Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tinnis

Moon gates to travel between continent (40x40) maps

Sorry I can’t play sound right now... @Tinnis is there an expected time frame we may be exposed to this map?  And am I understanding that there will be some form of teleportation mechanics?  Thanks and sorry.... D.C. bus rides are soooo fun!  Let’s me get my forum time in at least.

28 minutes ago, Xpade said:

Sorry I can’t play sound right now... @Tinnis is there an expected time frame we may be exposed to this map?  And am I understanding that there will be some form of teleportation mechanics?  Thanks and sorry.... D.C. bus rides are soooo fun!  Let’s me get my forum time in at least.

more "zoning" between two connected areas i'd say rather than what i would call teleportation, but who knows.

no timescales to anything [would need to see a zone sized map first before they started connecting multiple ones together!]

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Are we going the instanced route now?

The only way to use such a big map is if they move the 2k cap to each of the "zones". Otherwise this size will be overkill.

It does open some cool possibilities but i wonder if we will have enough people on to keep these worlds alive.

Will have to wait and see...

Ohhhhh... all makes sense now.  They have to partition or segregate areas cuz of server resources.  Can’t have all xxx thousands of people in the same “zone”..  have to spread that load out.  Thanks 

bigger the better, Daoc had no problems with large a scale map or did eso, both with no instances apart from dungeons. Eso map seemed smaller because you could port to a keep that your realm owned but if you took that away it was a huge zone.

The original daoc frontier was by  far the best with no ports, took a while to get across the zone which made speed classes important even though they migh have weakened your group setup. This will make planning group disciplines important. Big maps also helps to spread the action up meaning less lag.

I still play me some daoc, think it’s one of the best pvp games out there, only issue is low player base.  I like the full reset on mage/ranged classes and the fact that movement will cancel a ranged ability.  It gave melee a chance without having to make they hybrid tank mages.

When I heard that part of the stream I pictured something different. Namely, that these 40 by 40 zones would be stitched together to form the map, and that within these maps would be the landforms and parcels used to create the world. 

So square -> Zone (40x40 squares) -> Continent (multiple zones) -> World (multiple continents separated by water). How do you get from continent to continent? Moon gates. In Shadowbane these were a complicated system of "rune gates" which needed to be activated by a player with the Traveler discipline.

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

1 hour ago, soulein said:

When I heard that part of the stream I pictured something different. Namely, that these 40 by 40 zones would be stitched together to form the map, and that within these maps would be the landforms and parcels used to create the world. 

So square -> Zone (40x40 squares) -> Continent (multiple zones) -> World (multiple continents separated by water). How do you get from continent to continent? Moon gates. In Shadowbane these were a complicated system of "rune gates" which needed to be activated by a player with the Traveler discipline.

would be interesting if say certain areas or shortcuts were gated by player action or control. eg owning a gate and feeding it resources to turn on iniitally etc or as you say a disc

i wonder how multi zones will interact or be presented  with the world map etc

would be great to here details of their plans and intended sizes and how they might string these pieces together 

when I seen the picture I figure it was about time they say something. I remember them talking about no ships a year or so ago in a stream.

Now I wonder 2 things. 

Will they have it that players/guild could make moon gates for themselves so they can go between there own keeps and forts (Like in eve)

Will the places they have moon gates set up going to be open area or will they be in special places like Temples were players/guilds can control the area to try to keep enemy players out.

Everyman dies, Not every man truly lives.

14 hours ago, BarriaKarl said:

Are we going the instanced route now?

The only way to use such a big map is if they move the 2k cap to each of the "zones". Otherwise this size will be overkill.

It does open some cool possibilities but i wonder if we will have enough people on to keep these worlds alive.

Will have to wait and see...

5 hours ago, soulein said:

1 hour ago, dinorage said:

when I seen the picture I figure it was about time they say something. I remember them talking about no ships a year or so ago in a stream.

Now I wonder 2 things. 

Will they have it that players/guild could make moon gates for themselves so they can go between there own keeps and forts (Like in eve)

Will the places they have moon gates set up going to be open area or will they be in special places like Temples were players/guilds can control the area to try to keep enemy players out.

+ @Anthrage + @Kraahk

this is the sort of thing i picture. obviously they dont need to use all of a 40x40 area and when we get "a sea" and beaches at the edge of the world compared to current void i think it would make more sense...

random 5 zones laid out to make a whole world. gates to jump between 'islands' for the most part

rqVvYCN.jpg

Edited by Tinnis

42 minutes ago, Finland said:

Instanced zones for real? It's 2018 imho.. buy more resources or stop make games. 

nobody could merge all eks together ...
also it will helps the performance on your pc alot

rUQlYHs.png

Nice meme, instanced mean a loading thing. Thats all. I would like to know what's the plan. I just hope to not see loading screens while crossing zones (cells)

Edited by Finland