "flip a switch" (like not allow grouping), and enough people enjoy that to fill up a CW I don't see a problem. They could call it NinjaWorld and we could all play assassins :ph34r:

tiPrpwh.png

8 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

What you say isn't necessarily wrong, but ultimately beyond any systems they could provide it all comes down to emergent gameplay.  Players will generate their own content much better than a team of devs could ever hope to keep up with.  They can try to do their best to give people more reasons to enter conflict, but ultimately it is up to the players and their behavior how it all turns out.

I can tell you one thing for sure though, servers are much more likely to stagnate when people don't find challenge as fun.  That's when you get everyone joining one powerhouse nation and steamrolling everything until everyone gets bored and has little reason to log in anymore.  

As opposed to players who do find challenge fun and want to not have easy wins.  

It isn't about Devs making content for us to enjoy. It's about them putting in all the elements and tools into the game that allows us to create our own content. MMO developers IMO are pretty terrible at coming up with story that's worth me actually playing through and caring enough to spend the energy paying attention to the story that they have crafted themselves. It's why I don't like traditional level questing systems. The stories are brain numbingly boring. Lore is different. It's nice short bursts of info that briefly explain something.

The thing is people are going to have a variety of different skill sets and levels that come into Crowfall. Dregs might be to hard for half the player population (an example that I know is 100% going to be wrong) but rather fight it out in The Shadow where they can focus on guild army discipline (which I honestly thing is going to be a good starting point for a lot of people with decent amount of MMO experience).

But I do agree with what was said that there has to be a balance between something that's challenging and something that's fun. If it's too difficult for a player to play in, they won't find it fun and they'll move onto something else until they find something that's difficulty enough but gives that rewarding release after they've had a satisfying amount of gaming time during their play session. What that person finds after moving on might not be something you or I or someone else considers enough of a challenge.

There's a lot of people who think the game I Wanna Be Boshy is too painfully difficult for absolutely no reason and it is. It was designed to be like that and the people that don't like that ragefest of a game moved onto something less challenging but something they could enjoy after they've reached some goal, completed some difficult task, gained a new level of strength (not actually level up but more on the lines of gaining more skill as a player), etc. This will probably happen in Crowfall a lot.

When it comes to considering things like Full Loot or Friendly Fire into a game, cause if it isn't fun enough for enough people to join those campaign worlds that have stuff like those as part of the campaign rule set, then it sends ACE a message to not make campaign rule sets with them in it (with enough evidence of course).

Every single campaign rule set idea and combination has a place to be tested and implemented into the game. Even if two different campaign rule sets in two different campaign bands have really bad components to them but the rest when combined together could make a wonderful rule set. We don't know how any of that is going to play out since we don't have the option to play multiple campaign worlds and bands at the same time with a variety of rule sets.

Like I'd love to see a campaign world that's an extremely hot desert that's almost 100% barren of trees and plentiful with stone and ore but the doober drop rate of stone and ore is lower than wood. And in that map there would be sandstorms that would decrease the accuracy of ranged attacks and cut visibility and view distance down by a percentage when they happen and they would happen often enough to make them something to deal with during pvp. To regenerate your chicken ticker bar you would need to consume water since you're in a desert and that makes the most sense instead of apples or meat. Add in other rule set ideas like friendly fire, full loot, etc. and it could be interesting. This could also be a rule set that would make stealth mechanics kind of useless to try and use as well (I plan on playing a stealth character as my main class). That sounds challenging and also fun and I just came up with on the spot.

There's a lot of room in Crowfall for everyone's ideas whether we personally like or agree with them or not. IMO there's an endless amount of room and we should be pretty open to these kinds of ideas regardless of who they come from.

/endrant

OS_Sig3.png

3 hours ago, YouTubejasonwivart said:

All for this kind of rule set and it is what I imagined when the game was kickstarted and dregs was talked about. Free for all / friendly fire on CW

I am also a bit concerned because I think dregs might eventually be phased out into shadows or a hybrid of shadows and dregs, which is not really FFA imo.