Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marzombra

Play now or wait?

I am a long time MMO player, who has burned out on too many MMOs to list. As such, I haven't been active since Guil Wars 2 Season 3.  

Once upon a time, getting involved with Betas and early access was a huge part of my life.  Nowadays, I use early access to get deals and to test drive games, but I usually wait until launch. Most recently it was Subnautica, a game I loved when it came out but resisted playing until complete. With its launch this week, I am happy that I did so because I was afraid that I would burn out on it before it was done, having to restart each time they updated the Alpha/Beta. 

Which brings me to Crowfall. The only MMO I have been dying to try but have resisted doing so.  However, lately, I have been craving that MMO action again and don't see anything else out there that intrigues me enough to spend time/money on it.

Will I spoil anything if I start playing now?

You won't spoil anything. When 5.4 hits it will be a good time to jump in if you're willing to drop the money to get in early. The assassin class is coming to 5.4 and more progression is going to be put behind skill training (like crafting trees will actually need to be done so you can craft things beyond intermediate level items but I might be wrong on that since I am not going to be a crafter). For someone new there's a lot to pick up and learn and familiarize yourself with.

If you have a habit of waiting before a game is more completed, then I suggest you stick with that since it sounds like it has served you well. No sense changing a consumer behavior that isn't broken, right?

Overall, I am pretty happy the direction the game is being developed. Other than bugs and glitches and balance issues (kind of irrelevant for a pre-alpha), there isn't anything I can complain about design wise. So my opinion of whether you should buy in now is a little bias. It takes a lot for me to get excited for a MMO and the last MMOs that excited me were Albion Online and Rift and we can both look at how they turned out. GG to poor game management. :lol:

If you look around in some threads, check out the Crowfall youtube channel's videos, and even read some of the articles on the Crowfall website, you'll get more of an idea as to things that have been implemented and things that are in the pipeline to be worked on. 

OS_Sig3.png

Fantastic answer, thank you. Not sure why my banner isn't showing, but I am a Silver level supporter from Kickstarter with another $50 invested, so too late for that LOL.  However, I could see the potential right from the start. The latest email from the Devs about RNG made me coem her to look deeper because their take lit all my fires. :)

I think I will take your advice and jump in at 5.4.  

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, marzombra said:

[...] Will I spoil anything if I start playing now?

First of all: Welcome to the forums. ;)

1 hour ago, entityofsin said:

You won't spoil anything. 

This.

Mostly because the game is in pre-alpha. Most of all, this means that we are in a different evelopment stage than we could expect in a beta (which don't prevent people from expecting right this, just because they can get in now) . The tests are a mixture of testing getting the data for specific parts of the later game and providing an environment that won't lead people to back off instantaneously. So some parts of the later game are not part of the current tests (though they have already been tested one or two years ago) - while in the same those things that can be tested right now often may feel edgy for some people. And this can lead to a wrong picture about the later game. So if you want to test right now - be aware of that.
One year ago it was a lot easier. It was absolutely obvious that the game was far from done and that the things you can see in the tests don't mirror the final game. But right now, the test environments look more or less like a final game ... only that you can't do a lot. Which can lead to disappointment and the wrong believe that what you see is what you'll finally get. Indeed right now you need a deep insight to understand where this game is going and to put the current test circumstances into the right folder.
That makes it difficult to give a generally positive recommendation. And not just for me. If you look through the answers towards this questions, you'll see a lot of people who answered very carefully. Not because the game is/will be bad. But because the development stage vs. the expectations of most people that get attracted by what they can see in the latest videos ... they don't fit together perfectly at this specific moment of time.
If you are an adventurer, you would have backed the game a lot earlier. If you want a final game experience, you would wait about half a year longer. Right now we are stuck in the middle of those two sides.

If you are pretty sure that you like the basic ideas of the game and that you will most likely buy it at some point in the future ... then do it now!
The test environments don't have the full functionality and the game loop hasn't been finished. But there is already so much to learn and know, that it is undoubtedly better to learn those things now, than to loose precious time once the game starts.
If you want to go the low budget way, you might want to join a guild before you buy the game, to save some money. If you are willing to contribute more than 200 bucks for the development of the game, i would suggest to take a look at the offers of the trusted traders, who sell retired pledge bundles. 

All in all, this game will not be suitable for everybody. Testing on it's own is not suitable for everybody. But if i learned anything during the last three years (and i don't think that any community member who was more or less intensly involved during this period could honestly deny this), then it is that this company is setting new standards to customer service & orientation. They do the right things right. If you are looking for a company you can trust in to build the best possible game for their customers, who really listen and take the feedback into account - you are at the right place.

For some people, including me, this is all they need to now. To all the others i would say: Wait until summer, until the game loop gets closed, and watch some of the new gameplay videos then, before you decide wether to finally join or not. Better some satisfied late followers, than early contributors who are disappointed because they didn't have the patience to see what they will get. At least that's my opinion. ;)

5.4 could come to live any day, at most another week fyi...   they are pushing testing and debugging on it every day and most of the crew is well in to 5.5 development.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

2 minutes ago, Kraahk said:

If you are an adventurer, you would have backed the game a lot earlier.

Guilty! Backed via Kickstarter (1,322)! Once it was successful I sort of put it on the back burner with the expectation that I would until - around now - to check in and decide whether to dive in or wait.

I have been keeping up via email updates. But now I see I should have been checking out the forums. What a cool community! better late than never!

FTR - Crowfall is hitting on all the things I love about MMOs and avoiding much of what I dislike. Color me excited :D

7 minutes ago, Frykka said:

5.4 could come to live any day, at most another week fyi...   they are pushing testing and debugging on it every day and most of the crew is well in to 5.5 development.

Thank you Frykka! Good to know, it seems I have good timing. :)

Yes, and if you get familiar with the systems during 5.4 we have all kinds of new shiney mappy mobby adventury things coming in 5.5... 

Edited by Frykka

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

22 minutes ago, Frykka said:

Yes, and if you get familiar with the systems during 5.4 we have all kinds of new shiney mappy mobby adventury things coming in 5.5... 

Oh, now you went and did it! 

Not to dissuade you, but just for information, you can expect that we are going to get a full wipe right before beta, and maybe a few in between.  ACE tries to keep them to a minimum, but they do happen, and currently the campaigns are short lived and you may not be able to export everything you "earn" from each one.

If your the kind of person that gets all emotional about that sort of thing, brace yourself because it is going to happen.

34 minutes ago, marzombra said:

Guilty! Backed via Kickstarter (1,322)! Once it was successful I sort of put it on the back burner with the expectation that I would until - around now - to check in and decide whether to dive in or wait.

I have been keeping up via email updates. But now I see I should have been checking out the forums. What a cool community! better late than never!

FTR - Crowfall is hitting on all the things I love about MMOs and avoiding much of what I dislike. Color me excited :D

I'll admit, I did this as well. I am like backer 12,000ish (not that this even means anything) and put the game on the back burner just to simply avoid getting burned out on the game early on. I jump in whenever a new major update (like 5.3 to 5.4) gets put on the live server.

OS_Sig3.png

You are already a KS backer so might as well log in and see what your money has been doing! Test out all the new stuff, give feedback, make some friends in the community. However, I would recommend that you don't play now like you would a fully released game (this is still pre-alpha testing) to avoid that burnout.

tiPrpwh.png

22 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Not to dissuade you, but just for information, you can expect that we are going to get a full wipe right before beta, and maybe a few in between.  ACE tries to keep them to a minimum, but they do happen, and currently the campaigns are short lived and you may not be able to export everything you "earn" from each one.

If your the kind of person that gets all emotional about that sort of thing, brace yourself because it is going to happen.

Thank you for the fair warning. It is good advice.  I have been in a few alphas and betas and that has never bothered me. What did bother me was when restarting, I would wind up doing the same beginning quests until when launch came, I just wanted to "get through them". Which sort of kills the immersion. That is why I asked about spoilers. 

I was there on the last minutes of the Star Wars Galaxies Beta, my virtual body is still being dissolved in the bowels of the Sarlacc. :)

10 minutes ago, miraluna said:

You are already a KS backer so might as well log in and see what your money has been doing! Test out all the new stuff, give feedback, make some friends in the community. However, I would recommend that you don't play now like you would a fully released game (this is still pre-alpha testing) to avoid that burnout.

GREAT advice! Thanks!

1 hour ago, marzombra said:

What a cool community! better late than never!

See, what i probably like most about the Crowfall community is the honesty. Sure, there may be bad and/or biased (or just different, maybe even opposite) judgement from time to time (did both of them myself often enough and surely will keep on doing so). But in the majority of cases their (our) opinions are always honest.

I got the impression, that you are an honest person, too. A person who has enough patience to first take a step back before judging things ... but also won't refrain to give constructive and distinctive feedback if there is something that doesnt feel right.

In that case you probably better should join sooner than later. ;)

Edited by Kraahk

My lack of impatience? Not so sure about that. I do want my toys NOW like anyone else. However, if you play games long enough you learn to hate shovelware and appreciate "it will be done when it is done."  Plus in addition to Crowfall, I am an early Star Citizen Kickstarter, so if I wasn't somewhat patient, my arteries would have burst by now! 

Have to confess, this morning I was merely curious about Crowfall's status, now I am chomping at the bit to get into it. So much for patience lol.

21 minutes ago, marzombra said:

My lack of impatience? Not so sure about that. I do want my toys NOW like anyone else. However, if you play games long enough you learn to hate shovelware and appreciate "it will be done when it is done."  Plus in addition to Crowfall, I am an early Star Citizen Kickstarter, so if I wasn't somewhat patient, my arteries would have burst by now! 

Have to confess, this morning I was merely curious about Crowfall's status, now I am chomping at the bit to get into it. So much for patience lol.

I feel your pain.  

That thing has gone on for longer than most people take to from kindergarten to graduate high school.  CR got WAY too much money to fill his toy box with.

2 hours ago, marzombra said:

Thank you for the fair warning. It is good advice.  I have been in a few alphas and betas and that has never bothered me. What did bother me was when restarting, I would wind up doing the same beginning quests until when launch came, I just wanted to "get through them". Which sort of kills the immersion. That is why I asked about spoilers. 

I was there on the last minutes of the Star Wars Galaxies Beta, my virtual body is still being dissolved in the bowels of the Sarlacc. :)

well there are and will not be any quests like that in CF at all, so no worries about that specific part, all the content revolves around the player to player interaction (whether that is fighting the enemies, or getting your friendly crafters and gatherers to gear you up (maybe in exchange for protection etc)). So if it is story'ish spoilers you are most worries about, you can throw that worry right out the window. The only NPC's you will be talking to would be thrall's which need to first be captured and managed by other players as their shops (though that is also not there only use either))

get in and try out the current races and classes.  build some harvesting tools, build some armor and weapons then go out and try to kill someone. or get in a group and try to kill another group.

this stage of the game is great to understand some of the fundamentals. learn how to get your starting gear as quickly as possible. get some skill training in while looking at those skills. try to map out what you need and what you want.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

I have been in the same boat many times but would definitely recommend you at least hop in and get a feel for a game. I have done this off and on and have seen amazing progression and movement by the team at Crowfall. 5.4 is a great time to jump in and start learning the basics of the game.