Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Valdranc187

Time Based Skill system But why???

On 1/29/2018 at 1:50 AM, APE said:

What about post launch?

With Tomes, new players might not have the pleasure of dealing with initial "hard work" of clicking nodes and waiting just to make it to a more specialized route and way of playing.

If the initial time is part of the game and experience, why would ACE create a system that allows folks to skip it or at least greatly reduce the time?

Then again, if the game has a "super shallow power curve" and passive training doesn't matter all that much, why would new players need to catch up to begin with? We should already be able to play the game how we want from the start right?

Because, after launch, ACE still needs a healthy influx of players. EVE found that they needed a catch-up mechanic to maintain server populations and ACE plans to copy that mechanic in CF (and a bunch of other stuff).

On 1/29/2018 at 12:50 PM, Jah said:

There will be a catch-up mechanic. People will be able to buy Tomes containing stored training time from other players.

I'm sure there will be tomes available in the cash shop as well. They will probably have higher prices for tomes that allow higher tier training. 

This will set a ceiling (and a going rate) on tomes from players.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

4 hours ago, Santovenia said:

People need long and short term goals. The passive system offers plenty of long term goals. The short term vessel grind is something to keep people out in the world and occupied. Is there a better way to do it? Maybe, I'm not a game designer so I certainly don't know what that way is. The idea they sold us doesn't bother me. A weekend grind to max out a vessel seems ok.

-----

Some sort of progression system is needed, the passive system is just what they originally chose. I believe that they added the sacrifice grind because they were concerned about how impatient people are. People want visible progress right now (People are already asking for head starts from day 1 on the forum).

I don't know if I'd call the sacrifice grind a straight vertical power creep. From what I understand (Please correct me if I'm wrong) you max out your vessel in a weekend. Then if you need a new vessel a month later, you do it again. When your campaign ends, maybe you can export the vessel, maybe you can't (Depending on campaign and whether or not you won).

It's not so much that I find killing bad AI exciting, it's more like I can't always count on human beings to provide me with all my content. I know it's a sandbox, but even a sandbox can be made more interesting by providing some PvE content.

The current game loop, from my limited testing, seems to be harvest, craft, kill till you die, repeat. Would it really be so bad if they threw in a little pve? Maybe a dungeon or rare spawn that drops some slightly nicer crafting resources?

I'm not against PVE or stat gains, but to me the initial concept was there would be little to no need for grinding stats (leveling) thanks to passive training. Mobs would be more of an obstacle or added environmental danger.

Now we are basically being obligated to either kill things or trash items to gain power. It's not bad/wrong, but not what they initially sold IMO.

Vertical power creep to me is the need to do something to get more power, with it ever increasing over time. Vessel levels seem to be that. Get vessel, level it to get more stats (power), get better vessels and repeat. Be it you lose them or it can be done in a weekend. "Weekend" being 2 hours, 5 hours, 10 hours?

To me, they should at least given us a game loop to play with to see if there was too much down time be it group or solo to see if we needed to go out and hunt mobs or sacrifice gear as filler. Neither of which sounds entertaining to me at all considering the AI in this game. Now it's basically a must. Making game decisions on a unfinished test environment and players wanting stats now hopefully isn't driving them.

Why not add in quests as well? Or instanced dungeons or ..... They could do whatever and it would please/upset someone. To me it is more about what they sold the game as and where they are going.

As you describe, short/long term goals are stats and then more stats. My goal is to win. Hopefully my goal doesn't require a heavy time investment for your idea of goals...

4 hours ago, Santovenia said:

There is an additional benefit to having the vessel sacrifice grind, It's a resource sink.

True, they could also just increase decay, drop on death, looting etc.

3 hours ago, chancellor said:

Because, after launch, ACE still needs a healthy influx of players. EVE found that they needed a catch-up mechanic to maintain server populations and ACE plans to copy that mechanic in CF (and a bunch of other stuff).

Weren't skill injectors added years down the line? I don't know exact date.

Just seems a bit early and more of something that could of been avoided in the first place or handled with a different mechanic that didn't require players to spend money/time to just be able to play in a "super shallow power curve" game.

3 hours ago, chancellor said:

I'm sure there will be tomes available in the cash shop as well. They will probably have higher prices for tomes that allow higher tier training. 

This will set a ceiling (and a going rate) on tomes from players.

I hope they are in the store. I'm sure people will say P2W, but if the cap is only the max a day 1 character can have, should be fine.

ACE could tie the sacrifice system to your Vessel skill. Node 1 could be 10 levels of access, Node 2 could be 11-20 and Node 3 for 21-30. This way we'll gradually get to the max rank and it'd make those skills important enough besides using better quality vessels.

I've seen post mentioning changes but not having the rest of the systems loop makes it hard for me to agree with some changes. I understand why Developers don't allow the general public in this phase of testing.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty