Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lordnoob

combat system?

hi everyone! i'm curious about this game and i'd like to know a bit more before getting in, so if anyone like he has some time to answer please go on! ^^

the one MMO i really liked (despite trying many) was age of wulin beta (before they ruined it), the combat system was really great and everything was coming down to skill in PvP.

is it the same in this game? can we block, dodge, guard break? or maybe some unblockable attacks? and if yes is it really useful?

well, in short, is the game skilled or not? ^^'

also i've read that the leveling is really fast (you can go pvp and be on an equal footing with others after 2 days playing your character) is it true?

Thank you! :)

46 minutes ago, lordnoob said:

hi everyone! i'm curious about this game and i'd like to know a bit more before getting in, so if anyone like he has some time to answer please go on! ^^

the one MMO i really liked (despite trying many) was age of wulin beta (before they ruined it), the combat system was really great and everything was coming down to skill in PvP.

is it the same in this game? can we block, dodge, guard break? or maybe some unblockable attacks? and if yes is it really useful?

well, in short, is the game skilled or not? ^^'

also i've read that the leveling is really fast (you can go pvp and be on an equal footing with others after 2 days playing your character) is it true?

Thank you! :)

1.) Game is skill based, but with a caveat that it's not as skill based as say a twitch shooter.  With practice and a good understanding of your classes kit and powers, as well as other powers you chose and pick up through disciplines, you have a much better chance of beating another player than coming out unpracitced.  They are also continually working to improve combat, because right now the ray casts are not in a good place.

2.) It's not that all "leveling" is fast, there is literally years worth of passive training in the combat trees, it's that training advantages are on a shallow power curve. The sacrifice XP system however is really fast.  With the design goal being a player dedicated to leveling up that way can do it in a weekend. Since it's based on item sacrifice, if you have friends to hand you what would normally be "vendor trash", you can probably do it in an hour or two. Passive training on the other hand takes along time to gain a small advantage, and that small advantage is never a guarantee that you will beat an opponent. The disparity just isn't great enough through training to make any 1v1 a sure thing.

Additionally, equipment has zero level restrictions, so you can suit up with the best gear on day one if you can find someone to sell/give it to you.  It's all player crafted, so getting the best stuff is a social/trade exercise and not a hunt monsters for loot thing.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

9 minutes ago, lordnoob said:

Two classes (Knights and Clerics) can Block and a third can get access to Block (Druid), but Block reduces the damage you take, it doesn’t negate damage. All classes have access to a Dodge (based on Race) and an Ultimate, which it your “OH S&@T!” attack. You can shieldbreak, which knocksdown your target if they’re blocking or has a barrier. Templars have access to Holy Damage, which can’t be mitigated against. There’s also the Holy Avenger Major Discipline which gives a power with Holy Damage.

The Devs just introduced the leveling system, so we don’t know how long it’ll take to max out, but it’s supposed to be quick and shallow. You can PvP from the start, granted you have weapons, armor, and know what you’re doing.

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

To add on to the excellent points others have already made, I just want to point out that the combat does not have the same feel as a game like Age of Wushu(Wulin), since it's combat complexity is not the same and is not set up the same way. If I remember correctly, Age of Wushu kind of plays a bit like Blade and Soul, which is much more like a fighting game (ie, Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat). The combat in Crowfall is very skill based, but it's less about twitch as KrakkenSmacken mentioned (like a fighting game) and more about strategy and understanding your class/skills/build. This makes it more about preparation and choosing which skills you want to take into combat, knowing how those skills counter other classes/skills and how they can be countered by other classes/skills. Completely different kind of gameplay, though they do both emphasize player skill in their own way.

sorry for the late reply, didn't have much time!

thank you very much for those precise answers! it's much more than i hoped! it's mcuh appreciated!

though from what i understood i guess the game isn't for me, the combat seems to be more like in a "traditional MMO", and also the fact that passive training takes a while, even if it only gives a slight advantage i don't like this, imho PvP must have players on an (totally) equal footing ^^' but i'll keep an eye on it and see if there are some changes made!

Thanks again for your precious answers! Have fun! ^^

54 minutes ago, lordnoob said:

sorry for the late reply, didn't have much time!

thank you very much for those precise answers! it's much more than i hoped! it's mcuh appreciated!

though from what i understood i guess the game isn't for me, the combat seems to be more like in a "traditional MMO", and also the fact that passive training takes a while, even if it only gives a slight advantage i don't like this, imho PvP must have players on an (totally) equal footing ^^' but i'll keep an eye on it and see if there are some changes made!

Thanks again for your precious answers! Have fun! ^^

You are correct--combat is more "traditional MMO" and RPG. and therefore utilizes progression (e.g., gear, skill level).  I predict that, when all is said and done, CF combat will end up mechanically most resembling Wildstar's (if that weighs in to your consideration at all).  The good news for you (and others like you) is that there are dozens of player verses player games out, some quite popular, where players are "on an (totally) equal footing" (or near it) for you to choose from.  Happy hunting!  

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus