Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
soulein

Tighten up raycasts for both melee and ranged.

Recommended Posts

It is far too easy to hit your target with both ranged and melee attacks with the current system. Previously, the game had much tighter rays for both melee and ranged characters, increasing the level of skill required in combat. The current system allows players to disregard aiming to such an extent that it may as well be tab targeting. That's not totally fair, as you can still miss, but you almost have to try hard NOT to hit something in a reasonably sized fight. There is still a learning process involved in the game, but after a few weeks of continuous play most players plateau at a reasonable level of effectiveness, after which, practice and experience will yield diminishing returns.

I'd like to see Crowfall reward more skill and effort on the part of the combatant. If many of the game's newer players can't hit their targets, then they need to git gud. If this means we need to lower cool downs on some ray powers so they can be used more frequently, fine. This will also help dampen the effectiveness of having a numbers advantage over your enemy. 

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely agreed, though I guess the wide raycast kinda allows tanks to easier soak fire by being in front of ppl :P, though if that was truely what they were going for, a better option would be to just widen the hitbox of the tanks specifically (maybe even only when actively blocking)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gummiel said:

...a better option would be to just widen the hitbox of the tanks specifically (maybe even only when actively blocking)

I kind of like this idea, at least in theory.  


The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know it's much healthier to stick to eating mini twix bars over king sized twix bars anyway.  Devs, think of our health!

But yea obviously agreed, the game needs to require more skill, without a decent skill-ceiling people plateau quickly and generally you are not going to retain players in a pvp game if skill isn't the biggest factor in determining fight outcomes.  Players will also get bored quickly if they have nothing to aspire to.

If they had giant twix bars because they needed abilities to land frequently for them to get information on certain interactions that is understandable, I just hope they don't intentionally keep the skill-ceiling low simply to baby a group of unskilled players.  That isn't play2crush, and it isn't going to make for a good pvp game, and it isn't going to make for a lasting product.  Set the standard with a higher skill-ceiling and you might be surprised that even the unskilled players may slowly improve and try to rise to the occasion.  Don't baby gamers that can't adapt to modern times, all it leaves you with is a crowd that will fight you anytime you try to adapt to modern times, and a game stuck in the past is going to fail.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's more to combat skill than aiming in this game. Like knowing what class you're fighting, what their skills are, what disciplines they're running their cooldowns etc. so I wouldn't say that "aiming" is what shows a players skill. This isn't a FPS game. Tab targeting MMO's have nothing to do with aiming when it comes to skill.

I'd rather them focus on actual combat mechanics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yianni said:

There's more to combat skill than aiming in this game. Like knowing what class you're fighting, what their skills are, what disciplines they're running their cooldowns etc. so I wouldn't say that "aiming" is what shows a players skill. This isn't a FPS game. Tab targeting MMO's have nothing to do with aiming when it comes to skill.

I'd rather them focus on actual combat mechanics.

I'd say a game should require both mechanical and tactical skill, CF currently lacks in both, but extremely in the mechanical department.  

They need to look at what happened to albion online.  Albion Online could have had more skillful mechanics, they kept it dumbed down for tablet and "niche" old timers that missed UO.  

It left them with a vastly unpopular game because no one cares about PvP in a game where it didn't take skill to PvP.  


Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VIKINGNAIL said:

I'd say a game should require both mechanical and tactical skill, CF currently lacks in both, but extremely in the mechanical department.  

They need to look at what happened to albion online.  Albion Online could have had more skillful mechanics, they kept it dumbed down for tablet and "niche" old timers that missed UO.  

It left them with a vastly unpopular game because no one cares about PvP in a game where it didn't take skill to PvP.  

I'd rather not have to focus on aiming as much and keep my focus on what the other player is casting or what he has on CDs, so I know what my next move should be. And guess his next move due to my experience/skill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yianni said:

I'd rather not have to focus on aiming as much and keep my focus on what the other player is casting or what he has on CDs, so I know what my next move should be. And guess his next move due to my experience/skill

Good players can do that and maintain good aim at the same time. It sounds like you want the game dumbed down to your level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yianni said:

I'd rather not have to focus on aiming as much and keep my focus on what the other player is casting or what he has on CDs, so I know what my next move should be. And guess his next move due to my experience/skill

That's understandable if aiming isn't particularly your strong suit, but there are many gamers out there these days that enjoy the challenge of doing both at once, and if a game doesn't live up to modern standards it generally doesn't do that well.  ACE has very modest numbers for what they need to keep the game going and updated, but I don't even think they can achieve those numbers consistently with the level of combat they are at right now.


Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, blazzen said:

Good players can do that and maintain good aim at the same time. It sounds like you want the game dumbed down to your level. 

Tbh there can be both, but ACE needs to not give everything to everyone.  There can be AOE themed classes or support classes that may have abilities that aren't so focused on precision aiming, but they also need classes that do require aiming and they need to reward those classes for the skill involved in having good aim.  

Right now it seems like they want everything to be open to everyone with easy aiming for all.  

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

That's understandable if aiming isn't particularly your strong suit, but there are many gamers out there these days that enjoy the challenge of doing both at once, and if a game doesn't live up to modern standards it generally doesn't do that well.  ACE has very modest numbers for what they need to keep the game going and updated, but I don't even think they can achieve those numbers consistently with the level of combat they are at right now.

I wouldn't mind them tightening up just a little, but I'm sure if the aiming is too tight that people will stop. I guess it could go both ways though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yianni said:

I wouldn't mind them tightening up just a little, but I'm sure if the aiming is too tight that people will stop. I guess it could go both ways though.

What if they had classes designed for people with good aim and classes designed to focus on other elements?  Is that something you are ok with, or do you think that no classes should be designed with precision aim in mind?


Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look I'm no FPS god either and I can say with certainty this game is too easy to aim.

I primarily played melee in Darkfall because my aim wasn't good enough to hang with the elite FPS players. 

If you can't aim in Crowfall you should just play a Templar or something melee oriented. 

As you said @yianni there are other skills needed in combat other than just aim and those skills can shine playing a class that doesn't require as much aim. 

Edited by blazzen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, yianni said:

I think only issue with that, is it leaves people with limited class options. 

Is it ok if everyone isn't good at everything?


Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't disagree that it's easy haha, I can aim way outside and still hit someone. It works as an advantage for me. I currently have no problem playing Confessor/Scim Druid. 

I can't play melee classes at all because of movement. Plus I've always enjoyed mage/range classes.

If they do tighten it up, I'm sure it won't be anything crazy and it shouldn't affect most people anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...