Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sasaki

Expansive cooking system.

Since there's a big focus on faction VS faction and Guild VS Guild in this game, being an amazing crafter has the possibility to be extremely rewarding even to people out on the battlefield, and I love that idea.

I imagine being a Chef in this world, and possibilities start filling my mind. Imagine a world full with rare ingredients to find. Difficult enemies with a chance to drop meat or cooking goods along with it's normal loot. 

Here's what I imagine in my head. All my friends are off Warring/Hunting/Gathering. I set myself up a nice camp, start gathering ingredients to make food. Over time my friends start to come back with ingredients I wouldn't have been able to easily get myself, and in turn I use them to make amazing food for my allies. Maybe as I increase in cooking skill, the power of the buffs food actually gives also increases along with rarity and difficulty of ingredients. Because of this game being primarily campaign based one faction having a bunch of really good cooks that give the more fighting focused members of the faction advantages in battle would feel really good. Naturally other factions can have more people giving them other types of advantage, or just get some good chefs themselves.

it'll have that. meat is dropped from npc animals with the chance for rarity to increase to legendary quality. Cooking should work the same way as the other crafting items.

Crowfall will want specialized crafters.

But I see what you're saying, instead of food just for chicken meter to have (temporary) buffs, well the cooking and the crafting isn't completely in game yet.

Give ACE some ideas for buffs! IE: decreased metabolism which slows down the chicken meter but reduces the heat/warmth. Spicy food which can increase the heat/warmth but the chicken meter empties faster.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

I'm not sure how much info has been released on the plants/alchemy systems. But I would love to see the systems tied into one another. Receiving unique buffs and duration from differing qualities of food could offer some interesting horizontal progressions. 

I'd like to see more cooking recipes as well as a detailed farming system where food supplies played a significant role in the game similar to how you might manage, protect, and attack food supplies in an RTS game and the impact that can have on an opponent.  And then a huge demand for people that are well trained in cooking because perhaps they could have the ability to make using food supplies significantly more efficient than default.  Like I mean that's the dream, where every specialization plays a significant role and truly is an important cog in a bigger machine.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

This made me wonder if they'll have cooking ingredients scattered through different harvesting professions much like apples and meat come from exploration/logging/skinning. Like salt from mining or quarrying, different fruits from logging, or mystery meat from grave digging.

11 hours ago, Jaynuminous said:

I'm not sure how much info has been released on the plants/alchemy systems. But I would love to see the systems tied into one another. Receiving unique buffs and duration from differing qualities of food could offer some interesting horizontal progressions. 

Pretty much nothing more than what is ingame already AFAIK., but really like most of the idea in this thread already, a deeper cooking system would definitely be nice, as it is not, it really just feels like an on the side thing

Definitely excited to see how this will be expanded upon. I know harvest able plants are in the works, and hopefully cooking will get its own skill tree.

I think I would avoid things like fire breathing recipes, but dishes that give small passive health/stamina regen or poison/disease resistance can go a long way. 

Another option is have basic buffs, but be able prepare a feast that can be placed in the great halls (like a furniture item).

Edited by baerin

There is already food in the game that grants trailblazer.  That is a good start.

I would be careful with food buffs, though.  There could potentially be too much cross-over with alchemy.  Potions give buffs, food gives buffs, only difference is flavor.  I would like to see some kind of design difference between the two (other than filling up the food meter).

Having alchemy only buff crafting/harvest stats and cooking buff combat/movement could be a baseline starting point, but I feel like there still needs to be something deeper.  Maybe when we get mounts/caravan animals feeding them will be really important (higher quality animals require higher quality food).

17 minutes ago, Kirchhoff said:

There could potentially be too much cross-over with alchemy

The main difference here needs to be Duration and Buff Strength.

Food buffs IMO should be much smaller, usually general or passive like resistances or regen, and have a huge duration. Alchemy on the other hands should be task oriented buffs, much larger bonuses, and a short duration.

So if a food gives poison resistance, a potion should cure poison.

Edited by baerin

44 minutes ago, baerin said:

The main difference here needs to be Duration and Buff Strength.

Food buffs IMO should be much smaller, usually general or passive like resistances or regen, and have a huge duration. Alchemy on the other hands should be task oriented buffs, much larger bonuses, and a short duration.

So if a food gives poison resistance, a potion should cure poison.

why not both? some food buffs could grant a big bonus with short duration or a small to medium bonus for a longer duration. same with alchemy. maybe i'm bias because i played wow and the food buffs are 1h.

etDenA9.png

2 hours ago, jetah said:

why not both?

The big difference here is that food is going to be regularly consumed as part of playing Crowfall, as opposed to WoW where it was optional for bonus stats. Also CF will have a day/night cycle, and seasons that will change the way you play, both of which lend themselves to having buffs related to that, as opposed to then all being the same. The main point is that there needs to be a good reason to spec into Cooking as opposed to Alchemy. If Cooking and Alchemy can do the same things then why bother? A good example is that a guild with a great cook might be able to last longer and be healthier on less food than a guild where everyone just eats the base stuff.

I could definitely see where food in CF might act similar to Elixirs in WoW, since elixirs often last quite a while and give a meaningful buff, but I'd rather things that represent the natural effects of food.

2 minutes ago, baerin said:

The big difference here is that food is going to be regularly consumed as part of playing Crowfall, as opposed to WoW where it was optional for bonus stats. Also CF will have a day/night cycle, and seasons that will change the way you play, both of which lend themselves to having buffs related to that, as opposed to then all being the same. The main point is that there needs to be a good reason to spec into Cooking as opposed to Alchemy. If Cooking and Alchemy can do the same things then why bother? A good example is that a guild with a great cook might be able to last longer and be healthier on less food than a guild where everyone just eats the base stuff.

I could definitely see where food in CF might act similar to Elixirs in WoW, since elixirs often last quite a while and give a meaningful buff, but I'd rather things that represent the natural effects of food.

I think some crossovers between cooking and alchemy are ok in shared types of buffs, but yea they also need to be different enough in meaningful ways to make it meaningful at all.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

14 minutes ago, baerin said:

the 'why not both' was for the buff:duration suggestion. 

Food can last us a few hours easily so I see no reason why there couldn't be some food with short duration and some with long durations.  veggies tend to be eaten often because they digest faster than meat, so i'd think it could be a good reason to have both durations.

Like Viking said, I can see Cooking and Alchemy having some cross over but not being a mirror of each other.  I'd like to see Cooking have buff combinations like if you eat cooked meat, you get a str buff but if you also eat potatoes then it changes to run speed (making something up here). This way we can have some basic recipes but get more buffs by combining them differently. maybe adding something to drink to the above example would grant both strength and run speed.

etDenA9.png