Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tinnis

Moon gates to travel between continent (40x40) maps

6 hours ago, Destrin said:

I really, really hope it doesn't separate groups/raids if they want to port over... this would be bad and a giant pain in the ass for moving an army and resources.

I would hope it's very much like how stargates worked. 

Once you fired the thing up it was locked to a destination until it was turned off or for a set time, then repointed.  Sure the drop would be a random location each opening, but not each player that entered.

9 hours ago, Destrin said:

I really, really hope it doesn't separate groups/raids if they want to port over... this would be bad and a giant pain in the ass for moving an army and resources.

You can just send stealth-fae first in the cell you're going to move your raid. He runs it over and, if he finds no enemies, that's ok. you all can teleport. If not - I hope you have more than one stealth-fae. You just need some time to regroup, but it's gonna be rather fast. The point of this restriction, to my mind, is to prevent you from suddenly falling on your enemies when they are not waiting, and you are all ready, buffed, eager for blood.

Edited by Niennah

15 hours ago, jtoddcoleman said:

I don't like to talk about stuff when it's still being figured out.  That's one of the most unfortunate aspects of a crowdfunded projects; you have to make bold prognostications about systems and features long before you start working on them, and inevitably things change (technical limitations, resources available, design underpinnings, whatever) that force changes or open up new opportunities.    Sometimes those changes are good (like finding the resources to move from archetypes to Race/Class) and sometimes they are painful (crap!  the strongholddesign was based on the assumption that building placement would use lots, and we ended up more freeform placement.  Now we need to add "tokens" to limit the number of buildings per parcel.)

I've taken the philosophy that, ultimately, my job is to give you guys the best game that I can.  If that means we have to change things, we change them.  Some people will get upset because they don't agree with a particular change, but if the game is good that's what really matters.  (And conversely, if we check every box exactly as stated at the beginning -- but the game is terrible -- we're screwed.)  So by that logic, my #1 priority has to be the quality of the game experience.

Todd

ps. yes, this will be the topic of a future Tu/Th update.

either way, thanks to both you and @thomasblair for joining in.

its fun to speculate looking forward gameloop and world design wise is all!

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

20 hours ago, Tinnis said:

wheres our map master owl @Kraahk at?

Someone killed my router on stream day. I suspect it was on purpose, so i won't dug my claws into this topic and others can discuss it without disturbancs. ;) Just back now and trying to catch up. Thanks for the heads up Tinnis.

Edited by Kraahk

12 hours ago, Niennah said:

You can just send stealth-fae first in the cell you're going to move your raid. He runs it over and, if he finds no enemies, that's ok. you all can teleport. If not - I hope you have more than one stealth-fae. You just need some time to regroup, but it's gonna be rather fast. The point of this restriction, to my mind, is to prevent you from suddenly falling on your enemies when they are not waiting, and you are all ready, buffed, eager for blood.

I mean I make a lot of EVE comparisons on this forum, but it's for a reason, and they almost certainly apply here.  Cheap stealthy scouts to check the other side of a gate is a thing.  And in eve, you have unbreakable stealth until you move after zoning in somewhere and that will probably apply here.

This does go to say, though, @thomasblair - the labor-basis of EVE's economy is not skill rarity, it's logistics.  I didn't think that was an option in crowfall because I didn't think there was the same system of gankable chokepoints that EVE has, but if crowfall has a similar system, diversifying the resources geographically to require a lot of logistics and then nerfing the poorly made socks out of training times is a viable option and ~ maybe worth considering ~

4 hours ago, canvox said:

the labor-basis of EVE's economy is not skill rarity, it's logistics.

That's the biggest thing I feel is missing from Crowfall's resource system right now - strategic supply & logistics gameplay on a group level. Map design is a hugely important part of this.

tiPrpwh.png

2 hours ago, miraluna said:

That's the biggest thing I feel is missing from Crowfall's resource system right now - strategic supply & logistics gameplay on a group level. Map design is a hugely important part of this.

Indeed.

I never really got too deep into null-sec space, but the similarities of Crowfall's proposed campaign structure would ensure an equal playground for everyone inside a campaign. No "High Sec" in Dregs for example. In that regard this game is even more cut throat. Seeing as how players will deviate towards easier avenues of gathering/production, being forced into the deep end equally with everyone else is a significant difference.

The Moon-gate system is such an interesting way of forcing logistics into the fore front, even more so than Points of Interest have the potential for. In fact, Points of Interest as the devs have explained/implemented/spoken about, don't seem to be very good at ... well... anything. I'm seeing these as very limited/narrow/focused used locations to build structures and that's it. Without being to downgrade these into regular materials, the Moon-gate system poses the most interesting challenges to the construct of logistics within Crowfall.

So many things I want them to do with this system now that we know it exists, and oh so little we've learned about it.

41 minutes ago, Scree said:

The Moon-gate system is such an interesting way of forcing logistics into the fore front, even more so than Points of Interest have the potential for. In fact, Points of Interest as the devs have explained/implemented/spoken about, don't seem to be very good at ... well... anything. I'm seeing these as very limited/narrow/focused used locations to build structures and that's it.

Isnt anything worth fighting for called a POI? The adventure area is a POI, Gates will probably be a POI, the resources factories are POIs.

If we stop arguing semantics and assume you are talking about quarries, mills, etc. (I forgot what the others are called), which are what is generally associated with the term, arent those just as important as gates? Isnt holding control of a steady stream of resources what logistics are about?

I have my qualms about those (mainly that it looks like they dont require gatherers action) but i think they will be fought over and will fulfill their role as fighting hotspots.

On 1/25/2018 at 5:17 PM, BarriaKarl said:

Isnt anything worth fighting for called a POI? The adventure area is a POI, Gates will probably be a POI, the resources factories are POIs.

+1 semantics

As for the Quarries, Mills and Mines - let us not forget; it's not just about a group gathering enough materials to build what they think they need - then move on.  They will not only need to repair but simply denying others the needed resources may prove more valuable than obtaining them for yourself.  I still believe they will play a significant role in the bigger picture as it unfolds.

1 hour ago, Mayhem_ said:

+1 semantics

As for the Quarries, Mills and Mines - let us not forget; it's not just about a group gathering enough materials to build what they think they need - then move on.  They will not only need to repair but simply denying others the needed resources may prove more valuable than obtaining them for yourself.  I still believe they will play a significant role in the bigger picture as it unfolds.

This so much the small size of the maps, and specially the low concurrent playercount currently makes jsut about everything seem a lot less significant that it gonna end up being I think

Traveler

(Major Discipline, Arcane and Divine classes, all High elves)

Moongates display a number above them indicating the presence of enemies within 50m of the other side of the gate.

• (Any Passive) Gate Crasher - Gain a 30 second barrier that absorbs 2500 damage after traveling through a Moongate.
  • (Survival) Beacon - Gain a buff that changes your icon on party member's compass. Party members moving in your direction gain 40% out of combat movement speed. This ability deactivates if you are hit, move, or enter combat.
  • (Survival) Stabilize Gate - Use within the vicinity of an unstable Moongate to stabalize it for 5 minutes, allowing passage (This is a secondary gate network, while the primary is always open)
  • (Any Active) Gate Crusher - When used on an open moongate, close it, and deal X damage in a 50m AoE to enemies on the other side. Enemies hit are snared for 20 seconds. Both sides of Major gates become unstable for 5 minutes, unstable gates completely deactivate for 5 minutes.
Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"